Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: {community} Ensebbomrek, Of Ice and Caves  (Read 2237 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: {community} Ensebbomrek, Of Ice and Caves
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 11:07:39 am »

Above the cave entrance, Tigger and Keldor were discussing their surroundings.  "...plenty of wood, but I'm more concerned about the frost.  How in Armok's name can we expect to grow anything when the ground's frozen solid?  An' that means no booze!"

"I'm sure we'll think of something," Tigger soothed, "After all, they did well enough at Copperblazes, and even Nist Akath for that matter.  There is one thing that I don't understand, though.  Ye see that cloud?"

Keldor looked southeast to the cloud Tigger was pointing to.  It wreathed itself around the highlands of the island, concealing the highest portions from view.  "What about it?"

"It hasn't moved a bit in the two days since we got here."
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:29:26 pm »

((Looks like flam4 got caught in a DoS attack on Sourceforge, which spammed my photobucket account with over 4000 views for each linked image until it overran the 10 GB a month bandwidth limit.  So, no pictures will be visible for a while until next month :-P  I'll keep posting new ones, so they'll be visible again on the 4th.))

After much hard work, the dwarves were at last able to sleep, collapsing where they stood in the food storage cavern since beds had not been made yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The lower levels of the cavern had been sealed, but Uzol and Zuglar's plan of dropping the ceiling onto the head of the ettin had been foiled by the creature's continual moving around.  As soon an Uzol would raise her pick to carve the collapsing chamber, Zuglar would hurry back up to report that the ettin had moved.  Again.

As such, it wasn't until Keldor had, Urist at his side, ventured up the slope to see the source of the strange cloud that the dwarves had hope of dealing with the creature once and for all.  The cloud turned out to be steam rising out of volcanic vents in the mountain.  Seeing this, Keldor and Urist had hastened towards the top, excited at what they might find.  They were not disappointed, for at the summit was a great crater, and in the center, a pool of Armok's Blood, lava.

To the dwarves, it was obvious now what had to be done.  But first, they badly needed some rest.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 06:14:36 pm »

As spring turned to summer, the dwarves of Ensebbomrek, or Basicwhip, as the dwarves called their cave, continued to toil.  One problem however haunted the thoughts of the dwarves.  There was no food.

In response to this, the dwarves began to take truely desparate (for dwarves) actions.  Rovod, the doctor, turned his herbalism skills to an attempt to gather what edible plants there may be beneath the snows, while Urist turned to hunting.

Then, at last, on the 22nd of Hematite, the summer thaw hit.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 06:28:27 pm »

All of your images are broken.

???
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 06:39:26 pm »

No one knew quite where they came from, yet nonethless, migrants had arrived at Ensebbomrek, making the long trek across the frozen sea...

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 06:40:57 pm »

All of your images are broken.

???

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that my Photobucket account had gotten caught in a DoS attack, so I don't have any bandwidth until early next month  :-\

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »

What is that guy in the bandwidth exceeded picture swinging anyway? looks like a giant red paddle or something.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 11:06:26 pm »

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that my Photobucket account had gotten caught in a DoS attack, so I don't have any bandwidth until early next month  :-\

Or you could rehost them on a decent image host.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 05:34:17 am »

What is that guy in the bandwidth exceeded picture swinging anyway? looks like a giant red paddle or something.

It's a "meter" (presumably of the bandwidth variety), and it's "gone into the red".
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 [2]