Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204618 times)

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #885 on: January 20, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »

Is there any way to prevent muddy subterranean tiles from growing tower caps and shrubs?
It has been my experience that constructing floors on those tiles will stop tower-cap growth.  I have heard other say they've seen tower-caps grown on constructed floors, but never seen it myself, so YMMV.  Constructing paved roads also seems to stop tower-caps from growing.

Are paved roads sufficient for desalination?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 20, 2010, 04:53:26 pm »

That is a good question that I don't know the answer to.

I do, however, know that wells ignore saltiness. If you need water, set up several of those above your salty pools.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 20, 2010, 04:56:45 pm »

Hmm... paved roads. That should also make it easier to attract the king without paving half the mountain range with platinum :)
The fish are watching.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 20, 2010, 06:14:25 pm »

Just started my first fortress with an underground river.

Is there any way to prevent muddy subterranean tiles from growing tower caps and shrubs? I'd hate to see the elaborate plumbing I have planned for this fortress get clogged, but I do need to tap the river if I'm ever going to do any farming at this site.

Build a road on them. Of any sort.

Generally, just make them non-muddy. Tower-caps and shrubs will grow on anything.
My personal solution is to floor the elf drowner in constructed floors, with a plan to change them if they get muddy.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 20, 2010, 06:55:53 pm »

yet another nub question, i checked around and could not find a quick answer to this so..

wth are my soldiers doing?

i dont have trouble training soldiers most of the time, some mainly (or dwarfy) wrestling followed by hammer training with cooper war hammers.

the 3 guys i have right now seem to anything but spare (yes they are off duty) they stand in the barracks for 2 seconds, then run off (they are decently agile so i cant even track them all that well) train for 2 more seconds and then run off again. it has been 2 seasons since i started these guys and they have not even gotten out off dabbling hammer user yet. i even check dwarf therapist and turn everything else off except military stuff just in case, and still these little bearded bastards are running left and right never getting any real training done.

impending hm hammering eh?
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:42 pm »

yet another nub question, i checked around and could not find a quick answer to this so..

wth are my soldiers doing?

i dont have trouble training soldiers most of the time, some mainly (or dwarfy) wrestling followed by hammer training with cooper war hammers.

the 3 guys i have right now seem to anything but spare (yes they are off duty) they stand in the barracks for 2 seconds, then run off (they are decently agile so i cant even track them all that well) train for 2 more seconds and then run off again. it has been 2 seasons since i started these guys and they have not even gotten out off dabbling hammer user yet. i even check dwarf therapist and turn everything else off except military stuff just in case, and still these little bearded bastards are running left and right never getting any real training done.

impending hm hammering eh?

I don't know if this is your problem, but wrestling is notorious for leveling too fast, while other skills take a while to spar up.  If you catch some invaders in traps and disarm them and then release them to be training dummies for your military they tend to get skill faster than if they were just sparring.

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 20, 2010, 10:50:34 pm »

yeah, but the problem is they are not sparring at all, currently they are just running around the fortress doing nothing. I mean it, they stop at random stock piles (like wood) stand there for a sec, then move again, not carrying anything either. all tasks for them are turned off in Dwarf Therapist, wth is going on?
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 20, 2010, 11:08:52 pm »

Do they have brain or spine damage?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:21 pm »

no, but they are about to.

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 20, 2010, 11:26:14 pm »

the more i look at it, the more i wonder if this is a bug of some sort, i took them off military duty to pump iron, and they did the jobs with no problem, i put em back on duty to spare, they wander off to sit in dorm room hallway doing nothing at all.

i have tried remaking the barracks,
removing the rooms the soldiers own.
switching their weapons, nothing.

as i type this, they are currently zooming in and out of various bed rooms owned by other dwarfs.

its really starting to piss me off, i put these guys through plenty of civilian training to get tough before i put them on guard duty, now they pretty much worthless as a fighting force.

oh,and put them on duty and assign a station to them, they do that with no problem 2.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47:37 pm »

That is a good question that I don't know the answer to.

I do, however, know that wells ignore saltiness. If you need water, set up several of those above your salty pools.

Thats cool to know.

@Skorpion: I've never had TCs or the UG shrubs grow on muddied constructed floors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 21, 2010, 02:42:32 am »

What Human Settlement spawns a Temple???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 21, 2010, 10:50:36 am »

If I want to visit my old fortresses in adventure mode, is there a method of finding them besides remembering where they are?  And is there a way to see where your fortress is located on the world map after embarkation?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:55 am »

If I want to visit my old fortresses in adventure mode, is there a method of finding them besides remembering where they are?  And is there a way to see where your fortress is located on the world map after embarkation?

As far as I know, you have to more or less remember your location. If you know you're looking in the right direction as an adventurer, then you should ask in nearby town about the surroundings. The people there should (if you ask often enough) point you in the direction of your former fortress.

As to seeing where you embarked, I think the only way is to abandon and then reclaim (without actually reclaiming, mind you, but this way you're at least shown your location).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 21, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »

Find the civillisation. Ask about the surroundings.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 181