Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204670 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #660 on: January 08, 2010, 10:38:04 pm »

I just had someone make an artifact bone short sword, but no one wants to equip it. Is this because it's made out of bone, or is short sword not a dwarf weapon, or what?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 08, 2010, 11:32:22 pm »

Short swords are dwarfy all right. You will notice that you can even specifically order them to equip short swords in the m -> w menu. They won't, however, equip artifact war gear (goes for armor as well, not just weapons) unless they're champions, i.e. legendary at a fighting skill.

You do not, however, want a dabbling sword user equipping an artifact sword, as powerful weapons in inexperienced hands increase the risk of sparring injuries. Instead I recommend that you forbid the weapon at first, make your champion reach legendary sword user training with a silver weapon, and only then make them equip the sword. This is pretty important, if you value safety, at least, because a champion who has once equipped an artifact will never unequip it unless he loses* the body part holding/wearing it.

*Breaking or crippling might also be enough, I'm not sure.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 08, 2010, 11:44:27 pm »

The fort I'm currently in is in a tantrum spiral, so I had hopes my newly appointed CotG could wield this beauty as he struck fears into the criminals than ran free. Alas, it's not meant to be.

Thanks for the answer - I have just the dwarf who I want carrying it

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 09, 2010, 04:38:46 am »

still unable to screenshot my game... does it not work when it's in fullscreen?

on that topic, does running in windowed mode usually grind the fps to a halt? it does for me...
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 09, 2010, 05:45:21 pm »

Happydog: waterfalls seem to work and generate mist while falling through floor grates. SO you should be able to keep your dwarves safe that way.

Yeah I knew that would work, but for my first waterfall experiments  I was planning to do it behind windows if I could to relieve some of the potential flooding disasters that may happen.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 09, 2010, 05:55:11 pm »

None of my dwarves are sparring with any weapon.

All my current military dwarves are set to unarmed

The squads are off-duty.

There is a large barracks area.

But rather than spar they feel like it would be a better idea to go sleep in my courtyard.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 09, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »

Try pressing "x" to get to the squad menu, cycling through your squads with -/+, and deleting patrol routes with "x". Even if you never assigned patrol routes, doing this can help if your stationing spot were glitched, which sometimes happens when you change leaders and subordinates who already had their own patrol routes.

Also, are your troops set to sleep in the barracks?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 09, 2010, 06:16:11 pm »

They are set to sleep in the barracks and they have no patrol routes currently.

...But, after a year of being typical dwarves, they finally decide to start sparring in the barracks.

I think the problem may have been that every time after setting that room as the barracks I hit the "Free bed" button.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #668 on: January 09, 2010, 07:39:32 pm »

They are set to sleep in the barracks and they have no patrol routes currently.

...But, after a year of being typical dwarves, they finally decide to start sparring in the barracks.

I think the problem may have been that every time after setting that room as the barracks I hit the "Free bed" button.

A way to avoid that is to put an armor stand or weapon rack in there and use it instead.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:03 pm »

How do I savescum?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 09, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »

Copy the savegame folder and make a backup.

I find it's quicker and easier to open up task manager, click on hte processes tab, and end the dwarffort.exe process.

Also, just got to the first winter on my latest fort, and no dwarven caravan has turned up - shouldn't they always turn up?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 09, 2010, 08:30:41 pm »

How do I savescum?

Assuming you are on windows and have a previous save of your fort, bring up task manager (ctrl-alt-delete or ctrl-shift-esc depending on windows version and config) and on the processes tab select dwarffort.exe and hit end process.

start up dwarf fort again and load your fort and nothing that you did or happened since your last save will have happened yet.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 09, 2010, 08:49:55 pm »

I meant savescum like take many saves, not revert to a previous one.
Ed, where's the savegame folder? Is it Dwarf Fortress>data>save? Also, is it possible to just copy a few files instead of the entire folder, or do you need the whole folder to savescum?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 09, 2010, 09:15:29 pm »

I meant savescum like take many saves, not revert to a previous one.
Ed, where's the savegame folder? Is it Dwarf Fortress>data>save? Also, is it possible to just copy a few files instead of the entire folder, or do you need the whole folder to savescum?

I find if you go to the init file and set the following:

[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
[AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:NO]

You get plenty of saves... Worst case with this is that you have one season lost...  And every save made is automatically backed up by season and year.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 09, 2010, 09:21:49 pm »

The save folder is indeed there. I have no idea which files can be left unchanged, so I wuold recommend not risking it and copying the whole folder.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 181