Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'  (Read 8810 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2010, 06:56:47 am »

And skeletal horses ate all my dudes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2010, 07:16:41 am »

This thread just got 300% more dwarfy.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2010, 07:21:50 am »

I always thought it was just the fish being a seasonal thing, but it appears to be the only case of overworld travel with animals.

I blocked up a river i embark tile up, and then embarked below it, to find not only a massive amount of fps gobbling trout, but a never ending stream of shad. It appears to not decimate any populations if you clog an upstream tributary breeding lake, they still go up, just not as far.

But every granite the 21st, fps goes to 1, as hundreds of salmon appear.

Needless to say, Fishing's never been better.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2010, 07:33:54 am »

Apparantly my world gen has decided that it will only ever put magma pipes, sand and rivers in the same place if that place is also swarming with skeletal monstrosities.

This just got interesting.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2010, 08:56:54 am »

Ooh, I never noticed this!
Thou this could explain a few bizzare issues I had in the past when my fish stockpile is suddenly filled with nothing but salmon and my food stockpile is filled with nothing but fish.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 09:28:47 am »

Seems likely.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 11:25:09 am »

I like it. There should be advantages to taking the less-dwarvy areas like rivers and plains. Abundant fish could be one of them.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:57 am »

Oceans are even more awesome for this, by the way.  The entire coast gets flooded with catchables pretty much every season in many areas.  Just... be careful, as a few of the more dangerous sorts also do spawning runs.  This is VERY bad indeed if you set up base on an evil ocean in a tropical biome.  Let me put it this way: the bi-yearly skeletal ocean sunfish migrations will detour right into your fortress and boatmurder your Dwarves.  If you're not terrified yet, consider that ocean sunfish are often mistaken for sharks since they're so huge, very bony, and on average weigh about 2,200 pounds.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:32:02 am by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:59 pm »

Neruz: On your site with salmon, shad, and trout runs, for the sake of experimentation could you create a copy of your DF folder and remove the ocean biome tag on one, the river biome tag on the second, and the cluster_number tag on the third? Then we'd be able to see which tokens in combination affect it (or if all stop working we'd see it was only a combination of all three).

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 08:39:40 pm »

Neruz: On your site with salmon, shad, and trout runs, for the sake of experimentation could you create a copy of your DF folder and remove the ocean biome tag on one, the river biome tag on the second, and the cluster_number tag on the third? Then we'd be able to see which tokens in combination affect it (or if all stop working we'd see it was only a combination of all three).

Already did it, regenned the site afterwards.

CONCLUSION:

The combination of all 3 results in Fish Runs.

Not having Cluster Number removes all Fish Runs.

Not having one of the Biome tags creates Fish "Blooms", where one vermin fish will appear and then the cluster will explode outwards, the blooms hang around for a minute or two, and then fade away.

After experimenting, i can conclude that Vermin having a Cluster Number means you get clusters of that size randomly appearing around the biome the Vermin live in (hence, batsplosions), the 'run' functionality where they move up\down the river on a seasonal basis is tied to having both a cluster number and ocean\river biomes; presumably so the fish can move from one biome to another.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:17 pm »

What happens if you give a land vermin the water biome and cluster tags?  Do they drown themselves?  Or might "lemming runs" occur?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:19 pm »

What happens if you create "Locust" vermin with "Cluster" and [grasstrample:25]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2010, 11:24:33 pm »

CONCLUSION:
Not having one of the Biome tags creates Fish "Blooms", where one vermin fish will appear and then the cluster will explode outwards, the blooms hang around for a minute or two, and then fade away.

After experimenting, i can conclude that Vermin having a Cluster Number means you get clusters of that size randomly appearing around the biome the Vermin live in (hence, batsplosions), the 'run' functionality where they move up\down the river on a seasonal basis is tied to having both a cluster number and ocean\river biomes; presumably so the fish can move from one biome to another.

Wicked. I'm gonna go add this to the wiki.

It makes me wonder, though. If something this simple took so long to be discovered, Toady could really hide just about anything he wants in the code... even, perhaps... a way to... win.

>_>

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2010, 01:20:58 am »

CONCLUSION:

Wicked. I'm gonna go add this to the wiki.

It makes me wonder, though. If something this simple took so long to be discovered, Toady could really hide just about anything he wants in the code... even, perhaps... a way to... win.

>_>

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]