Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204033 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 05, 2010, 12:38:18 am »

I was under the impression that the hammerer didn't act unless there was a captain/sheriff. At least that's how I remember it. Regardless, killing him whenever he arrives, while not terribly realistic (I mean, wouldn't the Mountainhome become suspicious if a noble died like every year in your fortress?) is entirely doable. Just as is putting him under house arrest, only feeding him via airlock.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 05, 2010, 05:41:32 am »

In world gen, battles are wars and the like are modelled. In fortress mode, are such battles and things that are completely independent of your fort also modelled? If the liason were to die when not in your fort, would you get another oe#ne?

dasutin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 05, 2010, 05:43:49 am »

Hey, I've got a quick question.
I just started a new game and suddenly my dwarves are seemingly afraid of anything that's in the way of placing other items. When I try and place a bed or a door or build a wall, if there's a piece of stone where it's going to be, they normally move it, right? Now they just suspend the construction and I have to find a way to make them move it. What should I do about this? I made sure all the hauling jobs and whatnot are enabled.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #603 on: January 05, 2010, 09:24:33 am »

In world gen, battles are wars and the like are modelled. In fortress mode, are such battles and things that are completely independent of your fort also modelled? If the liason were to die when not in your fort, would you get another oe#ne?
I think, though I am not certain, that history no longer progresses outside your fortress once you begin playing in fortress mode.  So no battles or other changes will take place outside your fortress while you are playing, and your liaison can only die at your fortress.

It is possible to have the fortress liaison killed in worldgen, in which case you will simply never get a liaison.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #604 on: January 05, 2010, 09:26:53 am »

Hey, I've got a quick question.
I just started a new game and suddenly my dwarves are seemingly afraid of anything that's in the way of placing other items. When I try and place a bed or a door or build a wall, if there's a piece of stone where it's going to be, they normally move it, right? Now they just suspend the construction and I have to find a way to make them move it. What should I do about this? I made sure all the hauling jobs and whatnot are enabled.
What is happening here is that the piece of stone is tasked for another job - building a wall somewhere else, being placed in a stone stockpile, being dumped, or about to be turned into a piece of furniture or stone mug or something.  Dwarves will only move a stone out of the way if that stone is not already tasked for a job.  You need to either wait for that stone to be moved (which can take forever if the job that stone is tasked for is also suspended) or find what job it's designated for and cancel it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 05, 2010, 02:04:03 pm »

Under what conditions will a megabeast turn into an undead megabeast?

Also, is there any way to be sieged by undead people without creating a whole new civ (is there any way to make undead goblins part of the goblin civilisations?)

dasutin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 05, 2010, 05:54:59 pm »

What is happening here is that the piece of stone is tasked for another job - building a wall somewhere else, being placed in a stone stockpile, being dumped, or about to be turned into a piece of furniture or stone mug or something.  Dwarves will only move a stone out of the way if that stone is not already tasked for a job.  You need to either wait for that stone to be moved (which can take forever if the job that stone is tasked for is also suspended) or find what job it's designated for and cancel it.
Hey, that worked, thanks a bunch!

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flying?
« Reply #607 on: January 05, 2010, 10:51:03 pm »

Is it possible to have an adveturer with the [FLIER] trait to actually fly when PCed? If so, what are the default controls/settings/whatever?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 05, 2010, 11:58:02 pm »

two questions:
can you sell furniture?
how do you sell animals?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 06, 2010, 12:16:57 am »

You can sell both of those by doing a 'q' over the trade depot, then 'g' to bring stuff there, then selecting the cages/furniture. Beware that I believe many times the animals escape the cages when bringing them to the trade depot. I believe this is due to some bug. However, if you know them conscience first, I don't believe they escape.

My question: this is embarrassing, but I'm color blind and having a difficult time telling what color this wound is. This archer brought down an entire ambush, but was unfortunately wounded, but I can't tell how badly! Could someone help me out? Thanks!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 06, 2010, 12:24:35 am »

Its suppoused to be brown I guess.

In the next version, you can at least change the colors for the wound indicators.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 06, 2010, 12:24:51 am »

Left UA is brown.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 06, 2010, 12:27:48 am »

ah ok. Thanks. That's not as bad as I thought... I thought it was lopped off.  :o

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 06, 2010, 12:41:07 am »

If it was lopped off the 'border' would of been the same grey as the background and the text the same grey as the normal limbs background... not sure if that helps... I'm not color-blind so I don't know what it's like.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 06, 2010, 01:09:54 am »

I'm not color-blind so I don't know what it's like.

There's different types of color blindness, so even if you were, you might not be able to appreciate the previous poster's problem.

Anyway, I'm not color blind, at least not to my knowledge, but I do am, shall we say, not very sensitive to color. I used to catch myself having problems differentiating between light wounds and lopped off in this game. I really don't understand why they'd use two shades of the same color for such diametrically different grades of trauma.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 181