Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204639 times)

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2009, 09:07:20 pm »

So... just started DF, totally awesome!

I'm following that great "Total Newbie" tutorial, though not with the saved game that came with it. I started out on my own, that is to say. My problem now is that my craftsdwarfs workshop will not build. My dwarfs, with the exception of the farmer dwarf, are just sitting around, and that craftsdwarfs workshop will not build. Is that because I don't have a boneworker dwarf? Because I don't have any bone?

I took this build: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Savok%27s_first_fortress_playthrough

Thanks so much!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »

Go to one of your dwarves and enable a crafting job for them (either stonecrafting, woodcrafting or bonecarving; I recommend the latter). That will make them build your crafts workshop and also work there when you order something to be made out of the proper material.

Don't worry about the skills you've allocated before embarking. They'll learn as they go, and they don't need any skills to build workshops either (just the appropriate jobs enabled).

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2009, 09:20:35 pm »

I presume you have stone, and it requires no special jobs. Therefore, I would guess that your dwarves are lazy bums who are doing some other thing (ex. your woodcutter would be cutting wood) or snacking or sleeping or taking yet another break. You can solve this by taking a dwarf and disabling everything on him except maybe masonry. Having nothing else to do, he'll go build it.
Some other problems might be that it's unreachable because of something or another. To check if the building's been suspended, use (q) and hover over it. If it says it's suspended, something's wrong - unsuspend it. Wait until an announcement comes up that says it's been suspended again, and press (a) and read it. Then fix whatever it says (for example, "Construction suspended: unreachable tile).

I have a question of my own; I've build a drawbridge and a moat under it (it's really a pit filled with water from a murky pool). I dropped some migrants in it, but they refuse to die even after months of drowning on end. It's like 5/7 depth, that should kill them, right? How can I kill them more efficiently? I don't have any rivers or magma pits...  :(

EDIT: The wiki says you don't need any special jobs for a craftsdwarf's workshop, but assimilateur is probably right on this. Do what he said. Maybe activate masonry like I said above, too, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:22:17 pm by Cheddarius »

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »

Thanks! I'm so glad I didn't have to start over! Thanks again. =]

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:59 pm »

I presume you have stone, and it requires no special jobs.

I'm pretty sure all buildings require some type of job, so I guess this depends on what you mean by "special". If I recall correctly, most, if not all, workshops require one of the jobs that's eventually going to be used in them to be built. I.e. a mason's workshop needs masonry, carpenter need carpentry, butcher needs butchery, and so on.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2009, 09:33:19 pm »

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification!

In other news, one of my migrants was not successfully drowned, but he eventually died of thirst.

WHILE DROWNING.

What's going on?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »

In other news, one of my migrants was not successfully drowned, but he eventually died of thirst.

WHILE DROWNING.

What's going on?

I have no idea what's going on, but that is one more reason for me to love this game.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 15, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »

*glub glub * WATER!!! NEED WATER!!! *glub glub*

Urist mc dwarf has died from thirst.

Mebzuth: How in hell did THAT happen?
Asmel: I think its best we dont ask...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

vechora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 15, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »

Got a few questions I ran into in my previous (5) forts

-fire imps, how can I channel/wall them in fast enough for them to not fry my dwarves to a well done crisp (and the surrounding shrubland)?

-aquifers. tried caveins, after litterally 1 stairway dig the aquifer fills up again and im back to square one with no natural wall to collapse into it. 2layer aquifers.. I don't even embark there anymore its hell.

-50+ dwarfmanagement. How do you manage these buggers? have to many of the partying and they also seem to dislike sleeping in bedrooms when I do not assign every single dwarf their own room *sleeping on the job, in tunnels etc, while there are far more then 50 beds available*

-how long should I leave a military squad on duty? leaving them on duty permanently  supposedly creats meny bad toughts so whats the standard for rotating them *got guardposts near the workshops for moody dwarfs gone bad and near the entrance to stop the thieves from robbing the well crafted glass blocks

well i think thats enough
Feel so incredibly noobish, posting questions all the time :$

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 15, 2009, 10:31:27 pm »

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification!

WHILE DROWNING.

What's going on?
See, the problem is that you tried to drown him in water. Dwarves consider drinking a higher priority than breathing if you use booze.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:38 pm »

Got a few questions I ran into in my previous (5) forts

-fire imps, how can I channel/wall them in fast enough for them to not fry my dwarves to a well done crisp (and the surrounding shrubland)?
Generally, I find that it isn't worth the bother. If your fort's entrance is close to the edge of the magma pipe, recruit and station a dwarf or two 2-3 tiles away from the edge of the pipe, have them set to harass wild animals, and wait.

Fire imps are size 3, the size of a cat, and thus are extremely weak and fragile. If you can get a dwarf into melee with them before getting fireballed, they go down easily, even with unskilled, unarmed, unarmored recruits. Since imps must be on the same z-level as their target to fireball them, and they're likely to come up near to your dwarves rather than on another side of the pipe, and your dwarves are such a short distance away, they get reliably taken down.

If you insist on channeling out around the pipe, wait until you have a legendary miner or two, then designate a circle of ramps (not channels!) on the z-level below the surface with one extra that is only accessible from the outside, wait for all of it to be dug out, then remove the ramps in the ring proper while the one extra works to let your dwarves out again. Because, as was mentioned, imps need to be on the same z-level as their target to fireball them, and your miners will work from the level below while carving ramps, you won't actually have much/any risk of getting fireballed and if an imp comes into the "moat" while it's still being done you can just recruit your legendary miner and have them slaughter the beast.

-aquifers. tried caveins, after litterally 1 stairway dig the aquifer fills up again and im back to square one with no natural wall to collapse into it. 2layer aquifers.. I don't even embark there anymore its hell.
Aquifers are difficult to get through, and until you understand how to use pumps and why the cavein method works you probably are wise not to bother with them anymore. Myself, I know how to get through them, but don't bother since they're just generally not worth the trouble.

-50+ dwarfmanagement. How do you manage these buggers? have to many of the partying and they also seem to dislike sleeping in bedrooms when I do not assign every single dwarf their own room *sleeping on the job, in tunnels etc, while there are far more then 50 beds available*
Managing many dwarves largely means using the job manager (j-m) to make sure there is always jobs in each category (carpentry, metalworking, and masonry are the major ones) as well as having several types of jobs auto-repeating if that's useful, like food jobs or stonecrafting.

For bedroom problems... Are they able to reach the bedrooms? Are the beds actually placed as furniture? Are the beds, once placed as furniture, designated as bedrooms (you don't have to specifically assign them for them to be used once they're designated)? Do your dwarves have the Hunting labor, which prevents them from sleeping in beds for some strange reason, active?

-how long should I leave a military squad on duty? leaving them on duty permanently  supposedly creats meny bad toughts so whats the standard for rotating them *got guardposts near the workshops for moody dwarfs gone bad and near the entrance to stop the thieves from robbing the well crafted glass blocks
Generally, you should be using animals, not dwarves, as sentries at your entrance(s). Make ropes or chains, set them as restraints (b-v), and assign animals to them once built.

Otherwise, you're probably best off just putting your soldiers on duty as needed at this point. Don't bother with workshop guards unless there's actually a moody dwarf that you can't supply with all the desired materials around, don't bother with patrols if you have guard dogs, and otherwise keep them off duty as much as possible. Their survivability will go way up with more sparring, after all, and you want them to survive.

well i think thats enough
Feel so incredibly noobish, posting questions all the time :$
This game is notorious for an absurdly steep learning curve, so don't worry about wondering about many of these things.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 15, 2009, 11:11:04 pm »

Er, sorry if I'm being bothersome, but I think my questions were skipped... they're a few posts back. Basically:

1. I don't have any rivers or magma pits. How can I use my bridge to kill people (read: friggin' migrants) more easily? (Crushing is difficult - it's so small that I only have one tile long crush-space, so it's hard to lure people in)

2. Why did my migrant die of thirst while drowning in 4/7 to 5/7 water?

Also, I have another question:
3. How can I make a decent waterfall without access to rivers? (I do have murky pools though)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 15, 2009, 11:27:07 pm »

Er, sorry if I'm being bothersome, but I think my questions were skipped... they're a few posts back. Basically:

1. I don't have any rivers or magma pits. How can I use my bridge to kill people (read: friggin' migrants) more easily? (Crushing is difficult - it's so small that I only have one tile long crush-space, so it's hard to lure people in)
3 ways:
First way: Dig a deep pit, 5+ z-levels deep, build a retracting bridge over the top of it, recruit your migrants, station them in 1-man squads on top of the bridge, then pull the lever to retract the bridge, causing them to fall to their death.

Second way: You shouldn't have difficulty "luring people in" since you can just recruit and station them on the kill-zone-line. 1-man squads should make them stand exactly where you stationed them, so I'm not sure what difficulty you're having. That may not be helpful, but I don't know what else to tell you.

Third way: Have the bridge seal the only entrance into a room that has no food or drink in it, make the unwanted dwarves go into that room, seal it, and let them starve.
2. Why did my migrant die of thirst while drowning in 4/7 to 5/7 water?
Obviously, he couldn't get anything to drink.  ::)

Seriously, though, from what I can tell dwarves can only get water from the z-level below them, so your dehydrated drowner couldn't reach any water he could drink. Further, whenever he tried to drink something he was probably getting interrupted due to dangerous terrain (4+ water), even if he was actually trying to drink that exact same water.

Also, I have another question:
3. How can I make a decent waterfall without access to rivers? (I do have murky pools though)
Build a powered pump array such that all the water is recycled. This can be a bit tricky, but essentially you want exactly 1 7/7 depth water tile and no more water. That tile of water, all of that water, is picked up by a pump, spit to the intake of another pump leading the other direction, where it falls back down into the original space, making a waterfall as it falls.

Like this:

z-level +1
WWWWWW
W.%>.W
WWWWWW

z-level +0 (level where the actual mist is desired)
WWWWWW
W+<%.+
WWW+++

z-level -1
WWWWWW
WWWW7W
WWWWWW

Where Ws are walls, .s are open space or grates, %>s are pumps with the arrow pointing to the output tile, +s are floors, and the 7 is the water.

Basically you just want to make a system where the only place for the water to go is straight down or pumped into the input of another pump so you don't get any wastage; rivers just make waterfalls easier since you don't have to recycle water or to a certain extent deal with pumping it anywhere.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »

Crushing is easy...

Make it a larger bridge.
... dont tell me you didnt know you could increase the sized?
press u, k m and h while in the screen for building the bridge...

And make it retractible what ever direction.

Recruit the migs you want to kill and stantion them under the atom crusher.
Activate atom crusher and kill them.

2. Cos dorfs are idiots, also if you want to save them make stairs to get them out.

Oooh, you need lotsa screw pumps for this...
Murky pools dont really provide much water and have to be moved effectively or you lose water.
I suggest you make the two pumps, one on top of each other so you have a "waterfall" effect.

Code: [Select]
Like... -z1

..hS>h....
Code: [Select]
-Z2

..-<S-....
. is wall or w/e.

< is the direction the screw pump is pumping to (also part of the screwpump)
S is another part of the screwpump.
- is a dug out tile.
h is a channeled tile.

If you get water in there you can have two blocks of water that float in mid air, making mist ( which is what dorfs really get that good feeling off of).
Also you should use mechanical thigns so you dont have to always have peasants or pump operators on them...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

vechora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »

@ NecroRebel

Thanks for the Imp advice, will help my magmapipe adventures a great deal.

the beds are designated as bedrooms and reachable, its just that sometimes dwarves just sleep somewere else when there are free, usable bedrooms available (only not assigned to a person)

guard dogs, (wardogs) just don't seem to like wanting to bite kobolds to death or goblins for that matter, so I had to resort to military guards.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 181