Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120333 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2011, 03:18:18 am »

They are slow turrets with limited arcs, but yes they're turrets and it is awesome. Zuul DN are like floating goddamn fortresses. SO MANY GUNS

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2011, 06:21:53 am »

What can make a Zuul DN more terrifying?

Oh yes. An AI command module. Many guns with perfect accuracy. Given the zerg-like behavior of the Zuul ships, it is hard being on the recieving end of that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:21 am »

Oh yes. An AI command module. Many guns with perfect accuracy. Given the zerg-like behavior of the Zuul ships, it is hard being on the recieving end of that.
That's assuming they roll AI tech, and ai fire control, and manage not to have an AI rebellion. :D

But yes, a Zuul DN with AI fire control is a monster.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2011, 08:32:24 am »

That's assuming they roll AI tech, and ai fire control, and manage not to have an AI rebellion. :D

But yes, a Zuul DN with AI fire control is a monster.

I did it once in one game. Though I did have a rebellion, but put it down before it got out of hand.
Funny enough, Zuul are actually second best at getting Virus, and tied with first for slaves. They have few problems once they actually GET AI tech.

There are four shots at AI, so even with the fairly low chance Zuul have, you might see it every other game or so.

As for rebellions, there's always the other source. No idea why he always targets the Zuul in my games. I hate Zuul AI rebellions so much.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »

Alright, I've settled for the Hivers, they really match my playstyle. Anyway, I only have a very short time of internet connection here, so I've got to type this quick: what the hell does over budget mean?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »

Alright, I've settled for the Hivers, they really match my playstyle. Anyway, I only have a very short time of internet connection here, so I've got to type this quick: what the hell does over budget mean?

Assuming research is over budget it means you went over 100% of the estimated time / cost to complete. Research is finished from between 50% and 150% of the estimate.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2011, 04:23:32 am »

Yep, each turn once a research project is over 50% it rolls some dice. It can complete as early as 50% or as late as 150%.

Boosting your research by pouring extra money into it can give you a big boost on the completion. It can also cause the entire project to fail and restart or cause even worse things to happen on dangerous projects. (Like a bioweapon infecting your world)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2011, 04:29:45 am »

I've tried both boosting research while overbudget, and cutting my science budget to almost nothing while overbudget, and you know, cutting the science budget seems to work just as well for finishing the project as doing nothing to it, and gives you all kinds of cash while your researchers screw around, without the risk of boosting research. That's what it looked like to me, anyhow.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:54 am »

I've tried both boosting research while overbudget, and cutting my science budget to almost nothing while overbudget, and you know, cutting the science budget seems to work just as well for finishing the project as doing nothing to it, and gives you all kinds of cash while your researchers screw around, without the risk of boosting research. That's what it looked like to me, anyhow.

Overboosting is riskier but cheaper.
It generates twice as much research for each credit.

And by the gods don't overboost plague and ai related tech.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2011, 04:47:51 am »

I never got into this game because I felt guilty that I had to genocide millions of people/dolphins to take over a planet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2011, 04:50:13 am »

I never got into this game because I felt guilty that I had to genocide millions of people/dolphins to take over a planet.
That's changed now. You wipe out the imperial population (ie, all the military and support) and you can take the planet and keep the civilians.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2011, 05:37:35 am »

I didn't even notice that some of them were being left alive.

There are one or two ways to capture colonies completely intact, but they require higher-end techs.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2011, 05:46:16 am »

I didn't even notice that some of them were being left alive.

There are one or two ways to capture colonies completely intact, but they require higher-end techs.
Generally your ships will stop bombarding once all imperial presence is destroyed, but leave the civvies.

You can tell them to continue tho if you want, and wipe them all out

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:54 am »

since amoc, all heavy beams of all fractions have at last 7° "turret" move, witch makes them much more usefull. i use heavy beams in dn fights to strip off turrets a lot, what works like a charm due to the long beam duration and the high point focussed damage.

for the hint not to blow up the vn probes, i dissagree. distroying them will grant a ressource bouns to the system,  and the vn´s are handled as a fraktion by the game. thus they do need ressources to build the berzerkers. if you deny these ressurces no berserks will spawn.
sure, its always a bit of gambling as the ai may mess this up, but usualy ai empires do have pretty strong defences on all planets. just make sure to defend the uncolonised planets as well.  just 3 de with some pd will do the job. sure, this way is a bit risky, but i see berzerks verry verry rarely in my games.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2011, 09:28:36 am »

Good grief man.  How do you write such a thoughtful post with such horrible spelling and capitalization?

As for VN, I tend to just kill the tiny guys and leave the big guy alone, and it works out fine.  Remember that missiles don't work well since they have Point Defense Phasers.

I've found the heavy Mass Drivers from Argos Naval Shipyard to be the best late game weapon I could have hoped for.  They have excellent range and hits send enemy ships spinning out of control like crazy before they can even attack.  I'm almost tempted to take on a Peacekeeper with them.  I tried these after I found the heavy beams to be somewhat disappointing due to their short range.  My fleets are usually one command DN then as many DNs and Cs with the heavy MDs and PD phasers as I can field and then a view missile ships, maybe some utility ships.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55