Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204640 times)

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #855 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:49 pm »

I'm gathering my legendary items so I can combine them to super awesome crazynes.
I've got an artifact star ruby encrusted with star ruby and an artifact raw adamantine mechanism decorated with raw adamantine.  I've been training up a gem setter for a couple years to legenday and want to encrust the mechanism with the ruby.  I lock my setter in an area with access only to the artifact room and a jewlers workshop.  But, he cancels the job stating that there were no star rubies.  Is there any way I can fix this.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #856 on: January 18, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »

I'm gathering my legendary items so I can combine them to super awesome crazynes.
I've got an artifact star ruby encrusted with star ruby and an artifact raw adamantine mechanism decorated with raw adamantine.  I've been training up a gem setter for a couple years to legenday and want to encrust the mechanism with the ruby.  I lock my setter in an area with access only to the artifact room and a jewlers workshop.  But, he cancels the job stating that there were no star rubies.  Is there any way I can fix this.

I suspect you can't encrust artifacts onto anything.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 18, 2010, 09:14:27 pm »

Pretty sure you can't encrust an artifact with another artifact, I don't think you can even encrust an artifact with normal gems.

Anyone know the maxage for creatures that don't have the [MAXAGE:x:x] tag, like fire imps?
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 18, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »

Anyone know the maxage for creatures that don't have the [MAXAGE:x:x] tag, like fire imps?
A hundred quadrillion years, minimum. If a creature has no MAXAGE tag, it doesn't die of old age.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that once an artifact is made, it's utterly static. Also, you can only encrust things with small gems, while perfect (artifact) gems are a subset of large gems.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 18, 2010, 11:08:59 pm »

A hundred quadrillion years, minimum. If a creature has no MAXAGE tag, it doesn't die of old age.

I suspect after two billion and some change years things get funny when the signed 32-bit value wraps around to negative age.  Suffice to say "old enough" :)
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 18, 2010, 11:28:45 pm »

How do I keep my dwarves from being really stupid when I tell them to get inside? What I mean is I get ambushed by six squads of goblins or whatnot, I tell everyone to get in so I can bring up the drawbridge, and then they rush in. A second later, they're safely inside, and then they run out again to do something. This repeats, so they never get inside where I can pull the bridge safely...

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 19, 2010, 12:09:06 am »

ok, besides typing o>i (dwarves stay indoors) you also have to eliminate reasons fo them to go outside.

first type o>r>o (dwarves ignore refuse from outside)
then d>b>f and mass select all the things that's already outside that your dwarves would want to get.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 19, 2010, 12:26:25 am »

Also, make about 10 spaces on your side of the drawbridge "outside."  That way, they'll cancel any outside jobs and head back inside long before they reach the bridge.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 19, 2010, 12:31:27 am »

How do I make things outside or inside? That seems the simplest way.

Also, I've assigned a bunch of animals to be hurled ungraciously in a pit I have, but nobody's doing it. When I assign goblins to be thrown, they do it (although they usually freak out and run away from the goblins already in the pit) but with the animals they don't. Why could this be?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 19, 2010, 01:48:44 am »

make light constantly touch it

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 19, 2010, 03:14:18 am »

What's important is that once light has touched something, it's forever outside for the purpose of standing orders, and I think farming.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #866 on: January 19, 2010, 08:55:42 am »

Your artifact star ruby is a 'Large Gem'.  You can only encrust objects with 'cut gems', not with a 'Large Gem'.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 19, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »

What's important is that once light has touched something, it's forever outside for the purpose of standing orders, and I think farming.
technically yes, but while dwarves do not care about it, exposed and recovered areas are treated as "Light" and "inside" at the same time, the dwarves are staying away from things with the "Light" tag when ordered to stay inside, apparently.

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 19, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »

Yeah, I'm talking about the zero_rent setting in the init. I'm not sure if it'll work, because the economy proper can't be disabled once it triggers; hence, the same might be true for rents.

Just coming back to clarify that retroactively setting zero_rent in init does work.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 19, 2010, 02:24:43 pm »

How much time does a creature have to be pregnant before it gives birth? (Did not know how to put this any better)
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 181