Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Saves/Fortresses  (Read 6263 times)

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Saves/Fortresses
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:55:44 pm »

Is it possible for me to create multiple saves (in case I want to go back and say, buy spider silk last year before a dwarf I've been training up goes insane), or make multiple fortresses before my first one is annihlated?  For that matter, at what point does the game consider me to have 'lost'?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Saves/Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:25:16 pm »

You can copy a save folder (aka world folder) in /data/save, or you can just turn on the autobackup feature in /data/init/init.txt

You can make multiple fortresses by way of having multiple worlds, but you can't have more than one fortress per world.

You lose when all dwarves are dead.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:29:06 pm »

When all my dwarves die, can I make a second fortress in the same world, or even return to my previous fortress with a new batch of dwarves?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »

When all my dwarves die, can I make a second fortress in the same world, or even return to my previous fortress with a new batch of dwarves?

1. yep, can make any number of fortresses... well not any number as you may fill up all useable tiles on the map... thatld be extreamly unlikely though...

2. Yep, its called reclaiming.
You reclaim the site with military dwarves depending on what wealth was acheived at the fort.
You can choose a military skill and an economical skill for those reclaiming dwarves, but cant increase or decrease the level of that skill (as far as i know...)
but otherwise basically works like a normal embark except your going back to that fort...
Also its best to forbid ALL items before you last dwarf dies as any item that has been tasked will be unmoveable when reclaimed... (unless you channel the ground under it..._)
also youll be unable to build magma buildings...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:51:22 am »

It's up to you to choose how you play, just remember, losing is fun.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:18:58 am »

Is there a fast way to forbid everything in the fortress?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:37:13 am »

d-b-f

then enter on one corner of the map to the other corner.
and do that for each level.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!