Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204482 times)

Baron Of Hell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2280 on: April 15, 2010, 07:39:28 am »

I have the same problem with my monster pit. I go to throw a monster into the pit the dwarf freaks out about the goblin 5 z levels down even though there is no way it can do anything.

I'm planning on making a bridge between the bottom of the pit and the top of the pit. I'm Hoping the bridge will block the line of sight to the monster below. Then I'll throw monsters on to the bridge and release it with a lever. Once the monsters falls down I'll active the bridge again hoping it will block line of sight so I can drop another monster.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 16, 2010, 08:18:12 am »

This might be a well known thing but I can't seem to find it.

How do I turn off migrants.  I know I can embark on an island with water on all edges but I can't seem to generate a map with island small enough for that...

Please Help me!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 16, 2010, 03:21:05 pm »

What happens if a hunter reaches great or legendary marksdwarfship (still playing 40d here)?  Do they change profession to champion?  If not, what happens if I draft my legendary marksdwarf hunter, will I be able to undraft him?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2283 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:47 pm »

What happens if a hunter reaches great or legendary marksdwarfship (still playing 40d here)?  Do they change profession to champion?  If not, what happens if I draft my legendary marksdwarf hunter, will I be able to undraft him?
You will be able to draft and undraft him UNLESS he levels up a skill while drafted, if that happens the game will recognize him as being legendary at a military skill and cause him to become a champion

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 16, 2010, 04:16:11 pm »

So I'm safe if they're Leg+5, sweet.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 16, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »

I have the same problem with my monster pit. I go to throw a monster into the pit the dwarf freaks out about the goblin 5 z levels down even though there is no way it can do anything.

I'm planning on making a bridge between the bottom of the pit and the top of the pit. I'm Hoping the bridge will block the line of sight to the monster below. Then I'll throw monsters on to the bridge and release it with a lever. Once the monsters falls down I'll active the bridge again hoping it will block line of sight so I can drop another monster.

you could try buildign a retractable bridge on a z level above the pit and below the ledge the monsters get tossed from. That way the monster sits on the bridge until it is retracted then fall in the pit without the dwarves being scared by the monsters in the pit because they can't see them.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2286 on: April 16, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »

So I'm safe if they're Leg+5, sweet.
Not quite, they can still gain skill-ups after legendary+5, but it's been debated whether or not it matters after that point.

And towards Baron, a hatch cover should do the trick for you, the dwarves will open it to throw goblins through, but they won't get scared of what's below.

snus-mumrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 17, 2010, 03:30:24 pm »

How do I turn off migrants. 

Just set [POPULATION_CAP:5] in the init.txt file. You can even change it dynamically during the game if you want (Some say it's an exploit, some say it's migration policy)

jfkberdan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 17, 2010, 04:45:29 pm »

I got a question...

Why does my dwarves don't fill the murky pool with water?

I zoned it and assigned it as pit/pond.

I also have zoned the water source which is the brook.

I also have some buckets.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: April 18, 2010, 05:45:45 am »

Will magma burn away wooden stairs?

Also, say I have a pump like this:

_PPDW
____W

_=floor
P=pump
D=down stair
W=wall

Will this pump work?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: April 18, 2010, 10:43:10 am »

Will magma burn away wooden stairs?

Nope!  All constructions are completely invincible, except against cave-ins and deconstructing dwarves.  Also I suspect if you poured water on the magma-covered stairs, they would be destroyed as the obsidian formed.  But the answer is no, they won't burn away (:

_PPDW
____W

_=floor
P=pump
D=down stair
W=wall

Will this pump work?

Good question.  It ought to, since the down-stair represents a hole in the floor (which water definitely can flow through), but I don't know if it actually works.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: April 18, 2010, 03:51:16 pm »

How do you take pictures, like for the succession/community fort games?
All I can find is a "movies" option.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: April 18, 2010, 04:11:57 pm »

How do you take pictures, like for the succession/community fort games?
All I can find is a "movies" option.

Just press the PrtScr or PrintScreen button on your keyboard while the game is up, then go into Paint or some other image program and hit ctrl-v to paste.  The entire screenshot will be pasted in, and you can crop it if you want to.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2293 on: April 18, 2010, 04:38:23 pm »

'Champion' is a position now, I'm pretty sure your military dwarves won't be locked into a combat role anymore.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Vizx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: April 18, 2010, 06:45:24 pm »

I'm trying to make soap, but I keep getting an error saying I need lye-bearing barrels. I have plenty of lye-bearing buckets and I'm pretty sure I have empty barrels, as well as a misc. liquids stockpile. The stockpile has one barrel in it which I would assume is lye-bearing, yet my dwarves still can't seem to create soap.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 181