Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120311 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2010, 09:23:38 am »

Whats a good medium turret mount for Tarka Cruisers? I'm finding plasma cannons lack the oooph I want. Been researching mass drivers, since emitters was a dead end.

I just rely on Heavy beam lasers to dish out damage, can't seem to find anything for medium mounts aside for missiles.

I usually go for plasma cannons, they aren't great but they do the job, they are also easy to research and the tree gets a lot better when you get fusion. After that you can get antimatter cannons which are usually the best medium weapon mount.

I find missiles are obsolete to fast once point defence is researched, so you still have to research another branch of the tech tree.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2010, 01:49:22 pm »

Particle beams (and their improvements) can slice through enemy ships rather efficiently too. Plus they are quite accurate

Also heavy drones with phasers man. Heavy drones with phasers.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2010, 06:03:14 pm »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:13 am »

I quite like the light emitter techs if you have them. Get a few ships close in and watch everything fry at once :) Not so good late game mind you.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2010, 11:40:54 am »

I quite like the light emitter techs if you have them. Get a few ships close in and watch everything fry at once :) Not so good late game mind you.
And not good if the opponent gets energy absorbers. I think light emitters and plasma cannons are reduced by ~75% by absorbers.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2010, 05:04:53 pm »

Outfitting your whole fleet with graviton beams is evil. The enemy ships get tossed around like hell.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2010, 11:38:11 pm »

One amazingly fun trick is throwing tractor beams on your large defense satellites. Sats naturally rotate, so invariably anything snagged by the tractor will be slammed into the planet and killed instantly. Sure it does some minor damage to the planet but its funny as hell and can instakill even a dread.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2011, 04:12:13 am »

And not good if the opponent gets energy absorbers. I think light emitters and plasma cannons are reduced by ~75% by absorbers.

Yeah, and emitters are reduced a further 50% if the enemy has hardened electronics.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2011, 04:14:54 am »

Heavy drones with phasers.

Morrigi Heavy Drones with Phasers. So many ...

*rocks back and forth*
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2011, 11:02:25 am »

Don't Zuul heavy drones get even more slots?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2011, 03:14:47 pm »

What do you guys think about a Sots community play? I can host it in about a month, give or take, depending on how slow Amazon is on shipping. We would be playing with all the expansions, since I don't think its possible otherwise.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2011, 03:50:06 pm »

What do you guys think about a Sots community play? I can host it in about a month, give or take, depending on how slow Amazon is on shipping. We would be playing with all the expansions, since I don't think its possible otherwise.

Sounds interesting. Will we be playing a big or small galaxy?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2011, 04:40:30 pm »

Sounds interesting. Will we be playing a big or small galaxy?
Well, I was thinking around 200 stars. Gives each player 25 stars, so about 10 stars habitable. Still haven't fully decided on the other options, but I think I'll leave diplomacy open(form alliances), since Bay12 loves diplomacy, subterfuge, and so on. Everything else will be on default, so its balanced for all races.(putting ly distance at 25 would make it suicidal to play as hiver or human). Galaxy type can be decided by a vote, which I could do in a separate thread.

"Edit" Or if someone is really good, we could play Hungry Children.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:54:54 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2011, 12:41:47 am »

I'd vote for disk galaxy cuz' I have problems with the three-dimeiontalness of other maps.  :P

Also, tadpoles.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2011, 02:16:02 am »

I was going to make a thread to promote a bit this game, but I see you already did it.

This game is one of my favs. I had waited for like 10 years for a worthy succesor to Master of orion 2, and this game is it.

Only thing I dont like is the voice acting.

And SotS2 is comming next year! yay!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 55