Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help me save this Baby!  (Read 2121 times)

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me save this Baby!
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:29:58 am »

Hey guys
I know this isn't up your usual alley, but i'd really appreciate the help.

With my forts i always make a big deal over the first baby born in the fort. I give them the profession name Firstborn and generally see to it they get interesting tasks when they grow up. In my most recent fort, my first baby was born to my first Mood having dwarf ( Posession ) and when she discovered a goblin baby snatcher she killed it but died of it's wounds. I knew i had to put the baby in the millitary when it grows up, but before i could figure out how to keep it safe it plunged off a cliff. I checked it's status and its not depressed or stark raving mad, just "fine". I found out babies wander off cliffs without mothers, and if it makes it to child, it will stop jumping. so i am in the process of setting up cage traps to catch the baby when it passes out, but it might jump off the cliff a couple more times.... I need the baby to be able to survive the fall, and possibly heal regenerativeally... Can you help me?

TL,DNR: I need a wounded baby to survive a possible 2 Z level drop, and if possible heal regenerativeally?
thanks in advance for your help
If we're going to include modded creatures, skeletal crossbowwhales.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Help me save this Baby!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:40:00 am »

You could try walling it in somewhere and releasing it when the traps are ready.

Not a modding suggestion, I know.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:52 am »

I've experienced that increasing a creatures size increases their healing ability.
Like, once I made my dwarves size 1000 just for the sake of it and they would heal of yellow and red wounds  before they reached the nearest bed.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:03:25 am »

thanks very much man i'll try that out

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:46:52 am »

Ok nope didn't really work. Any other ideas? does Dwarf Companion work with the current version?

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 06:37:11 am »

Dwarf Companion (DC) will work with 40d but non of the OpenGL/SDL builds like 40d16.

You can copy the save from the data/save folder of 40d16 to that in 40d and then run DC. Once you've done what you need to do you just copy the save back.

You'll need to make sure that 40d has the same mods etc as 40d16. It's also a good idea to make a copy of the save before tinkering with DC, just in case DC corrupts your save.

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:46:47 am »

Ok Thanks just one more question...

"one black window flashes and nothing happens!

You should run it from the command line. Start / run / cmd.exe. Then type"

Thats from the wiki on how to run Dwarf Companion. the only thing is i don't know how to run the command line. what do i press to open the command line so i can type start/run/cmd.exe.  ?

EDIT: for grammar
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:20:11 am by Mr.Dwarf »

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:27:07 pm »

If you're using Windows XP, it should be in the main part of the Start Menu, labelled "Run.."
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »

nope windows 7
and i  cant find anything labelled run anywhere

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:27 pm »

Try using the task manager. It should have a button labelled "run" or "new task" or "create task" or something.

ps: In Vista, it's "New Task".
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:47:25 pm »

In my most recent fort, my first baby was born to my first Mood having dwarf ( Possession ) and when she discovered a goblin baby snatcher she killed it but died of it's wounds. I knew i had to put the baby in the military when it grows up, but before i could figure out how to keep it safe it plunged off a cliff. I checked it's status and its not depressed or stark raving mad, just "fine". I found out babies wander off cliffs without mothers, and if it makes it to child, it will stop jumping. so i am in the process of setting up cage traps to catch the baby when it passes out, but it might jump off the cliff a couple more times.... I need the baby to be able to survive the fall, and possibly heal regenerativeally... Can you help me?
That's about the funniest damn thing I've read all week! Bravo, sir, for your sadistic method of psycho-infant management.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 12:13:29 am »

In 7, you can just type "cmd" into the "search programs and files" field in the start-menu. After a moment, "cmd.exe" should show up, and you'll be in business.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

^
What he said. The command line parser is a wonderful thing.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 12:41:44 am »

thanks very much for the help. and hopefully together we can save this baby!

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 01:20:47 am »

ok first of all thanks to everyone for all their help. hopefully this should be the last question. I tried following the wiki and searching the forum, but i find the forum very difficult to search so ive only been using the wiki. on the wiki, it says i should download:

Python (should work with any version)
from this page, the latest "Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment Installer" (the files that is named like that : gtk-2.12.9-win32-2.exe, scroll down a bit).
For users of the -any versions, or python 2.4 users, you must:
Install the three modules from this page (PyCairo, PyGObject, PyGTK)
Grab the software, v0.17d, at this place.
Reboot your computer. Although the software doesn't demand it, if you don't do so Python won't know where to find modules, leading to errors.
Double click on "dfcompanion_prototype.py"!

ok so i downloaded the latest versions of Python and hopefully Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment Installer but not 100% certain on that, and then for the 3 modules, i find this huge directory with no clear system but download what i think are the most recent of those. however they wont install once i download... does anyone know how to fix this?
I'm sorry i know this must be a massive pain to answer these Noob questions... but i really want to save this baby.
Pages: [1] 2