Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204487 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #465 on: December 19, 2009, 04:04:20 pm »

It doesn't seem to really make a difference for me when I do have stray animals milling about. My FPS is pretty low anyway, in the single digits, so I wouldn't be the one to test it.

But that wasn't the point of my remark.

The improved pet pathfinding algorithm is not in any of the d# versions. It was put in the game some time before that, although I couldn't tell you which version it was included in off hand.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 19, 2009, 04:07:34 pm »

Well, I knew it was one of the latest versions, but I'm not sure whether it was the dX ones or vX ones.
But animals do still create lag by forcing dwarves to change their pathing. Cage the fuckers anyway.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 19, 2009, 04:14:50 pm »

I'm having a terrible time finding a good place to start. I'm trying on of those pregen maps. In this picture, the top picture is the actual game, the bottom picture is the picture that shows me where to go. Why the discrepancy?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1920393/Screenshot-2.png

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 19, 2009, 04:28:36 pm »

I'm having a terrible time finding a good place to start. I'm trying on of those pregen maps. In this picture, the top picture is the actual game, the bottom picture is the picture that shows me where to go. Why the discrepancy?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1920393/Screenshot-2.png

The pregenerated world must have been originally built under a different game version, or without the mods that you are using. Mods or version differences will often change the world gen.
Never pet a burning dog.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 19, 2009, 04:36:02 pm »

Hey, so I generated a pretty fun embark site, but I didn't save the world gen preferences. Is there a way I can still retrieve the seed?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 19, 2009, 04:42:30 pm »

If you still have the region folder, you can:

1. Go to Legends mode and export the world gen info if you don't have a fort running.
2. Hit escape, and export an image if you do have a fort running.

Both will export a world generation information text file to the main DF folder.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 19, 2009, 04:46:41 pm »

Cage the fuckers anyway.

That's out of the question for me. Releasing them to be impregnated after each birth is too much micromanagement. Right now I keep them in my meeting hall, but am going to make a couple dozen ropes for them. That way I've got more realism (compared to quantum-caging anyway, and I can sort of make believe that the ropes are actually long enough for my males to reach my females and/or that someone with the animal caretaker labor... takes care of them, instead of letting them breed via spores), more work for my tailor, and possibly better performance. Win fucking win.

1. Go to Legends mode and export the world gen info if you don't have a fort running.

Both will export a world generation information text file to the main DF folder.

Oh man, all the time I was thinking "export image" did literally just that, instead of doing something useful like exporting world gen data.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:50:48 pm by assimilateur »

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 19, 2009, 04:50:15 pm »

Ah wonderful, thanks!

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 21, 2009, 10:11:36 pm »

Sorry to double-post, but I guess no one else has had any little questions for a few days. :P

I'd like to try to rely minimally on farming by making food production based on animals. In this there are a few problems, though.

Firstly, having huge herds of stray watevers bogs the FPS down immensely. If I want to do this, I'll need to pit them somewhere that prevents pathing. I know animals will still try to path through forbidden doors, but will they path through closed flood gates? I hear that closed bridges will break pathing, but that being near a meeting area can mean that they'll still try and path there regardless?

Secondly is pet issues. If I keep the livestock locked in a remote part of the fortress, will I still have to worry about dwarves other than the butcher adopting them? Or do they just sense that the animal is there and claim it like with spore breeding?

Lastly is if there are pets, can they be pitted like other animals? And if they can, what would be the simplest killing machine for them? I was thinking installing an upright spike in a one-tile sized animal containment chamber and pulling the lever until the screaming stops. Will upright spikes get stuck in cows? Drowning chambers seem overly complicated for this and drop pads require the dwarves to walk down ten Z levels to retrieve the meat (or up ten levels to drop them). Any other fun slaughter ideas?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 21, 2009, 10:42:17 pm »

Spikes get stuck too often to be a useful deathtrap.  I'd recommend a 2x1 repeating raising bridge at the bottom of a pit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 21, 2009, 10:51:39 pm »

Spikes get stuck too often to be a useful deathtrap.  I'd recommend a 2x1 repeating raising bridge at the bottom of a pit.

Not unless he wants to retrieve the bones and meat.

Really though, I've never had an issue with repeating spikes that were operated by a lever since they massacre goblins just fine. I don't think spikes do get stuck.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 21, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »

is there an easier way of designating a workshop to only use specific materials (e.g. a series of obsidian goblets) besides tweaking the economic stone list or forbidding every stone Urist McStubborn gets his dwarfy hands on?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 21, 2009, 11:48:08 pm »

yea.
close the workshop in with a stockpile of the stone you want to be made out of,.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2009, 02:09:20 am »

I assume from what you're saying is that a given mason will prefer a stockpile filled with economic stone to a hunk of granite just sitting around?

also, is there a way to review a trade agreement after the liaison has left so a scatterbrain can remember exactly *what* he needs to make to benefit himself the most? ::)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 02:11:58 am by Odd!x »
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2009, 02:17:04 am »

also, is there a way to review a trade agreement after the liaison has left so a scatterbrain can remember exactly *what* he needs to make to benefit himself the most? ::)

Sadly, no. I used to take screenshots of the trade agreements before I stopped caring about them :P

I'm still curious as to whether dwarves will adopt pets regardless of proximity, i.e. a dwarf adopting a donkey locked in a room in the deep forbidden depths of the fort.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 181