Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204606 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2520 on: May 20, 2010, 03:14:10 pm »

Are there creatures in the magma sea?

Sorry, this thread is for 40d only (though unfortunately it's not marked as such).  There's a different thread for 2010 questions.

You might want to say your question is 2010 related then spoiler it, or just remove it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: May 20, 2010, 04:09:50 pm »

This is kind of a two part question, What do you feel is the best or fastest way to make legendary weapon or armorsmiths, work their skill piece by piece, or make a bunch of peasants into the appropriate smith and hope for a mood, or maybe some other way?
Also, how important do you feel it is for the dorfs to have a preference for whatever it is they make?

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #2522 on: May 20, 2010, 05:53:52 pm »

Can stockpiles be set on top of a retracting bridge?

Do falling objects other than stones hurt things?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 20, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »

As stockpiles are technically treated as buildings, stockpiles can not be laid over bridges.

No falling objects can hurt anything ever. Falling floors and walls are a different story, in that they kill everything in their way.

This is kind of a two part question, What do you feel is the best or fastest way to make legendary weapon or armorsmiths, work their skill piece by piece, or make a bunch of peasants into the appropriate smith and hope for a mood, or maybe some other way?
Also, how important do you feel it is for the dorfs to have a preference for whatever it is they make?

If you have a lot of ore, like if you come across several clusters of magnetite, you can usually afford to train your armorsmiths and weaponsmiths by piece by piece. If you have an armorsmith already at your fort, it will save time training him up than starting from a random peasant. Note that chain leggings and giant axe blades return half a bar back when you melt them, thus making them the best items to use for training up metalworkers.

Having a bunch of peasants make one piece of armor can also give you a legendary armorsmith fairly quickly, although sometimes you don't want to wait for one to get a mood.

Preferences are important, as they improve the quality level of items a dwarf makes if he works with materials he prefers or he makes an item he prefers. If he makes an item he prefers out of a material he prefers, the effects stack.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 21, 2010, 06:38:52 am »

I'd like my 40d unicorns to be tameable AND war-trainable.

Show me the way!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:06 am »

I'd like my 40d unicorns to be tameable AND war-trainable.

Show me the way!

Open up the raws file with unicorns (creatures-----.txt), go under the unicorn heading and add in (anywhere) "[PET]" or "[PET_EXOTIC]" for tameable, and throw on "[TRAINABLE]" or "[TRAINABLE_WAR]" for war trainableness.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:14 am »

No need for [TRAINABLE_WAR]. The right tag is simply [TRAINABLE].

[PET_EXOTIC] makes your unicorns only able to be tamed with the arrival of the dungeon master. [PET] will make them tamable by anyone.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 21, 2010, 12:59:02 pm »

I thought that [TRAINABLE_WAR] would make it so they could be trained only for war, not hunting.

And yeah. [PET_EXOTIC] means you'll need a DM. but you can actually get those in 40d, so it's not a problem.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: May 21, 2010, 02:48:24 pm »

@Urist McOverlord, Jim Groovester: thanks; one more thing: how do I capture them Unicorns other than using the cage traps?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 21, 2010, 02:49:44 pm »

Cage traps are your only option.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 21, 2010, 04:39:22 pm »

I'm planning a new fortess: my pop cap is 200, so I'm wondering what size of army & of barrack I'm realistically lookin at.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: May 22, 2010, 10:18:54 am »

40d here, will gem windows melt when next to magma?

Army size: 20 should be more than enough, with good equipment and skills they can waste anything.

As to capturing unicorns or other creatures, other options than cage traps exist. The easiest ones is to either lure the creatures into a walled of enclosure somehow and then close of the entrance they came through, using drawbridge/floodgates etc. or make a pit with a retractable bridge over it and pull the lever/make pressure plates so that the creature fall in when it is standing on the bridge and it retracts.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:25:28 am by Demonic Spoon »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 22, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »

As to capturing unicorns or other creatures, other options than cage traps exist. The easiest ones is to either lure the creatures into a walled of enclosure somehow and then close of the entrance they came through, using drawbridge/floodgates etc. or make a pit with a retractable bridge over it and pull the lever/make pressure plates so that the creature fall in when it is standing on the bridge and it retracts.

Except he wants to tame and train them, so they need to be caged.  Unless dwarfs try to tame stunned creatures, which I doubt (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: May 22, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »

Oh right, missed that part, cage traps are the only way then.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: May 23, 2010, 12:18:46 am »

1) Is "forced to endure the decay of a ...." a random-appear thoght?
2) Is it possible to force a dwarf to make furniture from a particular material? I mean 'only mudstone' for example
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:24:33 am by Shangurath »
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 181