Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 119550 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2010, 11:57:53 pm »

Aaaaand a world destroyer is taking a merry stroll through my galaxy leaving a huge gash on it.
On the upside it'll pass right through the zuul homeworld.  :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:07 am »

Gate sections have a massive amount of hitpoints if you didn't know, that may have helped. As for the tech tree, you will always have the basic technologies which are quite effective. I guess it just comes down to personal taste.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2010, 07:22:54 am »

The big catch with the random tech tree (and my pet peeve) is that it's randomness is a bit unpredictable sometimes.

ummmm....
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2010, 07:29:12 am »

I find Rorscach's SotS wiki to be quite helpful with unknown menaces. It has tactics for defeating most of them.

In my recent game, after a while of hoping for breakthroughs I finally managed to get Dreadnoughts. I'm now the first owner of a Dreadnought in the galaxy . Tearing through hiver cruisers with heavy beam lasers is such fun  :P.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2010, 11:40:07 am »

Sadly the world destroyer was badass enough to kill a whole fleet of blazers I assembled specifically to try stopping it. Oh well.
The biggest problem is that I'm flanked by two allied liir empires (which are quite powerful), what means I'll need to be very swift if I ever declare war on them.
Also one upside to the complete-but-more-expensive-tech-tree. Zuul ships started to raep me with heavy stormers. Researched deflectors. This would be probably impossible to counter given that hivers tend to not have deflectors available.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2010, 01:37:52 pm »

Is anyone here any good at playing with the Zuul and willing to provide some tips. I know it's all about endless attacks and expansion but I just don't seem to get to the point where everything feels like it's kicking into the endless cascade of carnage. I seem to end up with fewer, and obviously weaker, ships than those around me.

I'm pretty much okay with the other races just the Zuul I can't get a handle on.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2010, 01:41:00 pm »

Research mega strip mining, overharvest your planets and build a ridiculous number of ships. Take slaves when you can (honestly its a pain in the ass) and keep killing anything you can. I've only played them a few times successfully really but they're fun.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2010, 01:44:42 pm »

Research mega strip mining, overharvest your planets and build a ridiculous number of ships. Take slaves when you can (honestly its a pain in the ass) and keep killing anything you can. I've only played them a few times successfully really but they're fun.

Any tips on taking slaves? Currently I try to crush a planets defences then pull slave ships in after that is done other wise they don't seem to survive. But even this only gets me a very small amount of production bonus.

I suppose if I managed to get good stealth with them that would be easier.

Maintaining wormholes is effort too :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »

Well a start is using the scavenger cruisers, their disks gather like 2 million slaves each.  :D

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2010, 01:49:23 pm »

I think you can avoid harming the planet at all if you set your ships to not bombard it (that big bomb icon on the top left of fleet settings).

Stealth slaver ships sound like a good idea too though.

It amazes me to no end how much pounding zuul ships can take, considering they are made of.. well... crap.

Also what's your favourite strategy to take out defence platforms? Usually I send 3 blazer cruisers looping around the planet on the opposite direction of the platforms's orbiting, while the rest of the fleet bombards the surface back to stone age.

Also, tadpoles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2010, 01:50:47 pm »

I use heavy missile bombardments.

Hell when I play as zuul I research missile tech as much as I can because their ships are extremely fast. Outrange = win

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2010, 01:52:10 pm »

Usually they do that as the AI with me too. That's until the Aegis Roach comes up into the battlefield (DE with firecontrol + point defence mission module with point defence lazorz)
Then they have to run for their money.  :P

Also, tadpoles.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2010, 03:12:12 pm »

You guys are starting to make me wonder why I passed on this game... Any good "getting started" guides?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »

Get the whole pack with expansions. I played it once with only the "born of blood" expansion and it felt rather lame.
Start your first game on easy to get used with the mechanics and etc. Also learn how to operate the tactical combat. It is quite difficult at first.

Also, tadpoles.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »

Also one upside to the complete-but-more-expensive-tech-tree. Zuul ships started to raep me with heavy stormers. Researched deflectors. This would be probably impossible to counter given that hivers tend to not have deflectors available.

Well, Hivers have the second best shot at second best armor, and best shot at the best. This is where their ballistic defense normally lies. It's not invulnerability, but it does help a lot.

Sure, there's still the chance you won't roll that either, but the odds are quite in your favor. :P
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 55