Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Proof of Concept: DF Text Mode (works over SSH!)  (Read 25581 times)

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proof of Concept: DF Text Mode (works over SSH!)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 08:13:48 pm »

Uh-oh, connection keeps timing out. Did you take the game offline, FeepingCreature, or is it just slow?
EDIT:Above seems to have fixed itself.
By the way, somebody really needs to start a succession game using this system. I unfortunately don't have the knowledge to set this up; FeepingCreature's instructions go way over my head. With the ability to just log in and out, and without the possibility of two people playing at the same time, some really interesting things could happen really quickly (a la Sparkgear).
Is there a good explanation on the web of what you're using so that the layman in this field could set up a game (sounds like FeepingCreature is using Linux - is this even possible in Windows)?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:16:50 pm by jarathor »

FeepingCreature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 04:44:08 pm »

The ASCII modifications use Ansi Escape codes; as such they don't even run under Windows. Might be portable; I'm not sure, but several other components that would be very hard to provide on windows (specifically, screen with access control). So, getting this to work on a Windows server is very unlikely. It'd probably end up faster to set up Linux (and the game scripts) in a VM and forward port 22.

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 11:47:25 am »

Anyone can guess what is it? :)

It's shame that putty doesn't use 256x256 bmp file for its font, so I've created one from unshaded version of my tileset (as I'm still not quite sure how those outline fonts works to be able to create version with shading). It looks excatly the same as DF client now... minus few different colors as I made some mistakes rewriting 'em from natural scheme chart to putty settings, hehe.

P.S. I found same snapshot of my (lame) fortress which i used for tileset screenshot :D

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2009, 02:42:54 pm »

Long overdue. Now if only there were a way to have the game not pause on certain messages like it does, I could have a perpetually running fort I could administer from anywhere.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2009, 12:44:16 am »

This is awesome! All ASCII games should run on telnet!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2009, 12:54:27 am »

This is awesome! All ASCII games should run on telnet!
Your wish is half granted with this.  Unless of course you don't actually mean Telnet, since Telnet doesn't define any standard protocols. And the VT100 ANSI it uses to support the default Windows Telnet is crappy.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2009, 08:06:00 pm »

This is nice. :)

I'm afraid I don't have time to chop it into shape for DF now, though. Could be.. I don't know, two-three months?

But I'll definitely cook up something ncurses-like, eventually.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2009, 04:47:43 am »

That would be great to have ncurses display mode in DF not as dirty hack, but legit option to choose from.

Baughn, so will you keep working on your graphics lib after Toady release next "stable" DF version?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2009, 07:41:11 am »

I can't very well stop. Oh, I might run out of things to do, but I need to stay on the same planet in case Toady runs into some kind of problem with it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2009, 11:00:53 am »

...☼

Idea! DF gets PP for free (cheaper than now!) by integrating further into changed-tiles and using terminal-out, rather like Nethack!

...☼
Doesn't work! DF must scroll, Nethack does not!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

FeepingCreature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 12:11:34 pm »

We had a server crash. I'm very sorry! Server's back up now - I hope not too much was lost.

I've switched seasonal autosaves on now - hope it doesn't happen again anyway.

[edit] It happened again. I've disabled overclocking on the server - if it reoccurs, I'm gonna downgrade the kernel. Or upgrade, not sure yet.

[edit2] I just noticed there was some issue with screen. It's resolved now, not that anyone cares at this point. :p
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:03:08 am by FeepingCreature »

epdtry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:35 am »

Can you please repost the patches?  I wanted to try this, but pastebin says all the posts have expired. :(

FeepingCreature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 08:52:55 am »

Very sorry for the immense delay. Reposted the patches to my server thingy. (See first post)

the.wired

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 12:14:19 pm »

this is a very cool concept, have played nethack on the public server (everyone who logs in get their own nethack session) for last 4 or 5 years. this for df would be even better; though i can imagine the server requirement being rather high.

combine this with the DF Map Archive and could view semi live snapshots of a fortress in progress.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 07:41:10 pm »

Very sorry for the immense delay. Reposted the patches to my server thingy. (See first post)
Why not post it to DFFD?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5