Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204621 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #300 on: December 10, 2009, 06:44:18 pm »

There is no antidote really, the only cure is to remove the [EXTRACT_PERMANENT] tag. I removed that tag myself since its pretty annoying.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2009, 07:17:50 pm »

It's not annoying enough to go leafing through the raws, currently.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2009, 11:55:00 pm »

Dwarven cure: cull the dwarf.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 11, 2009, 05:56:07 am »

What happens if you tame a fire snake?
Will it actually destroy items if a dwarf takes it for a pet?

Also, what happens if I drop enemies onto activated spear traps? Will they take damage, or does that only apply to when they are "triggered"?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:32:02 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #304 on: December 11, 2009, 09:09:24 am »

Strangely, upright spears don't increase the damage taken by a creature falling on them.  They only do damage when they extend.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2009, 08:25:30 pm »

How do I look up the legends of a region while I have a fortress active?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 12, 2009, 09:39:36 pm »

How do I look up the legends of a region while I have a fortress active?
There isn't really a way to do that, but you can copy your save file (in data/save), then abandon your fortress in the copy and go into legends mode normally.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 12, 2009, 10:00:47 pm »

Am I insane for spending the entire day planning, designing, and constructing an emergency meeting area for dwarves, with a waterfall, fancy expensive furniture, and views of the bottomless pit and the death-chute therein?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 13, 2009, 12:08:31 am »

Not of you include magma.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2009, 01:13:14 am »

I haven't YET, but it's tempting.
I'm holding off because it'll melt all the grates.

Right now, I'm just happy it works as I wanted it to, and doesen't fill up like a bowl.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 13, 2009, 01:52:06 am »

How can I design an animal pen that doesn't let all the creatures therein scatter whenever a dwarf enters to take one out to slaughter? I've almost exclusively farmed for my food up to now and am new to fencing in animals. I've read http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Meat_industry and understand how you could use pits to drop animals into an enclosed space to save room/FPS, but it doesn't address the problem of the animals being freed once a dwarf opens the door to take one out.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 13, 2009, 02:08:09 am »

How can I design an animal pen that doesn't let all the creatures therein scatter whenever a dwarf enters to take one out to slaughter? I've almost exclusively farmed for my food up to now and am new to fencing in animals. I've read http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Meat_industry and understand how you could use pits to drop animals into an enclosed space to save room/FPS, but it doesn't address the problem of the animals being freed once a dwarf opens the door to take one out.
The best solution to livestock FPS issues is with a 3-level system.

The top level is just open space, designated as a pit, so you can drop creatures in.

The second level down has no floors, but instead has 3-4 retracting bridges covering what is otherwise open space. All doors into this chamber are forbidden (not pet-impassible, but actually forbidden) or sealed with constructed walls. Essentially, the only way in is to get tossed in from above, and the only way out is to get dropped when one of the bridges retract.

The bottom level of this setup has a butcher's shop, all doors leading into it are pet-impassible, and a number of levers, each of which is linked to exactly one of the bridges above.

Essentially, you drop animals into the pit/pen, they cannot path anywhere so they don't and don't eat much FPS, and then you periodically drop 1/3 or 1/4 of the herd for slaughter, depending on whether you have 3 or 4 bridges as the holding pen's floor. Basically, you solve the problem of animals getting out when a dwarf comes in to get them by never having a dwarf come in and get them.

You can even do a similar alternative setup for untamed animals, where instead of it being a 3-level setup with the pen 1 level above the butcher's shop you have the pen 8 or 9 levels above the butcher so the animals fall to their deaths when the bridges retract.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 13, 2009, 02:14:49 am »

You can even do a similar alternative setup for untamed animals, where instead of it being a 3-level setup with the pen 1 level above the butcher's shop you have the pen 8 or 9 levels above the butcher so the animals fall to their deaths when the bridges retract.

*snerk*

Definitely the dwarfy solution. Hrm... do falling objects injure dwarves? i.e. the butchers patiently waiting below?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 13, 2009, 02:17:41 am »

*snerk*

Definitely the dwarfy solution. Hrm... do falling objects injure dwarves? i.e. the butchers patiently waiting below?
Well, no. In fact, if a creature falls onto another creature, neither is harmed. So in that case having the butcher wait below is probably a bad idea, as the dwarf will turn into a cushion for the falling creatures, the falling creatures won't die, and then the dwarf will get interrupted due to being too close to a wild animal.

In that case it's actually better to have the "landing zone" be a refuse stockpile so the corpses don't have to get hauled to one so the butcher's shop will autoquene a butcher job immediately.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 13, 2009, 03:09:08 am »

Quick question: will a tile just below an aquifer be marked as damp, or is it a flood waiting to happen if I blindly mine upwards when below one?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 181