frustrated at having wasted a hint
- 16 (30.2%)
proud of being smarter then the average gamer
- 10 (18.9%)
indifferent, what's the big deal?
- 12 (22.6%)
I don't use hints. at all.
- 4 (7.5%)
I don't play adventure games. they're boring.
- 11 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You attitide towards adventure game hints  (Read 2317 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: You attitide towards adventure game hints
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 02:32:37 pm »

This is one possible reason why a lot of people feel frustrated. Of course by playing through the game you remember the various hints and clues, but you don't bring them together properly before using up the hint.

Once you do use the hint, it makes it pretty clear what you need to do. And so you feel like "I knew that all along" or it was "common sense".

This is also partly why if you charge people for advice you need them to pay in advance.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 04:07:38 pm »

Dude. Read the article I linked. The example he states is 100% from a real game.

Absolutely zero of it could ever make any sense to anyone.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 08:32:56 pm »

I read that article about two years ago or something. And I agree with your point too :P A lot of adventure games were hard for stupid reasons.

It's alot like a riddle that's only clever until you realize the answer can't actually be found through the normal methods. You effectively have to either know the answer or guess through every word and word combination in the language. It no longer follows the guidelines of riddling, and so is hardly a riddle at all.

I also agree with the claim that adventure gaming came about mainly because of hardware limitations, and that they were the best possible structure at the time for doing what the game designer wanted to do. Now that you can run any game concept through an FPS engine, it's a better choice (except in cases where your game stresses modern systems (like DF), or you're a novice programmer, or you're already an expert at a more limited engine (there are probably other situations too!)).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 02:08:01 pm »

I pine for the days of Adventure Games with Hints.  The last one I played with Torin's Passage.

The game was just silly enough that a hint would often be a bad pun.  Occasionally you'd get one that wasn't helpful ("Listen to the grass!") but more often than not they gave you a hint that really, really helped (such as having to rearrange fragmented sections of an audio recording to do something useful; the hint: "Make it say, 'Dreep!  Come here!'").

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 06:45:34 pm »

Use the coin on the workbench to make it flat and unscrew the vent hatch with it then put it in a soda machine to get a soda pour it over the thermostat to drop the temperature to get past the hot steam...  ???

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:01 pm »

Use the coin on the workbench to make it flat and unscrew the vent hatch with it then put it in a soda machine to get a soda pour it over the thermostat to drop the temperature to get past the hot steam...  ???

There are worse.

And then there are worse.
Pages: 1 [2]