Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587149 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #2670 on: April 12, 2011, 02:00:57 am »

@Joshua: that would actually not work very well at 2 people - some sets have two jokers  ;), if not it's way too easy for the mafia.
however, I support this with 3 players.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 12, 2011, 06:03:45 am »

I must have explained my idea poorly, since these issues aren't really issues. Allow me to try to clear up the misunderstanding.

Hmm, I don't like the idea of taking turns, a single lurker could mess the whole game up, but what the hell do I know, I'm new :P.

It's not really possible to lurk. I probably should have mentioned that I intended for this to be a real-life mini-version of mafia, intended for small groups of friends.

So it's not possible to lurk, since your opponent would be sitting right across the table from you.

@Joshua: that would actually not work very well at 2 people - some sets have two jokers  ;), if not it's way too easy for the mafia.
however, I support this with 3 players.

Just a 52 card deck with a joker. Any extra jokers can be removed beforehand. The style of game is meant to be a battle of wits and deception between the two players, since it's not only possible to win by being randomly dealt the joker and deceiving your opponent into thinking you're town, but it's also possible to win by being town, and tricking your opponent into thinking you're mafia.

In other words, it's very different from standard in that there's no night or day phases, no role actions, no moderator, and the game is turn-based.

Although I suppose the rules can be easily modified to include more players, the style of game, I feel, is best with only 2.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: April 12, 2011, 06:05:32 am »

You you have both the mafia and jester wincon? Interesting.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:16 am »

You you have both the mafia and jester wincon? Interesting.
this.
me like. I must try this sometime.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28:22 am »

I've had an idea, a variation of mafia that would allow two people to play 1v1:

The variation I have in mind requires only a 52 card deck of playing cards, plus a joker.

The deck is shuffled so that the order of cards is random. Then through whatever mechanism, one of the players is chosen to 'interrogate and decide' first.

On game start, each player is dealt one card. Each player then looks at their card, without revealing it to the other, and then the first round begins.

(All cards, 1-10, Jack, queen, king, and ace, are all town. The joker signifies mafia.)

The player whose turn is first is allowed to ask the opposite player any questions, and observe his/her body language before making a decision of either "Town" or "Mafia".

If a player chooses "Town", then the turn passes to the other player. If he chooses "Mafia", then he flips the other player's card, and if it's town, then the guessing player loses. If it's the joker, then he wins.

If both players choose town, then both players reveal their cards. If a player was called 'town' when he/she was in fact holding the joker, then that player wins.

If both players are holding town cards, then those two cards are placed into a discard pile, and the next round begins, where each player is dealt another card, where the process then repeats until a winner is decided.

What do you guys think?
The game breaker is simply not looking at your card. Chances will be you're Town, so if you draw the Joker and don't look at it, you'll assume you're Town.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: April 12, 2011, 07:29:31 am »

That could be easily circumvented by forcing the players to look. By rubbing it in their face if you must.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 12, 2011, 08:13:12 am »

That could be easily circumvented by forcing the players to look. By rubbing it in their face if you must.
or by adding another player  :D
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:18 am »

The problem I see with WA's gamebreaker, is that you're leaving the game up to chance. By not looking at your card, you might win 50% of the time, seeing as how you'll only win if you get the joker, a chance shared equally by both players. So you'll only break even, at best.

Odds are though, you'll actually win a lot less often than that against a player that IS looking at their card. This is because they can jerk you around with their questions, give fake scum tells, and taunt you into calling mafia when they're actually town.

I suppose that if neither player is looking at their card, then the game is completely up to chance.

I've thought of a name for my game though: Jokers and Jesters;

Where every card is a jester except one, the joker. Make your opponent guess wrong.

It has a nice ring to it, I think.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 12, 2011, 08:17:04 am »

The problem I see with WA's gamebreaker, is that you're leaving the game up to chance. By not looking at your card, you might win 50% of the time, seeing as how you'll only win if you get the joker, a chance shared equally by both players. So you'll only break even, at best.

Odds are though, you'll actually win a lot less often than that against a player that IS looking at their card. This is because they can jerk you around with their questions, give fake scum tells, and taunt you into calling mafia when they're actually town.

I suppose that if neither player is looking at their card, then the game is completely up to chance.

I've thought of a name for my game though: Jokers and Jesters;

Where every card is a jester except one, the joker. Make your opponent guess wrong.

It has a nice ring to it, I think.
sounds great!
a variant is where the royalty are yet another group of "survivors"  :D
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: April 12, 2011, 08:59:04 am »

The game breaker is simply not looking at your card. Chances will be you're Town, so if you draw the Joker and don't look at it, you'll assume you're Town.
Same with regular mafia.  It's actually a reason why you'd usually want to introduce some roles (like maybe a cop) to prevent this.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 12, 2011, 09:39:41 am »

I guess no one wants cake :c
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42:14 am »

Cake is pretty much a taboo with me around. I guess they're too scared of me.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 12, 2011, 09:45:42 am »

I guess no one wants cake :c
if there's cheese involved...
Cake is pretty much a taboo with me around. I guess they're too scared of me.
*both selves chuck darvi into the winery*
bettar nao?
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:43 am »

Wait, cheesecake? That's awesome :3

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 12, 2011, 12:32:13 pm »

I think not knowing your own alignment has little to no effect on your ability to guess another player's unless there are significantly fewer cards.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 443