Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204573 times)

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2325 on: April 26, 2010, 03:24:20 am »

Can anybody tell me the exact requirements to build a water wheel? I built one over a river with a screw pump attached, but it still says there is no power.

It's probably a brook you're in. Channel the 3 squares under the waterweel.

You'll have to deconstruct the waterwell first. Don't forget that when you reconstruct them you might have some pieces of wood in the channel below. Make sure you don't use those for your construction since then your construction won't ever finish.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 26, 2010, 09:54:39 am »

you also have to build the wheel so that it's in a 'hanging' state, which means that you build the machine you want it connected to (axle, gear mechanism, etc.) and THEN build the water wheel.  Just like hydra said, you also have to make sure it's channeled out under the wheel if its on a brook.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Moth Bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 26, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »

Hi, I just started playing the game and I'm hooked :)

I've designated an items-only refuse pile to collect bones and skulls, but I can't get any dwarves to move them there. I added instructions to take from the food stockpile but they are still being completely ignored. I've made sure there are dwarves designated to haul refuse. Can anyone help?

Curris

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dorf Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 26, 2010, 10:55:38 pm »

I have a question. I'm still playing 40d Edition. I have noticed a bug that seems that if I pause the game for more than ten minutes (say I'm designating mining or dump jobs) that my administrator will continue to process work orders, gaining legendary in what amounts to zero time for him (Since the game is paused, and I keep a massive queue of build orders of something useless, like sand collection).

Just saying, has anyone else noticed this? I usually savescum out of it, because, while legendaries are nice, I prefer to earn them and zero-time training seems abusive to me.
My brain has paradox absorbing crumple zones. . .

ReploidGodX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: April 26, 2010, 11:10:37 pm »

I've designated an items-only refuse pile to collect bones and skulls, but I can't get any dwarves to move them there. I added instructions to take from the food stockpile but they are still being completely ignored. I've made sure there are dwarves designated to haul refuse. Can anyone help?
I'm having a similar issue, but with furniture stockpiles.
I even deleted the stockpile and remade it and it's still not being used, my workshops are getting the [CLT] tag now and I'd really like to know why no one is moving furniture.
"Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back."

Curris

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dorf Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:55 am »

Check your 'o' orders, and then 'r' for refuse. Check that A) you are collecting refuse from outside. B) Ensure dwarves have refuse hauling labors C) also under orders, check 'F' for Forbidden.. maybe these bones were forbidden when you killed them. You can fix that by highlighting them with 'k' and then 'f' to reclaim them. D) be patient, hauling usually gets dropped to low spot on job priority
My brain has paradox absorbing crumple zones. . .

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 27, 2010, 01:20:09 am »

You should double- and triple-check your stockpiles to make sure they're accepting the specific items you want. At times you will see logistical backlogs that may seem like your dwarves are just slacking off. Also, having a bone and shell stockpile that takes from your food stockpiles is entirely unnecessary, since bones and shells are never actually properly stockpiled there (though they may litter your food stockpiles if there's nowhere for them to be taken). Just make an indoor bone and shell stockpile and said items should get taken there eventually. Reason I said indoor is that bones, shells and skulls left outdoors will rot away, while you instead probably want to save them for ammo and decorations.

I don't know about work order processing while paused, but I really wouldn't worry about it. The rate at which an experienced manager processes orders - and gets more experienced accordingly - is insane either way, so you're hardly gaining an advantage because of that supposed bug.

A question of my own: is it possible for a dwarf to pass out from sunlight due to cave adaptation? I've seen dwarves - who had previously remained underground for years on end - sleep outside. Since they were neither soldiers instructed to sleep on the ground, nor hunters, it's weird that they wouldn't rather go inside to sleep in their grand or royal bedrooms and instead sleep in the grass while vomiting over themselves.

Moth Bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: April 27, 2010, 05:23:58 am »

Thanks, I'll try those. I'm pretty sure it isn't a logistical backlog, this has been ongoing for ages, though I suppose they might be continually giving higher priority to other jobs.

If I appoint a manager and give him an office, does that make it easier to co-ordinate all the tasks?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: April 27, 2010, 09:24:19 am »

Managers are responsible for approving work orders made via u -> m. I don't think they have anything to do with who gets what task.

What you can do to sort of streamline this sort of thing is try to have as many haulers as possible, and to possibly specialize them. In my current fort I have 58 dwarves, 30 of which are employed primarily in logistics; you generally only need one guy for each qualified job, if even that. For example, for the whole 35 years of my current fort I've only employed one grower, as well as one cook, and I've had a more or less steady (meaning, I break even with my current production) surplus of food that would last my dwarves 50 years if they suddenly stopped producing more. I give you this example to illustrate how easy it is to produce large quantities of goods with a low investment in dwarfpower.

Another measure to ease the strain on logistics is placing your workshops relatively to input (raw materials) and output (products) in such a way as to make the supply lines as short as reasonably possible. I guess that's pretty self-explanatory, though.

Moth Bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 27, 2010, 11:04:18 am »

Thank you. Yes, it is kind of self-explanatory but things do need ordering.

It's only my second fort so very higgledy-piggledy in its construction. It all got a bit hectic after two large (well, I thought they were large - about 15 and 10 respectively) waves of migrants arrived.

Maybe I'll cancel all orders and start everyone afresh. So there's no need to worry about dwarves being idle if they're only assigned one job?

Last question for now - how do I find magma? I picked an area with plenty of volcanic rock (mainly basalt and gabbro) thinking that was a pointer, but I've done a fair bit of delving and there's no sign.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 27, 2010, 11:23:48 am »

I have a question. I'm still playing 40d Edition. I have noticed a bug that seems that if I pause the game for more than ten minutes (say I'm designating mining or dump jobs) that my administrator will continue to process work orders, gaining legendary in what amounts to zero time for him (Since the game is paused, and I keep a massive queue of build orders of something useless, like sand collection).

Just saying, has anyone else noticed this? I usually savescum out of it, because, while legendaries are nice, I prefer to earn them and zero-time training seems abusive to me.

What the crap...
I've confirmed this with Record-Keeping: while the enter key is down, in dig-designation-mode, a record keeping dwarf gained experience at the rate of 3 points per second (89 experience in 30 seconds).  Specifically, he gained 1 exp at 1/3 second intervals.  This must be related to those liaison dialogues that pop up while time should be stopped.  Tapping enter rapidly doesn't add a point each time, but several very short taps can result in a point.

Though fascinating, it's not nearly enough experience to worry about in my opinion.  It'd take 100 minutes of continuous enter-holding to get the 18000 points for legendary.  You're probably only getting an extra or two each time you designate, so even hundreds of designations are a drop in the bucket.  Think of it as training your administrator by administrating (:

Well, unless the effect is much greater for job managers, which would make sense actually.  Huh.  I'll test that as soon as I get some migrants, thanks for telling us about this!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 27, 2010, 11:27:35 am »

more evidence that pushing paper (stone slabs?) is the best profession for an ambitious young dwarf looking for healthy work :P
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Cult of the Raven

• Bay Watcher
  • likes beards for their dwarfyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:47 pm »

I have a question:

I was playing around with the map editor in 30.3, and I realized it wasn't showing the entire map, so I'd get a square area that i'd painted, and a huge area of blankness. I'm also a little confused about the map editor in general, but I looked and couldn't find anything about it on the wiki or forums - does anyone know about the map editor at all and can help me figure it out?

(I'm trying to reproduce the map in the RPG setting i've made so I can simulate some of my mining towns with forts. I think it will be quite fun, but I want to figure out the map editor first.)

Moth Bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 28, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »

A new question.

Do underground furnaces, smelters and forges need ventilation?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 28, 2010, 01:07:16 pm »

A new question.

Do underground furnaces, smelters and forges need ventilation?

Not at all.

I think I saw a 40d mod which tried to make smelter reactions cause smoke or miasma, but without mods, the answer is no.

Just look out for magma critters!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 181