Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204504 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #585 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:32 pm »

A single cage can hold an infinite number of animals, so not being able to build cages fast enough shouldn't be a problem.

As for the wall - is the job suspended?  Did you try un-suspending it?  What message do you get when the job is suspended?  Is there an object in the way?  Alternately, if the job isn't suspended, can your dwarves reach a spot adjacent to the wall?  Dwarves can walk though diagonals but they can't build through them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 04, 2010, 12:07:21 pm »

Often times when building many walls/floors/etc at once, an object will be cleared from the building site for one of them and moved onto another site, causing the cancellation. Just wait for the adjacent walls to finish before unsuspending the construction.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 04, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »

Does anybody know what age the inital seven dwarves start at?

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 04, 2010, 01:25:11 pm »

Above Ground Farming:

I have longland grass seeds, but my aboveground fields have no option to plant them.  At first I thought it might be a list too big to show on the screen but it just doesn't show up at all no matter how much scrolling I do...

How does one grow this and whip vines?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 04, 2010, 01:33:54 pm »

For this version, no, but in the next version we will be seeing the ages of our dwarves.

While Toady did show us some of the new dwarven profile stuff and they all ranged from the 50s to 80s, dwarven middle age I think, we don't know if that is the norm for embark teams or not.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 04, 2010, 02:21:43 pm »

For this version, no, but in the next version we will be seeing the ages of our dwarves.

Actually, this is a perfect segue for my question - do we have an ETA on the next version yet? I'm currently starting up what appears to be a promising fortress and would like to avoid investing a lot of time in it if we'll be getting a new version in a week anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 04, 2010, 02:29:16 pm »

Given that Toady is recovering from the flu and we don't know how far he is into the testing phase, it isn't likely to be out next week. But Toady has gone through stuff pretty quickly before, so he could surprise us.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 04, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »

Another quick one: what layers do people think of as 'best'?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:51 pm »

Another quick one: what layers do people think of as 'best'?

Vanilla answer: probably sedimentary, because you are liable to get large clusters of magnetite, i.e. shitloads of iron.

Modded answer: whichever you want, because geology is easy to mod. You can mod your game to get large clusters of whatever ore you want, pretty much everywhere. Modding gems that way seems harder, however.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:32 pm »

As for your second question, dwarves won't build diagonal, so make sure that isn't the problem. Building walls must be done in a careful order.

Question: my Dungeon has demanded a "item in Bedroom". I built an item (copper statue) in his bedroom, but this did not satisfy the demand... any idea what such a demand means?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 04, 2010, 09:49:40 pm »

Extensive modding and testing has proven that, in fact, your embark creatures always start within the range of (Maxage.Min/2):(MaxAge.Max/2)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #596 on: January 04, 2010, 09:55:52 pm »

Question: my Dungeon has demanded a "item in Bedroom". I built an item (copper statue) in his bedroom, but this did not satisfy the demand... any idea what such a demand means?

You can't satisfy him; it's a programming bug. Fortunately, demands for room decor aren't deadly like production mandates, and you can just ignore the bugger.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 04, 2010, 09:58:05 pm »

Above Ground Farming:

I have longland grass seeds, but my aboveground fields have no option to plant them.  At first I thought it might be a list too big to show on the screen but it just doesn't show up at all no matter how much scrolling I do...

How does one grow this and whip vines?

It's not enough to have the seeds of above-ground plants. You won't be able to plant them until you obtain actual specimens of the plants themselves i.e. you actually need to have a whip vine or rope reed on hand.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:11 pm »

deadly (...) production mandates

Keep in mind, though, that those are only as deadly as you allow them to be. Abstaining from appointing both a fortress guard and sheriff is, at least in my experience, a surefire way of avoiding any punishment, both corporal and incarceration.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 05, 2010, 12:31:08 am »

deadly (...) production mandates

Keep in mind, though, that those are only as deadly as you allow them to be. Abstaining from appointing both a fortress guard and sheriff is, at least in my experience, a surefire way of avoiding any punishment, both corporal and incarceration.

... if you don't have a Hammerer noble, or you kill him when he arrives.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 181