Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204697 times)

Insignificant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:39 pm »

Well I'll double check all that.
Another quick thing what determines the z-level caravans appear on?
Mine appear halfway up the mountain about 3zlevels up.
They get stuck go psycho and die.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:03 pm »

They pick a spot at random from all the locations that can path to your depot.

So generally they shouldn't get trapped, unless something crazy happened like a tree growing to adulthood at just the right moment to block the path (or if you mine or build something in the way).

Also, this means if you smooth a 3-tile path between the map edge and the depot and line it with enough pits, statues, or walls to prevent a wagon from passing though, you can force the wagons to use a single road.  Use (D) to check for wagon accessibility.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »

Hey, my mayor decided to put an export ban on electrum items. Sadly, my whole economy is based off of electrum exports.

I had the goods hauled to the depot and on the wiki it said that all of the haulers would be punished once the items leave the map. My question is should I kill the mayor or trap the captain of the guard to where he can't punish things? I don't want to kill the mayor since he's also my broker, but punishing that many haulers could result in a tantrum spiral.

EDIT: I just let them all get beat up. A couple folks died, but my guard captain wasn't that tough.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:29:35 pm by Hortun »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »

Is there anyway i can change who my mayor is? other than killing him...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2009, 09:20:56 pm »

No, your leader noble is elected. Gonna have to kill him.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2009, 10:17:02 pm »

No, your leader noble is elected. Gonna have to kill him.

What decides the qualities for the election?
Couldnt i just train a dwarf up in those skills? if i can?
Cos i cant really kill him as hes one of my legendary miners.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:56 pm »

But legendary miners are soooo easy (to obtain). Letting go of one shouldn't be a problem.
-st

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2009, 12:14:21 am »

What decides the qualities for the election?
Couldnt i just train a dwarf up in those skills? if i can?
Cos i cant really kill him as hes one of my legendary miners.
You can, but the skills in question are social skills which are relatively hard to train up on a given dwarf.  The best you can do is turn all the labors off of the one you want to be mayor, so he spends all his time talking.

You can also draft a dwarf to make them ineligible for elections.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »

I don't think this thing about caravans always appearing where they can path to your depot is true.  I tried to take advantage of it once by digging a trench 1 space from my border all around the map except for one location.  Caravans always appeared on the other side of the trench, in areas blocked in by trees.  The walking traders got stuck there, the wagons bypassed the site (even thought my trade depot WAS definitely accessible from the edge of the map).  And my migrants always got stuck on the edge too...and the diplomat.  It was incredibly annoying, and I dropped the fortress.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2009, 01:09:58 pm »

If I start with a chasm in my fort and don't have a GCS at first, will one ever spawn eventually? Or does the chasm have to be at the edge of the map to allow a GCS to spawn?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2009, 01:23:43 pm »

/\ Pretty sure the answer is no there, but you might want to wait for someone more experienced with chasms to confirm that; I never even bother looking for them.  /\

I don't think this thing about caravans always appearing where they can path to your depot is true.  I tried to take advantage of it once by digging a trench 1 space from my border all around the map except for one location.  Caravans always appeared on the other side of the trench, in areas blocked in by trees.  The walking traders got stuck there, the wagons bypassed the site (even thought my trade depot WAS definitely accessible from the edge of the map).  And my migrants always got stuck on the edge too...and the diplomat.  It was incredibly annoying, and I dropped the fortress.
I make a trade depot road in nearly every fortress I build and have never had a problem...  but then I've never gone as far as you're talking about, just something like this.  I suspect there was an unsmoothed boulder or something blocking wagon access, which caused everything else--migrants, diplomats, and non-wagon traders may spawn completely at random, given that they will show up even if then entire fort is closed off.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:25:31 pm by nil »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2009, 06:11:45 pm »

I captured a titan by accident. It's got a few injuries, and killed a vaulable military dwarf and a dog.

Should I throw it in the bottomless pit, or the barracks?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2009, 07:08:48 pm »

Here is a small question:

My seed stockpile only has two barrels in it, one of which isn't being used for some reason, while the other has my original seed bag in it, and both are full. Now my plump helmet spawn are covering the floor of that room, and the other barrel is -still- empty.

This is the case even when I have like 17 idlers momentarily.

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2009, 09:12:55 pm »

^ Do you have enough empty bags for the seeds to be stored in?

I followed the digging examples on the wiki for getting a well with flowing water, but I'm getting stagnant water from my current well setup anyway. Could someone please point out what I'm doing wrong?  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2009, 09:34:32 pm »

I don't think any water from a well would be considered stagnant, so they may not be using the well.  Did you place a zone over the well and mark it as a water source?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 181