Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help me save this Baby!  (Read 2120 times)

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Help me save this Baby!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 02:43:58 pm »

You can find a version of DC that doesn't need Python or anything like that. It's on the Wiki page.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »

A non-DC option may be a dwarven 'amputation'- where if you remove (or perhaps add, but I'm not sure if anyone tested that) a body part from a creature in the raws and restart the game all of that creature will be fully healed, whereby you can just readd the body part again. I've not tested it myself, but I remember reading about it on the forums and it's healing ability sounds like just what you want.

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

ok first of all thanks to everyone for all their help. hopefully this should be the last question. I tried following the wiki and searching the forum, but i find the forum very difficult to search so ive only been using the wiki. on the wiki, it says i should download:

Python (should work with any version)
from this page, the latest "Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment Installer" (the files that is named like that : gtk-2.12.9-win32-2.exe, scroll down a bit).
For users of the -any versions, or python 2.4 users, you must:
Install the three modules from this page (PyCairo, PyGObject, PyGTK)
Grab the software, v0.17d, at this place.
Reboot your computer. Although the software doesn't demand it, if you don't do so Python won't know where to find modules, leading to errors.
Double click on "dfcompanion_prototype.py"!

ok so i downloaded the latest versions of Python and hopefully Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment Installer but not 100% certain on that, and then for the 3 modules, i find this huge directory with no clear system but download what i think are the most recent of those. however they wont install once i download... does anyone know how to fix this?
I'm sorry i know this must be a massive pain to answer these Noob questions... but i really want to save this baby.

Just use the executable version at http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Bartavelle/DwarfCompanion it's in the section entitled "Self-packaged executables".

To use it:
  • Extract Dwarf Companion to a folder
  • Start Dwarf Fortress
  • Load your save file
  • Enter the folder from 1 and double click dfcompanion_prototype.exe
  • First a block console window will open, then after a short delay the main window should open

Don't miss out step 3 or Dwarf Companion will automatically close.

This way is a lot easier as you don't have to mess about installing python and dependencies.

Hope that helps.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »

Dwarf Companion (DC) will work with 40d but non of the OpenGL/SDL builds like 40d16.
What?

Companion 0.17d works just fine with d16.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 06:11:00 am »

Oh man I can't believe i missed that!
ok i'll try it out right now!
downloading version 0.17c now!

EDIT: A SHORT TIME LATER....
nope didnt work.... do i need an older version of df? i'm using the most current version now. (semptember 2008)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:48:17 am by Mr.Dwarf »
If we're going to include modded creatures, skeletal crossbowwhales.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 03:41:51 pm »

The newest version of Dwarf Companion works on 40D16.
If you hunt around the thread, somebody packed it into an executable file, so if you can't get python working, try that.

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »

i'm using v0.28.181.40d
i used the exe download that gumball pointed out on the wiki and am using dwarf companion v0.17
what am i doing wrong?

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 12:29:05 am »

You could build a channel under the cliff and put water in it.But it may drown so put ramps in the channel.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 04:47:17 am »

Could you not simply change the dwarves file so that they grow up incredibly quick, remove their ability to move around / reduce speed if the child getting to a cliff is a problem until it has grown up.

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 06:59:59 am »

Hey i did the amputation trick and that worked. shame i couldnt get companion running. Oh well. Thanks to everyone that helped. I havent caught the baby yet but now i can heal him it shouldnt be too bad. thanks everyone!

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 12:11:32 pm »

good lord. so he's trapped in the cage, and now grown to child. I want to get him out the cage. i try building the cage and deconstructing it. nothing. I try building it and unassigning him from the cage, nothing. i tried dumping the cage, nothing. what usually works?

Edit: nevermind he got out somehow. thanks again everyone.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:16:17 pm by Mr.Dwarf »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 03:40:42 am »

Hey i did the amputation trick and that worked. shame i couldnt get companion running. Oh well. Thanks to everyone that helped. I havent caught the baby yet but now i can heal him it shouldnt be too bad. thanks everyone!

I found that if you're on Vista, you can run DFC by using Run as Admin.

... Am I late?  :-[
Pages: 1 [2]