Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204663 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 09, 2010, 10:26:43 pm »

Oh wow. Thanks everyone!

Is it more advisable to place my trade depot on the edge of the map or near my fortress (if so, inside or just outside)?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #676 on: January 10, 2010, 04:46:07 am »

Is it more advisable to place my trade depot on the edge of the map or near my fortress (if so, inside or just outside)?

It's really up to you, but it's safer to put it as close to your fort entrance as possible, and save your dwarfs having to haul goods back and forth across open country. Just be sure there's a three-tile-wide clear path to at least one edge of the map.

If I stick with one of my forts long enough, I go one step further and build a more secure wagon-tunnel to the edge and put the depot right inside my barracks. Even quicker for hauling and further cuts down on Goblin ambushes.

Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

lvk

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry gopher!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 10, 2010, 05:55:12 am »

I had a few cage traps which captured rhesus macaque, but I can't seem to get them out. It doesn't seem to be a building, and using 'k' on it says '-rhesus macaque cage (material)'. Can I even get it out? (If not, what did I do wrong?)

Also, is it possible for dwarf A to take the steel battle axe dwarf B is holding?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:06:39 am by lvk »

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2010, 06:36:41 am »

You have to build the cage via b->j, then release the animal from the cage. I don't remember if wild animals can just be set free from the cage or if you have to link it to a lever to release them.

Tell dwarf B to go unarmed and he'll drop the axe (disable woodcutting too). If he grabbed the axe during wrestling you'll have to tell him to drop everything (set to no armor/shield) to make sure he lets go of it.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

lvk

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry gopher!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2010, 06:42:42 am »

You have to build the cage via b->j, then release the animal from the cage. I don't remember if wild animals can just be set free from the cage or if you have to link it to a lever to release them.
So there's cage traps and normal cages? Is there a difference between the two, and what can I do with my rhesus macaque who fell for the cage trap?

Tell dwarf B to go unarmed and he'll drop the axe (disable woodcutting too). If he grabbed the axe during wrestling you'll have to tell him to drop everything (set to no armor/shield) to make sure he lets go of it.
That worked, thanks a lot!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 10, 2010, 07:24:18 am »

Oh wow. Thanks everyone!

Keep in mind that it cannot go within 10 tiles of the edge - I've had to redesign many a fortress when I forgot this.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 10, 2010, 09:02:22 am »

Just started a new fort and noticed...

Q:  When I hit 'c' there is only one Civ showing, a dwarven civ.  I don't remember a human trader coming yet.  Am I going to get any human or elf traders or goblin attacks?

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 10, 2010, 09:57:49 am »

Q:  When I hit 'c' there is only one Civ showing, a dwarven civ.  I don't remember a human trader coming yet.  Am I going to get any human or elf traders or goblin attacks?
I noticed the same thing with my current fort. I think civs don't show up in the list until you encounter them.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 10, 2010, 11:53:53 am »

I noticed the same thing with my current fort. I think civs don't show up in the list until you encounter them.

That's true. Other civilisations only show up in the list after you encounter them at your site. Note that there are a few sites, that are indeed inaccessable, so no one will show up, ever. But that's rather rare.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

McDolomite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 10, 2010, 12:46:31 pm »

Hi, I've got a few questions:

1. I got a metalsmith mood exactly the moment I was moving my forges to a new location. There are 3 new magmaforges now but he won't claim one. What can I do?

2. Does light get through multiple glass floors? It would be logic but I don't know how the game handles it.

3. What if there is snow on top of the glass?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 10, 2010, 01:16:01 pm »

Hi, I've got a few questions:

1. I got a metalsmith mood exactly the moment I was moving my forges to a new location. There are 3 new magmaforges now but he won't claim one. What can I do?

2. Does light get through multiple glass floors? It would be logic but I don't know how the game handles it.

3. What if there is snow on top of the glass?

1. Sometimes a moody dwarf will need the non-magma version a workshop (forge or glass furnace). Just build a regular forge and he'll start his work. He won't even need fuel, as he hammers out an artifact with his bare fists ;)

2. and 3. Light doesn't care about materials currently. It gets through glass just as it gets through steel. Once a square has been exposed to light (and is therefore counted as above-ground), you can encase it in 20 blocks of massive marble to every side and it won't become below-ground again, ever. Just <k> over any square to see what it says.
I still do like to build with glass, because it feels more real for me, even if the game doesn't care at all.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

McDolomite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 10, 2010, 01:34:20 pm »

Thanks for the quick answer, moki.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #687 on: January 10, 2010, 02:16:51 pm »

For future reference, while still on the world map, you can hit your Tab key two or three times, and you'll get a list of all the civilizations that can reach the site currently being highlighted. Unbroken mountain ranges and/or oceans are what cut off access.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 10, 2010, 03:16:00 pm »

At what water level is it possible to alt-move out of a channel?

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 10, 2010, 04:04:37 pm »

I don't suppose anyone can tell me why my framerate has suddenly decided to be very inconsistent.

I've got 31 dwarves in a moderately sized fortress on a 7×6 embark location

While that may sound bad already, I once had 120 dwarves in a 8×6 site and had constant 60 fps at all times (Although this time I have the mayday tileset with dig deeper on)

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with total number of processes going on (jobs and whatnot) since it will stay at 100 when there's 0 idlers and then drop to 20 when it stops raining, or any number of random things.

And just for reference,
Windows 7 64bit
8GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 2.50GHz
ATI HD 5870 1GB
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 181