Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1593391 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Play nice while I'm out being nice, okay?
« Reply #12480 on: June 18, 2015, 10:39:02 am »

It's a bayonet, yeah. No idea what rifle it's for, though. Like I said, it was gonna be scrapped in some place or other, so...
Are there any stamps on the blade or the handle, perhaps? If there are any, then we can probably identify the factory that produced it or the force that it was supposed to be issued to.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: June 18, 2015, 10:39:59 am »

It's a bayonet, yeah. No idea what rifle it's for, though. Like I said, it was gonna be scrapped in some place or other, so...

Assuming it's US, it is probably from Springfield 1903, standard-issue rifle in WWI era American army. At least the other bayonets of the same era rifles I'm familiar with and they are nothing like the one we have on photo.
Then again, it was taken on a potato, so I may be mistaken.

EDIT: Considering it's Ireland, could be anything. Batches of Mauser k98, Mosin-Nagants and Lee-Enfields were present there back at the time. And if the rifle was commercially purchased, I refuse to follow the case without more photos.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:43:56 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: June 18, 2015, 10:47:27 am »

Poland, actually.
And there's a stamp, but I can't read it. It's in Russian, best as I can tell, or at least uses the alphabet.
I'll provide photos when my potato has a big enough charge to not turn off after five seconds.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: June 18, 2015, 10:51:26 am »

That would be interesting. I haven't seen anything like this. A lot of Mosin-Nagants sported a pike-like bayonet, this might be the knife-like bayonet. I read about those, never saw them though.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: June 18, 2015, 10:51:55 am »

Poland, actually.
And there's a stamp, but I can't read it. It's in Russian, best as I can tell, or at least uses the alphabet.
I'll provide photos when my potato has a big enough charge to not turn off after five seconds.
Can you take a photo?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12485 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:30 am »

П Р Е Д У З Е  Ъ Е
I think that's it, anyway. Goes in a little semicircle, and at the bottom there's something like a 44...
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: June 18, 2015, 11:02:10 am »

That would be interesting. I haven't seen anything like this. A lot of Mosin-Nagants sported a pike-like bayonet, this might be the knife-like bayonet. I read about those, never saw them though.

Yeah, my mosin has a built-on spike bayonet.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: June 18, 2015, 11:10:41 am »

П Р Е Д У З Е  Ъ Е
I think that's it, anyway. Goes in a little semicircle, and at the bottom there's something like a 44...
That's not Russian, but a little googling reveals that it's Serbo-Croatian. The word "Preduzece" (There's supposed to be an accent on the last "c" and in Cyrillic, there's a letter I can't type right now instead of an Ъ) means something like "Business" or "Business organization" - so it all means something close to "Plant 44". So that's probably Yugoslavian, but I can't tell anything more from that.

E: No, wait, I found it! It's a model 1924 Yugoslavian bayonet designed to fit the Czech version of the Mauser K98.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:13:17 am by Avis-Mergulus »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:56 am »

Hm. Gonna put up photos anyway, since I might be reading it wrong or something, but thanks.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: June 18, 2015, 11:13:56 am »

Hm. Gonna put up photos anyway, since I might be reading it wrong or something, but thanks.
I found it, was too late to make the edit. Check out my previous post.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: June 18, 2015, 11:16:48 am »

That looks about the same. This one is a little rusty, but other than that...
Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate it.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: June 18, 2015, 11:18:00 am »

Neato. That's a rare thing you got there.
Sigs

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: June 18, 2015, 11:21:01 am »

My pleasure. This little game of detective actually helped me clear my head a bit from a paper I've been writing all day now.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12493 on: June 18, 2015, 11:24:02 am »

Well, I was doing my own research (read - throw a "Preduzece 44 bayonet" in search engine, pick the first hit) and was just about to post here when I saw Avis-Mergulus already beat me to it. My results are a bit different though.

edit:
Actually, here's some more. Judging from pictures,  m1924 is much longer which kinda makes sense given that time practice was to make bayonets that could double as a poke-that-guy-on-the-other-side-of-the-river devices. Still though, I'm not expert, could be my sources are completely wrong!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:30:28 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: June 18, 2015, 11:26:44 am »

My pleasure. This little game of detective actually helped me clear my head a bit from a paper I've been writing all day now.
Seriously, though. Thanks.
Well, I was doing my own research (read - throw a "Preduzece 44 bayonet" in search engine, pick the first hit) and was just about to post here when I saw Avis-Mergulus already beat me to it. My results are a bit different though.
That's fairly interesting, actually. Thanks for that, too.
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 987