Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 585296 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #840 on: March 03, 2010, 01:35:59 pm »

Being a host migth be laborious task  (I mean a GOOD host) but playing a game means you have to use your brain to succeed.  You have to read as many players as you can, figure out the potentials of the setup, decide how to use your role to best of the town's benefit.  Convince others to lynch scum, or manipulate scum.  You need to be avoid being lynched if it ever comes to that.  You need to separate playstyles from alignments.  You need to decide what to do with the information you discover.  You need to think, analyze, process, double check.

Being town is not easy if you expect the game to be handed on your lap.  Winning as town requires most of the town to agree.  Mafia just needs to survive hoping the game is not broken.

Most people don't do any of these things.

Hence, the usual amount of failure.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 03, 2010, 01:40:41 pm »

Being a host migth be laborious task  (I mean a GOOD host) but playing a game means you have to use your brain to succeed.  You have to read as many players as you can, figure out the potentials of the setup, decide how to use your role to best of the town's benefit.  Convince others to lynch scum, or manipulate scum.  You need to be avoid being lynched if it ever comes to that.  You need to separate playstyles from alignments.  You need to decide what to do with the information you discover.  You need to think, analyze, process, double check.

Being town is not easy if you expect the game to be handed on your lap.  Winning as town requires most of the town to agree.  Mafia just needs to survive hoping the game is not broken.

If everyone was me, we'd ALWAYS win!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 03, 2010, 01:42:13 pm »

If we're going to do this right I'll want one more thing from everyone: an example of a game that you consider the type of game you like currently.

Glarghle!  The problem with this is that I like specific games, not particular types (I'm not crazy about most bastard mods; just certain ones).  It's kind of like how I approach novels.  So, a list of my Favorite Games of All Time:

Near-Mountainous
Rysith's Semi-Bastard
IMBML(BM(M))
Bellsounder
Horrible Role Mafia
KWN
Don't Outguess the Mod Series
KWN: DE (strongly disliked the mechanic in general, but the flavor stuff was fun)

I know there's a lot of bastard mods on there, so maybe I do just like bastard mods.   :-[  Too bad I seem to be the only one.

EDIT: Now it's almost all bastard mods.  My problem is that I can think back and remember so many games I enjoyed that this list is pretty much pointless.  Hell, I liked MSPA, as well.

Okay, here's the general rule:  I like any game that is won more on cleverness than on power role abuse.  Give me a game that strongly encourages cleverness, and I will play it.  Other games are kind of boring, nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:56:13 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 03, 2010, 01:43:14 pm »

No ur not.

I like em two.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 03, 2010, 01:44:32 pm »

But you'd also ALWAYS LOSE!
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 03, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »

It balances out in the end.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #846 on: March 03, 2010, 01:50:21 pm »

But it would'nt be MY fault! ... wait... yes it would  :P

mmm maybe I can just say that the setup was broken...
Nope... I win (town) much more than I lose (scum) because there's more me (town) than me (scum)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 03, 2010, 01:58:36 pm »

If we're going to do this right I'll want one more thing from everyone: an example of a game that you consider the type of game you like currently.
Toon Mafia   ;D

I would totally play my game.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 03, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »

Toon Mafia   ;D

I would totally play my game.

Dude, I will be all over that.  Soon.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 03, 2010, 04:16:47 pm »

Uhhh...Boot Camp.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 03, 2010, 04:17:18 pm »

Or Paranormal...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 03, 2010, 04:28:08 pm »

Nope... I win (town) much more than I lose (scum) because there's more me (town) than me (scum)

I'd clearly get better than myself, so scum me would know what town me was looking for, and I would be impossible to find, other than through power roles.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 03, 2010, 04:32:54 pm »

I'd clearly get better than myself, so scum me would know what town me was looking for, and I would be impossible to find, other than through power roles.

But by law you must die on the first day or first night. So you'd just constantly draw due to everyone being dead.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 03, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »

And can you imagine playing KWN with yourself? The WIFOM would be unbearable.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 03, 2010, 04:52:09 pm »

Bay 12 Mafia too would probably be quite role heavy, although not bastard.  I can guarentee no confirmed townies, at aleast.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 443