Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203995 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24:36 pm »

At what water level is it possible to alt-move out of a channel?

Depends on swimming skill, IIRC.

As for framerate, it's determined by many many variables, such as phases of the moon, and so forth.
Generally, open up major pathing routes, clear rocks into chasms and magma to reduce stuff to calculate, and so forth. Lots of threads on it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 10, 2010, 04:26:49 pm »

So there's cage traps and normal cages? Is there a difference between the two, and what can I do with my rhesus macaque who fell for the cage trap?
Built cages won't capture creatures if stepped on, and can be designated as zoos to give dwarves happy thoughts. Additionally, you can store more than one animal in the cage, and it can be a tame one too. As for the rhesus macaque, if you capture a couple so you have a male and female you can breed them for fun (their offspring won't be friendly unless tamed). Other players make arenas and such for captured creatures, could give that a try also.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 10, 2010, 04:29:48 pm »

clear rocks into chasms and magma

Ah, I suppose that tile full of 500+ dumped rocks may have something to do with it then.

But I just don't want to throw away all that excess chalk.

I mean, how else will the children of my fortress know about hopscotch?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 10, 2010, 04:30:30 pm »

Daaaaang I'm out of plump helmet spawn
What do I do

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »

What do I do
Eat wood and drink stone?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 10, 2010, 04:48:21 pm »

What do I do
Hunting (enable in the labor menu, make sure you have edible animals and that the hunter is either bad-ass, well-equiped, or a marksdwarf, perferably all three) or herbalism (enable in the labor menu and designate shrubs; unskilled herbalists will produce very little food).

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 10, 2010, 05:02:13 pm »

I have some dude brawling with mountain goats and such, but I really want a steady food supply that will keep me fed in a siege... can I buy plump helmets from traders and such, is my question?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 10, 2010, 05:05:54 pm »

You can buy them. My recommendation is to buy all the types of seeds you can from the caravans, and take care not to bungle this farming business like that next time. It's not rocket surgery.

Also, check if you've got plump helmets proper (as in, not spawn, but the crops). You did know that you get seeds eating or brewing crops (but not from cooking; this is important, so I'll say it again: cooking is liable to use up both your seeds and crops if you're not careful)?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 10, 2010, 05:06:43 pm »

Yeah, traders will offer both whole plump helmets and seeds for other crops.

Also, herbalism will eventually give you seeds for above-ground crops.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 10, 2010, 05:09:21 pm »

Yeah, I have plump helmets, so I forbidded cooking or brewing. I'm hoping my dwarves will eventually eat them and get some seeds for planting. I think I accidentally let my chefdwarf cook a bunch of my plump helms so that I didn't get the seeds or something...
I tried an aboveground farm before, but it was sort of sucky.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 10, 2010, 05:15:01 pm »

Read my post again. If you want new seeds, brewing is actually a good way of obtaining them. It's only then not recommended if you're low on food in the first place (but brewing just one batch of them might be an acceptable trade-off, as one seed can give you 3-5 new plants if you've got a competent grower*).

* Which you probably don't, judging by your overall approach to agriculture, so I'd recommend taking one proficient grower with you next time you embark, and turning on "only farmers harvest" in standing orders. Your grower will be legendary in one to three years, depending on how much you farm anyway, and one legendary grower is as good as two dozen unskilled ones.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 10, 2010, 05:18:54 pm »

Oh, oops, I misread that. Thanks!

My grower was maxed on farming at embark, but I think I didn't have only farmers harvest or something. Thanks again!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 10, 2010, 05:32:06 pm »

clear rocks into chasms and magma

Ah, I suppose that tile full of 500+ dumped rocks may have something to do with it then.

But I just don't want to throw away all that excess chalk.

I mean, how else will the children of my fortress know about hopscotch?

Mine some more, then.

With 500+ rocks, just drop magma on top. It'll be more Fun.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 10, 2010, 05:36:53 pm »

Oh, oops, I misread that. Thanks!

My grower was maxed on farming at embark, but I think I didn't have only farmers harvest or something. Thanks again!

Good idea with giving that guy proficient growing/planting. That's still 10 levels away from legendary, but with that standing order set as I recommended it, he should be legendary right soon (that's understandably because you get experience from harvesting as well as planting, so it's better to have just one getting it all).

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 10, 2010, 06:00:29 pm »

Good idea with giving that guy proficient growing/planting. That's still 10 levels away from legendary, but with that standing order set as I recommended it, he should be legendary right soon (that's understandably because you get experience from harvesting as well as planting, so it's better to have just one getting it all).
Generally I don't agree with this.  Having all dwarves harvest is the only way to get useful labor from children/nobles and greatly reduces the chances of crops withering in the field.  If you don't cook seeds or raw plants and avoid the aforementioned withering you'll never run out of seeds no matter how skilled your farmers are.  Most players seem to value high-skilled farmers more than I do, though, so YMMV.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 181