Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204552 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #540 on: December 30, 2009, 07:58:12 pm »

it won´t work, for kobolds and snatchers the animal or dwarf has to physically touch the thief, sight doesn´t work
I have had chained war dogs repeatedly detect kobold thieves on the other side of a fortification.  I don't know if detection from a few tiles away is as reliable as direct contact, but I do know that direct contact isn't required.  I don't know if it works if the dog is on another Z-level, which was the question here.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:58 pm »

I'm trying to make silver doors, yet the metalsmith (or whoever works there) says he needs silver bars, even though I have three of them. Do I need more? If so, how do I know how many I need per item?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 30, 2009, 09:21:31 pm »

It should only take three bars.  Make sure none of them are forbidden, none are tasked for other purposes (such as being hauled to a stockpile), and that the metalsmith can physically path to them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:52 pm »

none are tasked for other purposes (such as being hauled to a stockpile)

That's probably the reason, I have that problem all the time when working with small amount of things or bars that were just recently smelted.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 30, 2009, 09:38:48 pm »

problem solved! thanks! yeah it was the hauling that caused the problem

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 30, 2009, 09:42:33 pm »

How do you twist a spear stuck in a wound?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 30, 2009, 10:05:30 pm »

How do you twist a spear stuck in a wound?

Once a weapon penetrates a creature continuing to attack it will cause you to twist the weapon. Indefinitely. Moving away from the creature will allow you to attempt to pull it out of them, though there's a chance it'll get stuck.

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:32 pm »

What button uses stairs? "u" won't work.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 30, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »

the same as fort mode > and <
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 31, 2009, 03:29:49 am »

I just had a little problem. My dwarves just got ambushed by kobolds, and they walked right into my 3x3 tile of traps and set none of them off. Why is this?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 31, 2009, 03:33:37 am »

I just had a little problem. My dwarves just got ambushed by kobolds, and they walked right into my 3x3 tile of traps and set none of them off. Why is this?

That's because kobolds are able to avoid traps. That's due to their [trAPAVOID] tag, which can be also added to any animal you choose.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 31, 2009, 03:45:34 am »

Ah, I thought that only applied to thieves and not soldier kobolds. Thanks. Also, is there any way to speed up the flow of magma by modding the files? It's taking an ungodly long time to get it where I want.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:06 am »

Also, is there any way to speed up the flow of magma by modding the files? It's taking an ungodly long time to get it where I want.
Pumps.  Magma doesn't respect pressure, but using a pump or chain of pumps to transfer magma from the pipe to where you want it is much faster than letting it flow on its own.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 31, 2009, 04:13:28 pm »

Uh oh. Goblins just slaughtered the dwarven caravan. Are they now at war with my dwarves? Will they still trade next year?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:52 pm »

Uh oh. Goblins just slaughtered the dwarven caravan. Are they now at war with my dwarves? Will they still trade next year?

As far as I know they will still trade with you. Humans and elves do, in similar circumstances, so I don't see why dwarves wouldn't. If the goblins did wipe out your liaison, however, that might be a problem, as you won't be able to order stuff from the Mountainhome.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 181