Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203999 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2009, 03:12:46 am »

It will be marked as damp.

For tiles beneath the aquifer, I think as long as you don't dig out the damp tiles, there won't be any flooding. But it's still a hazard regardless. Best suggestion I have is to mark the aquifer layer and the layer below it as no dig zones. And the layer below that as no ramp zones.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2009, 03:23:42 am »

It will be marked as damp.

For tiles beneath the aquifer, I think as long as you don't dig out the damp tiles, there won't be any flooding. But it's still a hazard regardless. Best suggestion I have is to mark the aquifer layer and the layer below it as no dig zones. And the layer below that as no ramp zones.
Ahh, thanks. :) I'll probably use the level two levels below the aquifer for a mine then.

Silent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2009, 05:11:47 am »

I have about 50 cats locked up in a 1-tile room. If i let them out, half of them will have owners before i get a chance to slaughter them. If i change the tile above them to a pond and my dwarves fill it to 6/7 water, will they all drown?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 13, 2009, 05:16:58 am »

If they haven't adopted someone already, they probably won't long enough for you to cage them.

I think that only three cats can adopt a single owner, though, and they only adopt people that like cats.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 13, 2009, 05:25:41 am »

Of course they will drown, unless they're caged or you have some very strange mods. I don't know how well cats can swim, but to be sure, you should fill it 7/7 and put a floor above. I've seen stuff surviving for months in 6/7 with no ceiling.
Or use magma. Or carve a fortification in one side and fire a ballista through it. Or use your kitten-pit of doomtm to dump poor, helpless goblins. So many possibilities... :)

As for the aquifer: Digging out the layer right below will make it flood. And because of water pressure, anything to the aquifer level will fill up. Fun.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 13, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »

So I got attacked by my first Titan. No biggie. Called my dwarves inside and waited for him to hit the cage traps. Bastard mauled my grizzly bear my cougar, and a bunch of wolves first, though.

Anyways, I now have a Titan in a cage and I'm not sure how to dispose of him. I lack magma, so that easy answer is gone. I set the cage up in a flooding chamber, but that's had no luck--somehow, the bastard is fine. Do I need to deconstruct the cage for him to start drowning? I'd rather not do that unless it's a sure thing. Don't know what sort of damage he could do before I could get him back into a cage, after all.

e: She, not he. I have a gigantic woman in a cage. That's someone's fetish, but unfortunately not mine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:36:03 pm by Haus Party »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #321 on: December 13, 2009, 02:36:01 pm »

So I got attacked by my first Titan. No biggie. Called my dwarves inside and waited for him to hit the cage traps. Bastard mauled my grizzly bear my cougar, and a bunch of wolves first, though.

Anyways, I now have a Titan in a cage and I'm not sure how to dispose of him. I lack magma, so that easy answer is gone. I set the cage up in a flooding chamber, but that's had no luck--somehow, the bastard is fine. Do I need to deconstruct the cage for him to start drowning? I'd rather not do that unless it's a sure thing. Don't know what sort of damage he could do before I could get him back into a cage, after all.
Hook the cage up to a lever. Fill the room, then pull the lever. Obviously, don't put the lever in the same room.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 13, 2009, 02:36:36 pm »

Thought so. Dammit, now I need to drain the room.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 13, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »

Can you add additional parameters to the name generator for group/fortress?
Instead of "Hammerflickers", can I make it randomly generate "of's" and "the's"?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:17 pm »

Can you add additional parameters to the name generator for group/fortress?
Instead of "Hammerflickers", can I make it randomly generate "of's" and "the's"?
Not only can you do that, but you can pick your own name.  Hit (F) when you're in the "prepare for the journey carefully" screen.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2009, 12:44:00 am »

1) What is the point, if any, of having a Tomb room assigned to no dwarf?
2) Can I assign tombs to already-dead dwarves?

Non-dwarf-specific dining rooms and bedrooms, say, have obvious uses, but I'm curious about tombs. Previously I'd just used a single huge room with many, many coffins marked for 'b'urial, but I'd like something more ornate this time.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 14, 2009, 12:49:40 am »

1. There is none. If it's unassigned, it won't get used.
2. No.

But dead dwarves don't care about the value of their tombs, so just build a monument or something.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 14, 2009, 01:01:59 am »

Open-ended question: how does a dwarf's death affect ownership of items owned by that dwarf? (I can't find a wiki page on Ownership or similar.)

Part of my wanting to set up tombs for dwarves was to include a chest/cabinet so that, I thought, the dwarf's clothes would be tidied up instead of lying around and/or going back into a Finished Goods stockpile. My interest isn't limited to clothes, though, I'm also curious how it affects, say, owned items in the now-dead-dwarf's chests/cabinets.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 14, 2009, 01:04:02 am »

If a dwarf is assigned a tomb, all his possessions will go in there when he dies, if all of them can fit. He will still own them.

If a dwarf dies and is not assigned a tomb, his belongings goes to his next of kin. If he has none, they belong to the fortress.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2009, 01:09:36 am »

I want to embark over an underground road, preferably dwarven.  But I can't seem to find any (I changed the init settings so I should be able to see them...I can see HFS, ect, so the other changes worked).  The entity files say dwarves can build them too.  Any suggestions?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 181