Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just a rambling idea...  (Read 604 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just a rambling idea...
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:52:45 pm »

The few of you who've been keeping up with my LP of Europa Universalis 3 probably realize I'm a big fan of Paradox interactive. The games are absolute glorious breaths of fresh air from the smog of the mediocrity of modern gaming.

I do feel that there are certian things lacking, things I would do differently. For example, the world is carved up in exactly the same way at the start of the game, and the world is exactly the same world. If I were to make a big dramatic change to say, Crusader Kings, I would introduce concepts found in Dwarf Fortress just to start with. Procedural generation of the game world, procedural generation of family lines and characters, procedural generation of cultures, and lastly procedural generation of religions, and finally procedural division of the game world into individual territories.

It would not need to be anywhere near as deep as Dwarf Fortress, of course, though the more I think about it, the more I think that this idea could in fact be a part of the finished Dwarf Fortress… Anyway, it wouldn't need to keep track of more than a character's general appearances and a few statistics relevant to leadership abilities and their overall status.

By necessity of random generation, certain things would have to be very different. Events would have to be extremely generalized to apply to a virtually limitless number of possible scenarios. There could never be events that trigger to the same country at the same time every game. While most of the events in Crusader Kings, as an example, are this way, they are also narrow in scope due to the nature of the game. It is Crusader Kings after all; you never get the chance to play anything other than a christian monarchy without hacking the game, and thus the range of events is necessarily limited to the confines of this government type.

For example, while it is important in a Monarchy to groom your heir to be prepared for leadership, one of the principle focuses of Crusader Kings, that cannot be the focus of a Republic. In addition, several of the things like keeping track of piety and how much you give to the Church may not be as important, or even relevant at all for leaders, in a given cultural or religious group.

I need to think on this idea further. Expand on it, explore the feasibility. taking things one step at a time, the first step is probably to tackle the generation and division of the map and rendering it, which for me will probably be the second most difficult thing after the GUI. Never been good at graphics, but I can shuffle numbers around like an IRS agent.
!!&!!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Just a rambling idea...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:38:56 pm »

Sounds interesting. By the last paragraph, it looks like you'll attempt to program this game? Do you know what language you'll be using? Are you familiar with the language? Is this to be 3D or 2D or ASCII (or other? o,0)? Will this be a solo project or will you request volunteers (artists mainly) when you've developed a good chunk of the game? What does the player do? What are all of your goals in making this game (features, etc.; like the dev info for DF)? Would it possibly be easier to make a mod for another game instead of starting from scratch?

Having a game idea is easy. Actually making it "come to life" is a rare thing indeed. However, I love games with procedural generation, especially when it comes to things that effect gameplay, instead of only using procedural generation on the map, so I'm interested in this. But similar to something you said, you might just be making what DF will be after Version 1.0.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just a rambling idea...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:35:45 am »

You'd have to have played Crusader Kings pretty specifically to understand what I want the game play to be like. As for the graphics, something I can't really do well, I'd probably start off ascii, looking reminiscent of Battle Champs, so since Toady opened the source code for that throw away game, it may be possible strip out it's rendering engine for my own designs. As for programming language, not sure. C++ seems the obvious route, but I'd use either Ruby or Python as scripting languages for handle events.

I really can only explain the game play details I have in my head in an abstract way, so I'm not going to bother until I've given it more thought and put it on paper. Or .txt file. Whatever.
!!&!!