Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204517 times)

Herzele

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #795 on: January 16, 2010, 08:45:50 am »

Perfect ! Thx !

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 16, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »

A nice little question, how do I make custom tilesets?

Start here: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tileset

Multicolor graphics sets like Mike Mayday's tiles are slightly trickier, but there's some info on the wiki for those too.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 16, 2010, 08:43:30 pm »

If it's the last world you generated, then start the game and go to designate new world with parameters. Look at the set of parameters you've used for your last world, and you will see that the seed had been saved, but that the game is supposed to use a random seed next time. Now, you just tell the game to use the world seed as entered in the relevant field, and it should generate the same world you've had before the power failure.

You can also go to your init\world_gen file and make a backup of the parameter set you're so fond of, or better yet, copy the whole world_gen file, just to make sure.

Gaaaa....

accidently created a new medium map while trying to go into make a custom one, so thats a no go.

Now something good is that ive enabled it or i have it so that theres a game_log.txt so it displays basically everything...
unfortunitly its in a weird order...
Im assuming ill have to go through all the seeds to try to find the one my perfect world is in?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 16, 2010, 08:51:48 pm »

The humans are sieging me. I think a goblin ambush killed their liaison or something. Can I modify the raws so that they'll send traders and be peaceful again? (Note: Dwarf Companion doesn't seem to work on my computer)
EDIT: Also, how can I make a simple cistern off of a murky pond? I don't want these complicated systems and such, just something to store water.
What I'm planning right now is a bunch of chambers with doors, one underneath the pond. When it rains it'll fill up the first chamber, and when it's full and raining I can open some doors to let the water into new chambers, expanding the capacity. Will this work?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:56:26 pm by Cheddarius »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 16, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »

dont think you can mod them to be friendly again... jsut gotta wait till they send a diplomat or something...

And do this...

Side on view.

Code: [Select]
___...___
###MHM###
FFFF,####

_ is above ground
. is empty space
, is tile
# is wall
M  is murky pool
H is channeled area (do this from below or something.
f is floodgate

Attach the floodgates to levers
Open the next floodgate in line when 7/7 is in the comma.
Keep doing this till you have your required water to fill other things.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 16, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »

The humans are sieging me. I think a goblin ambush killed their liaison or something. Can I modify the raws so that they'll send traders and be peaceful again? (Note: Dwarf Companion doesn't seem to work on my computer)
Kill them, hard. If you wreck their armies badly enough, the humans' government will basically say "screw that!" and send a diplomat to ask you for a peace treaty.

Of course, you only get one diplomat (who is a seperate person from the liaison), so if you accidentally let it die, too, the humans will continue sieging you.

EDIT: Also, how can I make a simple cistern off of a murky pond? I don't want these complicated systems and such, just something to store water.
What I'm planning right now is a bunch of chambers with doors, one underneath the pond. When it rains it'll fill up the first chamber, and when it's full and raining I can open some doors to let the water into new chambers, expanding the capacity. Will this work?
That plan should work, but I would suggest that you have a lever-linked hatch over the first chamber so you can seal it from the outside. Indoor water evaporates only if it is at 1/7 depth, whereas outdoor water evaporates dependent on temperature.

But yeah, basically you just have a small chamber with a door leading into a tunnel with many other doors in it. Let the first chamber fill to 7/7, then open the first door so that you have 3 spaces to fill. Water from the first chamber fills them all to 2 or 3/7, then collected rainwater fills all 3 to 7/7, then you open the next door, expanding your capacity to 9 total at 2/7 or higher, then repeat until you have gotten to your main cistern and have enough water to fill it and the rain-collection tunnel to 2/7, and then just leave it to collect more rainwater as you can. It's an involved process, but not complicated.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 16, 2010, 09:30:01 pm »

Thanks for the cistern tips, I'll try those out!

The accursed humies have 7 swordsmen and 8 wrestlers. Can my 5 archers (levels 6,8,8,9,10, minimal/no armor/shield skill, no armor/shield) and High Master Axeman (no armor/shield or skill) take them out? Should I have some expendable wrestlers trained? I have a 3-wide path with a floor on top where I can send archers to pick them off, and a bridge that blocks off the end... but it's not very long.

EDIT: I'm exploratory-mining the bottom level with a grid of digs. This somehow makes my miners act like Neanderthal idiots barely able to walk without straining their minds. What they do is they complete one piece of the grid except one tile, move to the entire opposite end, and mine the last tile when they could have just mined it without moving. Being legendary, this slows them down a massive amount relative to the time it takes to actually mine. Is there some way to fix this without labor-intensive designation?

EDIT2: I have some stone marked for dumping and a garbage zone nearby, but my haulers just sit around doing nothing. This always worked before, so why not now?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:40:09 pm by Cheddarius »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 16, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »

I've found that killing a diplomat may not cause war, actually. The elf one bled to death on my current fort, and they sent no ambushers.
Sorted their caravans out good and proper, though. Beasties, berries, booze, and trinkets again, with less cloth.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 17, 2010, 02:13:48 am »

There is a very nasty cave spider guarding the magma pipe, bottomless pit and chasm very near my fortress. (Dwarf Heaven site)

Assuming I'm lucky enough that he doesn't actually charge into my fortress or kill all my currently essential dwarves, how do I deal with him?

Also, on my earlier framerate conundrum...

At an earlier point in time, I had a fortress with about 110 dwarves and a good thousand items at least, on a... 9×6 embark zone if I recall.

So why are 500 items, 34 dwarves and about the same amount of wildlife making my fps confused about whether it wants to stay between 20 and 100?

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I am now using the mayday tileset whereas before I was using this.

And on yet another note, how come using any tileset at all seems to completely disable the sound/music? Even if I enable it in the init, I only hear anything if I use the unmodified game straight from this site.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 17, 2010, 02:42:44 am »

And on yet another note, how come using any tileset at all seems to completely disable the sound/music? Even if I enable it in the init, I only hear anything if I use the unmodified game straight from this site.

If you go to your data\sound folder, you will most likely notice that files song_game.ogg or song_title.ogg are missing if you're using Mayday's distribution (and perhaps others as well). If you want music, then you're going to have download the original and copy the music files into your current DF folder.

Also, there is no sound other than music in this game.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 17, 2010, 03:23:35 am »

There is a very nasty cave spider guarding the magma pipe, bottomless pit and chasm very near my fortress. (Dwarf Heaven site)

Assuming I'm lucky enough that he doesn't actually charge into my fortress or kill all my currently essential dwarves, how do I deal with him?

Also, on my earlier framerate conundrum...

At an earlier point in time, I had a fortress with about 110 dwarves and a good thousand items at least, on a... 9×6 embark zone if I recall.

So why are 500 items, 34 dwarves and about the same amount of wildlife making my fps confused about whether it wants to stay between 20 and 100?

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I am now using the mayday tileset whereas before I was using this.

make something like this.

Code: [Select]
CCCCC
CCPCC
CCSCC
CCCCC
CCCCC

C= CAGE TRAP
 p = puppy
s = restraint.

and try to lure the gcs to the puppy... somehow... i suggest cats and dropping them or something...
---

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 17, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »

Remember to build some fortifications and station some archers there. Maybe even put the tar baby behind the fortifications, so that the cave spider will wander about uselessly while your archers/ballistas gun it down.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 17, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »

Remember to build some fortifications and station some archers there. Maybe even put the tar baby behind the fortifications, so that the cave spider will wander about uselessly while your archers/ballistas gun it down.

I'm pretty sure that the point of using cage traps, as described above, is to capture something alive. Especially if it's as valuable as a GCS.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 17, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »

Oh man I didn't see the cage trap part. Ooops.

EDIT: Also, apparently my computer is old and my graphical processing unit can't use Maygreen tilesets; is there some intermediate tileset I could use or something like that?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:03:14 pm by Cheddarius »

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 17, 2010, 02:19:18 pm »

Not to mention the biggest reason I'm having trouble dealing with it is the fact that my fortress is still in the early stages.

I'll see if I can't lay down some cage traps before it or some other hideous monster decides it wants to have my entire population as a light dinner.

If I capture it, is it possible to use it as a neverending supply of silk? Or should I just sell it to the mountainhomes for that anvil I'm still lacking. And on the subject of selling, I hear of some occassions where bringing the cage the creature is in will remove the creature. Is there some complex way of delivering a captured monster to the trade depot involving perpetual motion devices and conveyor belts sorted to appease the golden ratio, or was that just a bug from older versions?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:21:45 pm by Lumbajak »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 181