Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204497 times)

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2009, 09:53:24 pm »

Yep. My dwarfs have been getting water from it for a wounded soldier. Whenever I check the contents of their buckets it says the water is stagnant.  ???

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »

^ Do you have enough empty bags for the seeds to be stored in?

I followed the digging examples on the wiki for getting a well with flowing water, but I'm getting stagnant water from my current well setup anyway. Could someone please point out what I'm doing wrong?  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was the bag thing, as I found out in this other thread I posted: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45688.0

I figured since they were going into the barrel that it was a valid storage space. Little did I realize....

It didn't help that my bag kept getting stored in the furniture section (5 levels down) as opposed to the seed section.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2009, 10:38:38 pm »

I captured a titan by accident. It's got a few injuries, and killed a vaulable military dwarf and a dog.

Should I throw it in the bottomless pit, or the barracks?

The barracks. The pit is a waste, unless you later throw goblins in there to be dismembered by the titan.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2009, 11:20:01 pm »

I captured a titan by accident. It's got a few injuries, and killed a vaulable military dwarf and a dog.

The barracks. The pit is a waste, unless you later throw goblins in there to be dismembered by the titan.

Well, I TRIED the barracks. It escaped, killed the philosopher, and was wrestled to death by a recently-recovered champion.

Okay, what the fuck, count?
Seriously. He likes humans for their stature, and cats for their aloofness. I just caught him raiding the dump pile, and making off with a human-sized leather skirt decorated with cat bone.
What the fuck?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:33:24 am by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2009, 12:34:08 am »

I've got a little question. I was planning on starting a mega-project where I have my fortress built almost entirely from glass suspended in the air over the desert on a pillar. Not like a support pillar, but I was just going to surround a thick staircase column with wall.

I know that water runs off the edge of the map, but with sufficient pump-force, is it possible to suck enough water out of an underground (or above-ground) river to fill the entire map up ten z-levels the the base of the fort?

Otherwise I'm just going to have to make the pillar out of bauxite or something and pump the map full of magma.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45:19 am »

I've got a little question. I was planning on starting a mega-project where I have my fortress built almost entirely from glass suspended in the air over the desert on a pillar. Not like a support pillar, but I was just going to surround a thick staircase column with wall.

I know that water runs off the edge of the map, but with sufficient pump-force, is it possible to suck enough water out of an underground (or above-ground) river to fill the entire map up ten z-levels the the base of the fort?

Otherwise I'm just going to have to make the pillar out of bauxite or something and pump the map full of magma.

LOL!  Awe inspiring...

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2009, 01:01:30 am »

Short answer: Nope.
Long answer: A river just doesn't have the output, but theoretically with an aquifer you would be able to pump up as much water as you want.  It would take an ungodly number of pumps to do what you're talking about, though, and would bring your FPS to around 1-2 no matter what.  You're way better off using magma, building a huge wall to hold the water in, scaling it down to a smaller temporary flood the world kind of thing, or building in an ocean/lake.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2009, 02:09:01 am »

Is there any way to see a personal kill list for my dwarves?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2009, 02:40:34 am »

(v), move cursor over dwarf, (p), (z), (k).  If there isn't something saying "K: View kills" at the bottom of their personal owned objects and holdings menu (the above 'z') it means they've never killed anything.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2009, 09:54:36 am »

Do rocks drain FPS if they are quantum-stored in one tile?

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2009, 10:20:30 am »

Can i build large rooms with grates/bars as floors when i place a support under every grate/bar that is not on the edge?

Code: [Select]
(sideview)

|        |
|########|
~~IIIIII~~

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2009, 12:16:09 pm »

Well, I TRIED the barracks. It escaped, killed the philosopher, and was wrestled to death by a recently-recovered champion.

Okay, what the fuck, count?
Seriously. He likes humans for their stature, and cats for their aloofness. I just caught him raiding the dump pile, and making off with a human-sized leather skirt decorated with cat bone.
What the fuck?
If your noble has some bizarre fetishes, that's between him and the dwarven tabloids.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45:59 pm »

Do rocks drain FPS if they are quantum-stored in one tile?
Pretty much, although obviously that makes it easier to atom-smash them (even if you haven't already built one, you could build one below it and channel out the floor to drop the rock into place.
Can i build large rooms with grates/bars as floors when i place a support under every grate/bar that is not on the edge?

Code: [Select]
(sideview)

|        |
|########|
~~IIIIII~~
If I had to guess, I'd say it would but that you'll find it very difficult to get the game to allow you to build past the edges (maybe something with temporary constructed floor scafolding will be necessary).  You should try it and report back, for science.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2009, 01:14:17 pm »

does the magma in a glowing pit refill if it has a connection to the bottom? So that it acts like a magma pipe?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2009, 01:30:51 pm »

does the magma in a glowing pit refill if it has a connection to the bottom? So that it acts like a magma pipe?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 181