Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204016 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #960 on: January 27, 2010, 02:42:55 pm »

Unless I'm missing something here, the order of picking up ingredients is irrelevant anyway. If you can't get him those gems, he's dead either way, regardless of when he's going to try to pick them up.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 27, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »

Yeah, after a gem was cut and stockpiled, she went after it and started collecting things. :)

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 27, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »

If I build a constructed floor "gangplank" off the edge of a cliff, how can i deconstruct it (sending the gangplank and anything on it plummeting ten z-stories) without putting one of my dwarves at risk of falling with it?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 27, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »

you can build another floor below it with a support between them connected to a lever, then replace the connecting tiles of the top floor to the cliff with bridge which doesn't support floor, then pull the lever from safety.

Edit: here's sort of a vertical diagram:
Code: [Select]
   FFFFFFFB..S
         I XXX
         FFXXX
           XXX
X is the cliff
F is the floors or walls
I is the support
B is the bridge
. is walkable ground
S is the switch connected to the support
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:33:09 pm by Keuran »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 27, 2010, 07:58:31 pm »

Will dwarves dump forbidden items if they're forbidden and marked to be dumped? I don't want my armor stockpile filling up with narrow leather items. :(

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 27, 2010, 08:01:03 pm »

I believe only non-forbidden to-be-dumped items are dumped. So no.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:58 pm »

Will dwarves dump forbidden items if they're forbidden and marked to be dumped? I don't want my armor stockpile filling up with narrow leather items. :(
No, but they also won't stockpile items to be dumped. So, your armor stockpile won't get filled with narrow leather items.

Also, avoiding that specific problem is why it is wise to either A) limit your armor stockpiles to accept only metal, B) have seperate stockpiles for usable and unusable stuff so you don't have to deal with specifically melt-designating specific items, or C) both. Myself, I usually build several equipment stockpiles, one accepting only usable masterwork- and artifact-quality weapons and armor (I usualy also have this one accept other masterwork metal pieces), one accepting all other metal items, and a third, binless stockpile to take unusable non-metal armor, clothing, weapons, and non-bolt ammo. This last usually gets dumped into an atom smasher or chasm once every couple/few seasons, depending on how long it takes to fill; I almost never trade away invader clothes, since it's just too exploity in my mind to have that much free wealth.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 27, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »

If I build a constructed floor "gangplank" off the edge of a cliff, how can i deconstruct it (sending the gangplank and anything on it plummeting ten z-stories) without putting one of my dwarves at risk of falling with it?

Have the noble invariably included on it do the honours.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 28, 2010, 02:00:43 am »

Question on HFS and Cave-ins
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 28, 2010, 02:32:12 am »

So I've been defending my fort numerous times from ambushes from goblins and elves and I've noticed somthing paticularly two somthings about these goblins;

They use trogg, snakemen, etc leather. Leather made from 'beastmen', can I make leather from beastmen? I had some snakemen and lizardmen in my pool but my dwarfs never made any leather from them.

I'm also noticing that there always one or two humans mixed in fighting along side the goblins; wtf? Goblins and humans are not the same animal and I don't remember pissing off any humans.

Are the humans just there due to goblin baby snatchers snatching humans?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #970 on: January 28, 2010, 03:02:25 am »

Are the humans just there due to goblin baby snatchers snatching humans?

Yes. Dwarfs will also turn up in Goblin raiding parties.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #971 on: January 28, 2010, 11:48:15 am »

Question on HFS and Cave-ins
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 28, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »

Another sparring death.

Should I just take the clownite weapons off my champions?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 28, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »

They use trogg, snakemen, etc leather. Leather made from 'beastmen', can I make leather from beastmen? I had some snakemen and lizardmen in my pool but my dwarfs never made any leather from them.

That is normal.  Dark gnome leather is common too.  It has to do with their race's ethics; the Gobbies consider it acceptable to butcher and make trophies of sapient beings.  Seeing those elf bone bracelets always makes me feel a bit warmer inside.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 28, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »

Why not make clownite armor instead, use silver/wood weapons, make a stockpile for clownite weapons in the barracks, and change when you get attacked?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 181