Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120273 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2011, 04:11:05 pm »

There are also propaganda ships, which you could station at your colonies to boost morale, or at or near neutral empires' systems to influence them. (Or even enemies if you can get near their systems and stop, and not get killed by them sending out fleets to attack you)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2011, 12:05:09 am »

I'd found out about the cutters after looking at the wiki. Never would've guessed FTL Broadband has more to it than the seemingly multiplayer-only function of seeing ally battles.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:48 am »

Did you notice the freighters?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2011, 01:26:27 am »

No. Freighters are also part of the branch beyond FTL Broadband, and I never bothered to research that. My ally wasn't too keen on them either. That could've saved my empire back then.

That's what I dislike about the "tech tree" research system. Unless you know what comes after what, you basically have to hope the designers share the same notion of "common sense" that you do. I'd never have thought FTL broadband would be a requirement for establishing a police force, or trade routes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2011, 05:55:06 am »

Yer the description is a little misleading isn't it. Guess I'm just used to it now as I never really think about it. Unlocks all the communication techs like spying as well I think.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2011, 06:21:02 am »

Several of the techs are like that. This (plus http://sots.rorschach.net in general) may be useful:
http://sots.rorschach.net/images/8/87/SOTS_ANY_1.7.1_techtree_v1.4.png

Deep scan, for instance, can save your ass by letting you see enemy fleets coming from much farther away, and letting you see what's in them. I never even knew about deep scan until a couple months ago, because it's on some branch I never thought to research. You get it from Advanced Sensors, and first need Integrated Sensors to research that. In my case, I never even bothered to research Integrated Sensors, since it didn't appear to do anything useful. You also need Integrated Sensors to research Data Correlation, which allows you to see what every ship you've run into has on it for technology.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:25:47 am by Shadowlord »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2011, 06:35:58 am »

Several of the techs are like that. This (plus http://sots.rorschach.net in general) may be useful:
http://sots.rorschach.net/images/8/87/SOTS_ANY_1.7.1_techtree_v1.4.png

Deep scan, for instance, can save your ass by letting you see enemy fleets coming from much farther away, and letting you see what's in them. I never even knew about deep scan until a couple months ago, because it's on some branch I never thought to research. You get it from Advanced Sensors, and first need Integrated Sensors to research that. In my case, I never even bothered to research Integrated Sensors, since it didn't appear to do anything useful. You also need Integrated Sensors to research Data Correlation, which allows you to see what every ship you've run into has on it for technology.
Data Correlation along with some other techs will let you build a database of observed human/zuul nodelines as well.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2011, 07:00:13 am »

wait, advanced sensors allow to build sensor ships? now thats surprising.
and albeit its true that the fact, that comunication leads to frighters its not clearly in the description of the techtree, these features where explained in the manuals of the expansions that featured them. in case your "distributions" came without manuals, you can download them from kerberos. just search the forums.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2011, 07:20:45 am »

wait, advanced sensors allow to build sensor ships? now thats surprising.
and albeit its true that the fact, that comunication leads to frighters its not clearly in the description of the techtree, these features where explained in the manuals of the expansions that featured them. in case your "distributions" came without manuals, you can download them from kerberos. just search the forums.

FLT communication doesn't lead to freighters, it leads to FLT broadband which in turn leads to freighters which was the point he was making. The fact the manual (not a physical manual on digital "distributions" such as steam...) has this information isn't much help, as who reads manuals anyway, and yes there is information on the forum or the wiki but 99% of players will never go to either.

The game is great, and I keep going back and play it again and again, issues like this don't effect most of the forum posters here because we are in that 1%, but don't defend a bad design choice because of that.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2011, 07:31:40 am »

I think FTL Communication is a tarkas only tech which allows you to give orders to fleets that are in warp.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2011, 07:56:40 am »

I think FTL Communication is a tarkas only tech which allows you to give orders to fleets that are in warp.
Um... what? Taking a half second to look at that tech tree .png would tell you FTL comms is the basic C3 tech. Everyone gets it.

You're thinking of hyper-link communications, which is the only tarkas only C3 tech.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:59:06 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2011, 09:41:18 am »

Props for the avatar there.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2011, 09:50:33 am »

What's the deal with point defense?

Isn't laser point defense always better then the gauss cannon point defense due to their higher accuracy?
What's the deal with that?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2011, 10:17:22 am »

What's the deal with point defense?

Isn't laser point defense always better then the gauss cannon point defense due to their higher accuracy?
What's the deal with that?

They do about 5 to 6 times more damage which is handy against torpedoes which lasers don't kill very fast, and they have twice the range so fire earlier and despite firing slower can get more shots in. However I would agree to the benefits being marginal enough that lasers are better overall.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2011, 10:40:46 am »

Ah yeah the wiki has the actual values.
I should have paid more attention :P
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 55