Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204000 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #405 on: December 16, 2009, 12:50:44 pm »

(v)iew units and hover over the miner. Go to his inventory and forbid the backpack and waterskin that he's carrying - he'll drop it. I don't know what the problem is, though.

I have my champion wielding a crossbow and off duty, and my barracks has plenty of archery targets and ammunition. I've also designated the room as an archery practice thing. But he's not practicing - what could be causing this?

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 16, 2009, 02:13:46 pm »

I have my champion wielding a crossbow and off duty, and my barracks has plenty of archery targets and ammunition. I've also designated the room as an archery practice thing. But he's not practicing - what could be causing this?
  • Make sure the ammunition isn't all metal - they'll only use wood or bone bolts for practice.
  • See if he's holding anything in his hands besides the crossbow. If he is, dump it.
  • Check that the archery range is set up for firing in the correct direction.
It's usually one of those three things that's the problem.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 16, 2009, 02:24:14 pm »

1) - apart from smoothing and carving enravings/fortifications, is there anything you can do with map border tiles?

2) - If you cover the edge of the map with a series of drawbridges which are then raised, what will happen to the incoming creatures/invaders/merchants?

3) - if you leave only a couple squares on the edge unblocked, will the people that try to spawn on the blocked squares not spawn or be funneled into these areas?

4) - If I were to have a fortress that has an entirely military population, would there be any problems with assigning a military person as a broker (to trade for food/booze)? how would I be able to activate mechanisms with my dwarves (since they cannot pull levers anymore)?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 16, 2009, 02:28:11 pm »

I just checked, and it was the ammo thing. Thanks!

4 - I think soldiers don't do anything except soldiering. I assigned a soldier to be broker and he didn't show up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2009, 02:34:51 pm »

1) - apart from smoothing and carving enravings/fortifications, is there anything you can do with map border tiles?
Not that I've been able to determine.  You can't dig or channel them, but you can smooth, engrave, or make them into fortifications.
2) - If you cover the edge of the map with a series of drawbridges which are then raised, what will happen to the incoming creatures/invaders/merchants?
If there are no accessible tiles at the edge of the map, creatures, invaders, merchants, and immigrants simply won't ever appear.
3) - if you leave only a couple squares on the edge unblocked, will the people that try to spawn on the blocked squares not spawn or be funneled into these areas?
Yes, if there are only a few tiles accessible everything will spawn in them.  Often at the same time, with hilarious results.
4) - If I were to have a fortress that has an entirely military population, would there be any problems with assigning a military person as a broker (to trade for food/booze)? how would I be able to activate mechanisms with my dwarves (since they cannot pull levers anymore)?
I don't know, I've never tried a fortress with a 100% military population.  Would be interesting, at least until everyone starved to death.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 16, 2009, 02:49:07 pm »

You could mod it like the elves so that you can eat your enemies, and then have a mod that sends tons and tons of enemies at you?

EDIT: Also. I keep getting hit by two or three goblin ambushes at once. I've had to savescum repeatedly, order all my dwarves inside, etc. Fortunately, my champion wrestler/axedwarf/marksdwarf can fend them off easily, but now I can't finish construction on my outside corridor of death for fear I'll get ambushed and lose a dwarf. How do I deal with this?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:03:14 pm by Cheddarius »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 16, 2009, 03:12:14 pm »

You could mod it like the elves so that you can eat your enemies, and then have a mod that sends tons and tons of enemies at you?

EDIT: Also. I keep getting hit by two or three goblin ambushes at once. I've had to savescum repeatedly, order all my dwarves inside, etc. Fortunately, my champion wrestler/axedwarf/marksdwarf can fend them off easily, but now I can't finish construction on my outside corridor of death for fear I'll get ambushed and lose a dwarf. How do I deal with this?

You can conscript the generic expendable haulers and give them masonry to make them work on the wall, while turning it off on your real masons.

Also, usually two or three is the limit for a season; by late [Season] there should be no more hidden enemies if you haven't already found them.

I recommend leaving the door open (though somehow disallowing civilians from going out) and having your military intercept all potential ambushes while waiting for late [Season], at which point you send out the expendables, backed up by military.

---

Also, I don't know if ethics modding actually works when it comes to eating practices. I've heard standard dwarven ethics have a degree of hardcodedness to them, but I'm not sure which parts they apply to.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 16, 2009, 03:31:39 pm »

Ah, all right. Thanks!

Er, my dwarves seem to be acting up lately - I never got dumping to work, but now they're sitting idle when they have hauling to do! I have specific haulers with it enabled, and statues and such waiting to be built, but they don't do anything... how could this happen?

EDIT: Also, I was sending some elven merchants down my pit of doom when they started fleeing! Some of them got away! Are the elves going to attack me?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:44:14 pm by Cheddarius »

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 16, 2009, 03:36:56 pm »

Easiest way would probably be to turn invasions off in the init until you're ready for them.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

sono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 16, 2009, 03:57:36 pm »

zomg that toast totally shows an interference pattern
sell on ebay
quix

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 16, 2009, 05:52:41 pm »

More military. Ambushes come in more than one squad.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2009, 06:28:22 pm »

is there anything you can do during world generation to affect the propensity of hidden fun stuff?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2009, 07:20:04 pm »

More military. Ambushes come in more than one squad.

Eeergh. I recruited four marksdwarves, had them training up in the archery range, and a massive goblin ambush killed off three and left the last one crippled and probably dying. I have a long corridor extended outside - I was planning to build drawbridges over it to smash any intruders. I'm now planning to build a roof over it and use it as a Great Wall-type thing so my marksdwarves can walk on it and kill intruders, but I have a few problems:
1. How do I even do this? How high should I make it and such, and how do I build a floor over two walls?
2. If I have this Great Wall and corridor of death protecting everyone inside, how do I protect people outside gathering clothes or whatnot?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16:24 pm »

What happens if you give the [ENDING] tag to two different creatures?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the game just picks one when you reach the HFS, just as it does with normal HFS denizens.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 181