Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120267 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:10 pm »

(Unless its the zuul. The zuul do not do peace. Ever)
Unless you're lucky. If you are at peace with the Zuul, though, don't break it, especially since they're probably at war with everyone else.
The Zuul don't do peace, they just haven't eaten you yet.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »

Yeah, it's the alien menace that keeps killing me, I'll avoid them now.

I've tried playing as humans and as the... Um... Not hive-thingies or space dolphin aliens and failed horribly with both, yet I've never come across a proper enemy.

I'm thinking of trying the Hive-thingies, they sound a lot like my play style in just about every game.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2011, 06:27:56 pm »

Yeah, it's the alien menace that keeps killing me, I'll avoid them now.

I've tried playing as humans and as the... Um... Not hive-thingies or space dolphin aliens and failed horribly with both, yet I've never come across a proper enemy.

I'm thinking of trying the Hive-thingies, they sound a lot like my play style in just about every game.
Hivers are incredibly powerful around the middle game but very slow to start. It can take upwards of 30 turns to reach your first star if you're unlucky.

Do you know which alien menace you're fighting? We can offer tips on combating them.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »

Derelicts in my current game, I've destroyed two but with heavy losses each time. The crap thing is that they surround my home world.

EDIT: By the way, in the past I have died to the swarm and the Von Neumann.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2011, 06:32:55 pm »

Derelicts in my current game, I've destroyed two but with heavy losses each time. The crap thing is that they surround my home world.

That's the wonder of the RNG.
Sometimes you've got the perfect setup, sometimes your setup is crap, but it's something different.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:50 pm »

Use missile-heavy ships set to stand off and you should be able to pound alien derelicts from a distance with little or no return fire. Also, spoiler in case you don't want to know but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Swarmers are a pain in the ass, get point defense tech and equip destroyers with PD sections and PD lasers with only a few normal weapons to pound the nest/queen. The swarming 'bees' will tear through normal ships at low tech.

Von Neumann... well its actually best NOT to fight them because:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A good tactic against VN is just to build a full ring of defense sats around your planets and let them eat the sats. If you don't, they will drain resources from your planet.

If the random encounters are really bugging you, you can turn them down or off at the game config screen before starting a game.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2011, 07:10:59 pm »

The manual of the game suggests playing with 2 or 3 AI players for your first run. I'd actually pump that up so that  you won't win through peace once you finally figure out why ships are cheap compared to other 4x games. And the 3d star maps are pretty disorienting :s. I kinda see why 2d space has some apeal, but does anyone know of a map without too much... verticality compared to the sphere map?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2011, 07:12:09 pm »

The manual of the game suggests playing with 2 or 3 AI players for your first run. I'd actually pump that up so that  you won't win through peace once you finally figure out why ships are cheap compared to other 4x games. And the 3d star maps are pretty disorienting :s. I kinda see why 2d space has some apeal, but does anyone know of a map without too much... verticality compared to the sphere map?
There is a disc map shape and a completely flat one as well.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2011, 07:49:54 pm »

Spiral is also pretty flat, there's a few other maps that aren't too aggressively 3d.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2011, 04:26:43 am »

And if you want to make the field even more even, there is a map called "Tourney Space". Planets are more or less the same, making it even for everyone on the map. Combined with 0% random encounters, it makes an ideal sandbox. Ofcourse, you'll still get brutally murdered once you return to the normal maps, but hey, SotS is that kind of game. ^^

As for the best starting race, I found the Tarka's to be the best "combat" race, but the Liir generally have more research options. Liir ships are fast in deep space, but slow down near gravity wells, while Tarka ships just go the same speed. Their drives are familiar though and they both closely resemble the "classic" 4X warp drive. Morrigi also have a similar drive, but they need numbers in order to increase speed. So, Tarka or Liir. I learned the ropes with the Tarka.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:47:45 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2011, 05:00:23 am »

I shall darken your skies like a murder of crows fool!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2011, 05:12:53 am »

I like blowing up Morrigi ships. They look like Wraith cruisers, and the resemblance is enhanced when they start using drones.

And they make a very satisfying thump when they hit the ground.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

So, that is my current main battleship weapon design. I have the mass driver damage booster researched also. As in most games, my designs are pretty simple. Does the Bay12 forums have any say in improvements?

Notes: I can't go any further up the heavy laser tech tree. I'm hoping I'll salvage cutting beams from one my neighbors eventually. Fusion Cannons+ does seem possible, along with the electricity route. But phasers seem a no go at the moment. Finely, I don't have the shipyard expansion(yet), so a few techs are unavailable.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:18 pm »

I have honestly never found heavy beams to be very effective except on Zuul DN, where they are TURRETED.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:36 am »

I have honestly never found heavy beams to be very effective except on Zuul DN, where they are TURRETED.

Really? Thats not even funny amounts of pain there. I've never been any good with Zuul though, just isn't my play style I guess.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 55