Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204682 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #615 on: January 06, 2010, 01:19:20 am »

I'm not color-blind so I don't know what it's like.

There's different types of color blindness, so even if you were, you might not be able to appreciate the previous poster's problem.

Anyway, I'm not color blind, at least not to my knowledge, but I do am, shall we say, not very sensitive to color. I used to catch myself having problems differentiating between light wounds and lopped off in this game. I really don't understand why they'd use two shades of the same color for such diametrically different grades of trauma.

Actually, just about everybody could mistake one for the other because the two shades are similar and at first glance could be mistaken for bieng lopped off.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 06, 2010, 03:25:55 am »

they really should change it to something like black.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 06, 2010, 03:36:14 am »

You can change the wound status colors to whatever you want in the next version, so.. yea you can change it to black if you wanted to in the next release.

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 06, 2010, 04:52:07 am »

I unknowingly embarked on a freezing mountain which was too freezing
It was so cold that upon embark five of my dwarves instantaneously froze to death and one of them suffered frostbite damage on every limb and fell into a coma from which he never awoke.
My one remaining dwarf, the farmer, quickly dug down a level to get out of the cold and began the lonely task of trying to build a fortress by himself. He was promptly eaten by a GCS which dwelt by the neighbouring chasm.

My question is why the cold effected my dwarves unevenly?
They were wearing roughly the same clothing, eg. no one had any armour on.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 06, 2010, 07:04:28 am »

Did the farmer have any toughness levels?

And a question from me, if I made a fortress, the laison died, then the fortress was abandoned, if I 1).Reclaimed that fortress or  2). made a new fortress ( but with the same parent civ) would either of those alforts get a new laison?
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

eastwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 06, 2010, 08:32:05 am »

I never seem to get my appraiser leveled very far past what he embarks with (I always buy a proficient appraiser because it's so hard to level).  Does anyone know if I can level this skill by repeatedly requesting the broker and sending him away during the same merchant visit?

(I read on the wiki that exp is granted for this skill based on the amount of goods at the depot when he arrives -- but I don't know if you can get that to count multiple times during a single merchant visit)

Maybe I'm worried over something that isn't important, should I even care about the appraiser skill? I usually have so much goblin loot to sell after a couple of years that maybe I should bring a different skill and start at dabbling and not worry about it.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #621 on: January 06, 2010, 08:45:22 am »

I never seem to get my appraiser leveled very far past what he embarks with (I always buy a proficient appraiser because it's so hard to level).  Does anyone know if I can level this skill by repeatedly requesting the broker and sending him away during the same merchant visit?

(I read on the wiki that exp is granted for this skill based on the amount of goods at the depot when he arrives -- but I don't know if you can get that to count multiple times during a single merchant visit)

The wiki also says that your appraiser gains experience with every successful trade, so doing three or four small swaps with the same caravan might be better than one big one.

Since it's currently so easy to churn out/collect high-value trade goods, it's really not critical that your trader be super-experienced; just enough that you can see the prices, and the merchant's reaction to your offer(s). You get that long before "proficient" level.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 06, 2010, 03:22:34 pm »

ok, nub question time, I have been playing on and off DF for a couple of weeks now, and Typically like to embark on a site with a River that I divert into my fortress, but the problem is draining the water, I now that water drains if you get to the edge of the map (but you cant dig there) so does anyone one have any suggestions on how to get the water there, and if not... is there a mod around that lets you dig to the edge?

note: with out using chasms or anything like that either.
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #623 on: January 06, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »

I now that water drains if you get to the edge of the map (but you cant dig there) so does anyone one have any suggestions on how to get the water there, and if not... is there a mod around that lets you dig to the edge?

You can smooth (keys d - s) the stone at the very edge of the map, and then carve fortifications (keys d - a) in it. This will let the water drain out. You will need a dwarf with hir job set to "stone detailing." You should also carve a staircase down two or three levels at the end of your drain-tunnel and smooth/fortify there as well; makes sure the water doesn't back up and flood your fort.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 06, 2010, 05:13:29 pm »

2 Questions:

1) Cave-in related:

If I mine out a room, and then build walls to refil the space... will A cave in punch through the rebuilt walls?

For Example:

Code: [Select]
XXXXXQQQXXXX
X__________X
X__________X
X__________X
XXXXXXXXXXXX
In the pictures above, if I cave in the three Q's (X's are un-mined space), I think the Q's are going to fall through the two floors and land on top of the bottom row of X's.

But if I do this:
Code: [Select]
XXXXXQQQXXXX
X__________X
X____CCC___X
X__________X
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Will the cave in punch through the Constructed walls? (the C's above).

And second (this has to do with HFS, so don't open the spoiler tags if you don't want to know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 06, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »

1. No, the walls will stop a cavein.
2. Pretty sure that as soon as you see the blue the related message comes up.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 06, 2010, 07:37:45 pm »

The wiki also says that your appraiser gains experience with every successful trade, so doing three or four small swaps with the same caravan might be better than one big one.

Since it's currently so easy to churn out/collect high-value trade goods, it's really not critical that your trader be super-experienced; just enough that you can see the prices, and the merchant's reaction to your offer(s). You get that long before "proficient" level.
Actually after modding a bit I am pretty sure that appraiser skill comes not from the trade, but from viewing the stuff.  And it only works once per caravan.  Basically I just added a digit or two to the max capacity and found that just opening the trading window (and closing it) once was enough to get a legendary trader. (how many legendary traders do you need?)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 06, 2010, 08:00:07 pm »

Anyone happen to know if you setup an obsidian farm inside an above ground constructed tower, if it will go nuclear/collapse?

I'm thinking of filling a room with a constructed floor (and nothing but another constructed floor on the level below) with magma and dropping water from two floors above.... can you make obsidian that way?  or will it deconstruct the floor the magma is on and potentially create a cavein?

And secondly, would it work better if instead of doing on a constructed foor, it was done on top of walls constructed from the level below?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 06, 2010, 08:27:04 pm »

HFS Question..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 06, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »

Cotton candy is misleading. I prefer clownite.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 181