Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1596432 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Broseph, you would look simply magnifique in a dress.
« Reply #3810 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »

AGH! The light! There's more bloom in that pic than in Oblivion!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 05, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »

and I'm pretty sure that pattern only occurs in females.
i've heard that before, that only female have tricolored coats... i was never sure i should believe that...

If I recall, it's a genetics thing called Mosaicism; it's got something to do with having 2 X Chromosomes, with sex-linked traits (in this case, coloration). Non-reproductive cells only have/express 1 sex chromosome per cell, so if there are 2 different sex-linked color traits present in one pair of X chromosomes, cells can only receive one or the other. I'd hypothesize that patches of the color occur when a cell with a given X Chromosome splits, copying its genetics into new tissues, eventually becoming a patch of tissue with the same genetic makeup.

I want to say it's the same thing that allows females to have 2 eye colors, eyes with flecks of different colors, and a more complex spectrum of hair colors.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:24:56 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 05, 2011, 08:27:25 pm »

Yes, that's correct.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3813 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:18 pm »

I want to say it's the same thing that allows females to have 2 eye colors, eyes with flecks of different colors, and a more complex spectrum of hair colors.

I've met more males than females with two eye colours, and heard of more as well, David Bowie springs to mind, and especially this czech or polish boy I took care of when I worked at a kindergarten.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:28 pm »

I believe Bowie actually has an eye injury, not heterochromia... but either way, I'd mentally combined Mosaicism with X Inactivation... it's been about 9 years since I studied genetics, so I'm a bit rusty. Females are genetic mosaics because of X Inactivation, but Mosaicism can happen in other ways as well. X Inactivation only affects sex-linked traits too, and I don't believe eye color is Sex-Linked.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 05, 2011, 08:40:57 pm »

Yeah.  The cats are mosaicism.  I can't remember about heterochromia, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3816 on: August 05, 2011, 08:41:13 pm »

I believe Bowie actually has an eye injury, not heterochromia... but either way, I'd mentally combined Mosaicism with X Inactivation... it's been about 9 years since I studied genetics, so I'm a bit rusty. Females are genetic mosaics because of X Inactivation, but Mosaicism can happen in other ways as well. X Inactivation only affects sex-linked traits too, and I don't believe eye color is Sex-Linked.

Well personally I know nothing about it, just stroke me as odd since I have met 3 males with it personally and no females.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 05, 2011, 09:35:38 pm »

and I'm pretty sure that pattern only occurs in females.
i've heard that before, that only female have tricolored coats... i was never sure i should believe that...

If I recall, it's a genetics thing called Mosaicism; it's got something to do with having 2 X Chromosomes, with sex-linked traits (in this case, coloration). Non-reproductive cells only have/express 1 sex chromosome per cell, so if there are 2 different sex-linked color traits present in one pair of X chromosomes, cells can only receive one or the other. I'd hypothesize that patches of the color occur when a cell with a given X Chromosome splits, copying its genetics into new tissues, eventually becoming a patch of tissue with the same genetic makeup.

eh, that sounds complicated, so i'll buy it. one thing though, when you say females you mean women, female cats or female animals in general?

AGH! The light! There's more bloom in that pic than in Oblivion!
blame it on the shitty webcam, an inconveniently placed window, an unbearably sunny day, and an incompetent photographer struggling to keep a grumpy kitten staring at the camera while avoiding being clawed to death.
i cropped the part that showed me sleeping half naked in the background, the lighting on my bare buttocks was perfect

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 06, 2011, 12:24:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyone happen to know what breed of cat this is?

She's some variety of tortoiseshell long-hair, and I'm pretty sure that pattern only occurs in females. Odds are she's a mutt, but she may be a Ragamuffin or Maine Coon mix. Of note, the tortiseshell fur pattern is said to bring good fortune and wealth to its house, so keep her around!

Thanks :D, I've got to say I'm glad she is good luck, I need as much as I can get nowadays lol. She does look similar to a Maine Coon but slightly off, I'm probably just going to go with mutt for now. I've noticed she is a unusually nice cat, she pretty much refuses to use her claws when on people. Its kinda funny because this usually results in her slowly sliding of your lap lol. I haven't seen hardly any aggressive behavior from her either. The Siamese cats I've had as pets have always had no issues clawing people. I've had them run up my leg and onto my waist/back before lmao.
My personality profile.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 07, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »

Just posting here to say my sis is the best sis ever and this is a great birthday present.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 07, 2011, 03:47:13 pm »

Just posting here to say my sis is the best sis ever and this is a great birthday present.
BRO IS ALWAYS BRO

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 07, 2011, 03:49:29 pm »

My brother has the same shirt. He's also 13. That makes me even cooler.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 07, 2011, 03:53:10 pm »

My brother has the same shirt. He's also 13. That makes me even cooler.
Yeah, you're totally not trying to one-up Duke here.  Shut it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 07, 2011, 03:57:59 pm »

Nononono, that isnt even ironic what are you trying to do dunkass.

I don't even think my older brother would go for Kamina shades anyway.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 07, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »

My brother's too lame to be a Dave anyway.

His other shirt, on the other hand, fits perfectly.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 987