Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587089 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List [Vote for games now!]
« Reply #5895 on: January 07, 2021, 08:09:41 pm »

I probably will not be ready to host my vanilla mafia, for the better part of a month. Atleast not for a few weeks.
I'll probably run Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 first, then (unless BYOR 15 lasts a loooooot longer).
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: January 10, 2021, 06:43:03 pm »

How do people feel about putting the next big game into signups?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: January 10, 2021, 07:16:22 pm »

I can see the reasoning behind it. I'd like to run Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 anyhow - if there's enough interest in a game of that sort. If there's support for that, I'll go ahead and put it up, since roseheart says they aren't ready for their own game.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: January 10, 2021, 07:17:32 pm »

Yeah, BYOR is kinda winding down. Let's wait for others' input before we hammer SIGNUPs though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: January 10, 2021, 08:07:14 pm »

Yeah, throw a new game into sign-ups. BYOR 15 will be ending within a week or two at the latest.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: January 11, 2021, 09:59:16 am »

Unless anyone has any objections I'll put Vengeful 13 into signups, to tide people over until the next big game runs.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: January 11, 2021, 10:27:05 am »

Unless anyone has any objections I'll put Vengeful 13 into signups, to tide people over until the next big game runs.
I use my power to veto objections. Do it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: January 11, 2021, 10:45:51 am »

I use my power to veto objections. Do it.
Well I suppose.

Vengeful 13 is now in signups.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: January 11, 2021, 10:46:36 am »

Newbie Game is active.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: January 12, 2021, 09:03:25 pm »

vanilla mafia >:V

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: January 12, 2021, 09:18:09 pm »

Any objections to me making Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 the next 'big' game? I definitely don't expect to get as many players as BYOR 15 did, since I'm not an infamous super-skilled game mod like Wuba-sensei is, but it's been a while since my last game run, I've grown a lot, and I think I can handle making a game that's good for both new players and veterans.
Generic Arms Race.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: January 12, 2021, 09:23:14 pm »

Any objections to me making Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 the next 'big' game? I definitely don't expect to get as many players as BYOR 15 did, since I'm not an infamous super-skilled game mod like Wuba-sensei is, but it's been a while since my last game run, I've grown a lot, and I think I can handle making a game that's good for both new players and veterans.
You only get skilled and infamous by trying. I'd join it.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: January 12, 2021, 09:28:59 pm »

Game design philosophy wise? I spent a lot of time looking at my old 'FBYOR' games recently. There were four of them. Funnily enough, I'd say that they got worse as I moved closer towards the present. Because I got more ambitious. I was trying to be more like you, heh. But there's something to be said for simplicity and elegance. I hope one day to be able to pull off a chaotic mad BYOR with weird fancy powers without having it crash. But getting more practice via simpler setups sounds like a good idea first. I'll put Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 up now.
Generic Arms Race.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: January 12, 2021, 09:40:33 pm »

Just focus on being yourself and doing what you can do. I don't try to play like Webadict (or dakarian, or ...). We don't need 10 duplicate Webadicts to run games, we need Webadict and 9 other distinct people who all talk to and learn from each other.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: January 12, 2021, 09:45:23 pm »

Hah! Don't worry. Take each failure in stride and use it to make future games better. I've failed a bunch of times. I've even broken a game so hard that I stopped running it. BYOR 15 was so broken that I had a headache every Day, especially because I screwed up multiple times!

I think the best move you can make in balancing a game is to start small and work outward. Every change you make affects every previous change, as well, so you need to always go back and consider what happens with each piece that is added or removed. It's a lot like DMing, and if you ever run a tabletop game, that's almost like practice in itself.

If you want ideas, the best thing I can recommend is to steal ones you like. You can always tweak them to fit what you're feeling, but you never have to come up with one that is new. I think a lot of my favorite mechanics in a game come from ideas I've seen in other games that I loved.

Focus on the things in Mafia that you love the most, and make them cool in your own way. The hard part is limiting yourself to what you can comfortably accomplish, but you learn that by hitting your limits.

Just focus on being yourself and doing what you can do. I don't try to play like Webadict (or dakarian, or ...). We don't need 10 duplicate Webadicts to run games, we need Webadict and 9 other distinct people who all talk to and learn from each other.
This is also good advice.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 443