Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204013 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #900 on: January 21, 2010, 12:27:21 pm »

Find the civillisation. Ask about the surroundings.

Are you sure that is correct? One could embark half-way across the world from one's civilization, and hence have other dwarven civilizations actually closer by. What I did was, after abandoning and finding my ex-fort on the map, start an adventurer in the civ closest to said fort and asked the locals for directions.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 21, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »

yet another nub question, i checked around and could not find a quick answer to this so..

wth are my soldiers doing?

i dont have trouble training soldiers most of the time, some mainly (or dwarfy) wrestling followed by hammer training with cooper war hammers.

the 3 guys i have right now seem to anything but spare (yes they are off duty) they stand in the barracks for 2 seconds, then run off (they are decently agile so i cant even track them all that well) train for 2 more seconds and then run off again. it has been 2 seasons since i started these guys and they have not even gotten out off dabbling hammer user yet. i even check dwarf therapist and turn everything else off except military stuff just in case, and still these little bearded bastards are running left and right never getting any real training done.

impending hm hammering eh?

I have solved this by building a training room with a drawbridge in the entrance.  I set up a decent stockpile of food and boose, some chairs tables and beds etc, then station the units i want to train in the room (on duty) then have some dwarf come by and pull the lever to lock them in, then set the trainees to stand down and since they have nowhere to go they train a lot more.  I have to keep track of the food and put the trainees back on duty while I re-stock, but that is not too much trouble, and I am sure one could set up a hole to dump food down if you don't want to bother with opening the door etc.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 21, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

I have solved this by building a training room with a drawbridge in the entrance. 

Depending on the size of the training area and such, you might be better off/safer using a door linked to a lever...  Once linked to lever it will be unable to open/close except for by the lever, and doors have an added bonus of not crushing a dwarf who decides to move at the wrong time.  Even on station dwarves move from time to time, and eventually you may accidentally relieve one of his atoms using a bridge.  Which if they are also wearing any kind of masterwork item might also have unintended fun attached.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 21, 2010, 04:29:22 pm »

I have solved this by building a training room with a drawbridge in the entrance. 

Depending on the size of the training area and such, you might be better off/safer using a door linked to a lever...  Once linked to lever it will be unable to open/close except for by the lever, and doors have an added bonus of not crushing a dwarf who decides to move at the wrong time.  Even on station dwarves move from time to time, and eventually you may accidentally relieve one of his atoms using a bridge.  Which if they are also wearing any kind of masterwork item might also have unintended fun attached.

I tried this with a door, and for some reason they refused to spar and appeared to be continually attempting to path to the meeting area where all the other dwarves were hanging out.  When I replaced the door with a drawbridge they started sparring.  I know this is counterintuitive, since lever-locked doors are supposed to block pathing.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 21, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »

Find the civillisation. Ask about the surroundings.

Are you sure that is correct? One could embark half-way across the world from one's civilization, and hence have other dwarven civilizations actually closer by. What I did was, after abandoning and finding my ex-fort on the map, start an adventurer in the civ closest to said fort and asked the locals for directions.

I said find the civillisation. As in, the one you were trading with in the fort.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 21, 2010, 11:32:41 pm »

I said find the civillisation. As in, the one you were trading with in the fort.

As far as I know, the civilization you trade with is your home civ, i.e. it isn't necessarily the one closest to you. Also: that's two times in a row that you've misspelled civilization. I'd recommend getting a spell checker for your browser.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 22, 2010, 12:04:46 am »

I don't need a spellcheck. I'll be able to spell again once I'm not sleep-deprived.

And if we're going THAT low, that should be a comma and not a colon.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 22, 2010, 12:30:13 am »

Argh, the Demon Spellcheck has raised its narsty head again.:Raises shield against the varmint:
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 22, 2010, 02:52:07 am »

Do goblins have to see a path inside to be lured into that path, or do they just "know"?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 22, 2010, 02:56:46 am »

Do goblins have to see a path inside to be lured into that path, or do they just "know"?
every creature in df is telepathic about paths.
There has to bee a path or they just sit there dwiddling their thumbs... ild like that to change though so they path to places like dead ends, wait a bit then run off again... during their freetime or otherwise...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 22, 2010, 05:01:21 pm »

How do I attack "friendly" traders?
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 22, 2010, 05:08:28 pm »

Easiest way:
Make your trade depot Trade accessible but also sealable.
Use screw pumps and water to flood the trade depot and drown them.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 23, 2010, 03:31:04 am »

And if we're going THAT low, that should be a comma and not a colon.

When I make errors, I expect others to correct them and not be a dick about it. That's what I did (if you noticed any sarcasm or anything like it in my words, that wasn't my intention), so you have nothing to get defensive about.

Or was it that we disagreed on something, I corrected your spelling, and you thought I had used that to somehow discredit you? Frankly, I should be insulted that you expected such FARK- or 4chan-level discourse from me.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 23, 2010, 03:53:00 am »

I want some ore that I can't find. Can I mod in a reaction for, say, 1 diorite produces 100 hematite (or iron, I guess, but it's more fun with ore) and be able to do that without regenning?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 23, 2010, 03:56:42 am »

I want some ore that I can't find. Can I mod in a reaction for, say, 1 diorite produces 100 hematite (or iron, I guess, but it's more fun with ore) and be able to do that without regenning?

You are supposed to be able to mod in a new reaction by substituting an existing one you don't need, and not need to generate a world. I can't vouch for it, in that I haven't used it.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 181