Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120312 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2011, 10:39:59 am »

I thought the justification was basicly that destroyers don't last long enough to warrant a independent FTL drive system.

And to be quite frank, I can understand this reasoning. Piddly weapon-hardpoints, abysmal armor, even with massive upgrades... I rarely bother using them for more than spreading out the incoming damage if the AI is using heavy hitting stuff or distractions: And mind you, they're spent rapidly.
I don't remember exactly what the justification for Destroyer Riders is in SotS2. But they're in the game regardless of the justification.

But in SotS, I like using some Destroyers (say, 6 active Destroyers in a fleet) even after I get Dreads (which I typically rush for). They are speedy (when compared to larger classes) and hard to hit. If you're using Destroyers that can use heavier weapons, it's quite fun. They can move around the field tearing down ships while your larger ships do greater damage (Cruisers/Dreads using Railguns, Cutting Beams, and (Pulsed) Graviton Beams mainly). I also typically prefer 3 Cruisers over a single Dread, as 3 Cruisers can move quicker than a Dread can with approximately the same amount of firepower.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2011, 03:31:24 pm »

1. Obviously there is a new race, the ancient race the game mentions a few times.

The sul'ka, makers of the Zuul, enslavers of the Liir, and the ones that destroyed the ancient morrigui empire.

2. Looks like a new engine(game engine), but maybe not. Might just be revamped graphics.

It is a new engine, that's confirmed.

3. Paradox entertainment took part in the making of this game, I know they have a history of good games, at least ones I liked.

Im not sure, but there is a problem with paradox games (developed by them) ... they are always released as betas (full of serious bugs)
I preffer if kerberos did this alone, and paradox only publishes

4. A larger ship hull than the dreadnought? Maybe I've never compared a destroyer to a dreadnought, but some of those ships are quite huge.....

as Zai said, Leviathans, 3 times bigger than dreads. Destroyers are downgraded to 'system defense ships' tho.

Some extra material for the eye

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 10, 2011, 03:46:49 pm »

They are just the publisher then, since you guys know more than me.

Also, how would a system defense ship work? No upkeep? Spawned at the beginning of a battle? Controlled by the AI?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2011, 04:02:44 pm »

Also, how would a system defense ship work? No upkeep? Spawned at the beginning of a battle? Controlled by the AI?

there have not been much details about it, but Im guessing it will be like mobile defense plataforms :S

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2011, 04:29:27 pm »

They've really outdone themselves on the new art assets, and the brief glimpse you get of the map screen looks like a massive improvement.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »

Yea, an actual territory map :D.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2011, 06:40:13 am »

there have not been much details about it, but Im guessing it will be like mobile defense plataforms :S
Whatever the case, the justification that "new FTL drives don't fit on them" is really, really weak. I mean, can't old FTL drives still be used? As to their usefulness in late-game, well, I guess none of you tried to make cheap damage soaks out of them, with level 4 shields, pulse phaser strafe sections, and phaser PD. Those shields, with a shield amp, can take an alpha-strike from a dreadnaught and keep working. So, you have a flock of cheap ships that are much tougher than destroyers have any right to be, that also pack a halfdecent punch. If your enemy attacks them, that's less damage to your main fleet. If he doesn't, that's his own lookout, pulse phasers can be nasty, and the medium mount(s) on the engine section won't be idling either (using, say, AM cannons). Great solution for an initial skirmish wave or fleet size padding between dreads.
Can't forget things like node missiles either, will those be left out as well?

I'm suspecting it'll be mostly a nomenclature change. Cruisers will be as destroyers are in SotS1, Leviathans will be as dreads are, and destroyers... hell, I don't know. Giving them a role as system defense fleets could be a good idea, especially if they aren't allowed FTL drives, but I really can't see a reason to be limiting them like that. Sure, their use late-game is limited (tell that to people defeating Ortgay with a platoon of DE minelayers), but early-game they are a cheap and cheerful method of scouting out the map and probing for encounters without risking the expensive ships.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2011, 06:59:56 am »

What I'm guessing is that cruisers, dreadnoughts and Leviathans can have a mission section that allows carrying destroyers along in battle (this part is confirmed). Once the battle starts, I'm guessing you can control the Destroyers like normal ships. If they would be controlled by the A.I., what would differentiate them from Drones?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2011, 07:55:15 am »

They'd be like the Tarka battle riders, then. I haven't built them yet, so I don't know if they're manually controlled. In any case, I'd at least like a stronger justification for stripping destroyers of FTL capability.

Also:
1. Obviously there is a new race, the ancient race the game mentions a few times.
Been known for quite a while that they'd be in the game. The game (pre-expansions, at least) will only have 6 factions though, just like AMoC/ANY SotS.
Six factions? With the Suul'ka added, which will be thrown out? Going by the available previews, it's not Humans, Liir, Hivers, Zuul, or Morrigi. So, Tarka? I wonder why. They're the last race I'd expect to get wiped out by... just about anything, Suul'ka included. Well, maybe beside humans, for plot reasons.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:00:37 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 11, 2011, 08:12:38 am »

They'd be like the Tarka battle riders, then. I haven't built them yet, so I don't know if they're manually controlled. In any case, I'd at least like a stronger justification for stripping destroyers of FTL capability.

Also:
Been known for quite a while that they'd be in the game. The game (pre-expansions, at least) will only have 6 factions though, just like AMoC/ANY SotS.
Six factions? With the Suul'ka added, which will be thrown out? Going by the available previews, it's not Humans, Liir, Hivers, Zuul, or Morrigi. So, Tarka? I wonder why. They're the last race I'd expect to get wiped out by... just about anything, Suul'ka included. Well, maybe beside humans, for plot reasons.

You're looking at it in the wrong way.

They still need some races to probably (re-)introduce in any expansion packs ;)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 11, 2011, 08:22:13 am »

Yeah, getting some conflicting stuff on that. I know there's supposed to be some kind of Zuul split. Part will ally with the Suul'ka, and part with the Liir. And the absence of Tarka ships so far has been a bit disconcerting.

Am I the only one who confuses the Hiver ships in the trailers for Tarka ones? They look basically like a blend of the two species' ships from the first game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 11, 2011, 08:32:29 am »

Well, the Hiver cruiser's Battle Bridge section is rather unmistakable there. Or is that the Assault section? The one with two giant underslung cannons.

Also, Empty, that'd be plain cheap.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 11, 2011, 08:42:00 am »

From what I recall reading over on kerebos forums a while back, it's not going to be six species but six factions for sots2. As the timeline has moved on from the first game, there was to be a blurring of the former strict lines between the races. Of course this could have changed since I last looked a while back.

If one species was to be removed as a top level species, the Zuul being subsumed into the forces of the Suul'ka would make the most sense from a backstory perspective.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »

I'm suspecting it'll be mostly a nomenclature change. Cruisers will be as destroyers are in SotS1, Leviathans will be as dreads are, and destroyers... hell, I don't know. Giving them a role as system defense fleets could be a good idea, especially if they aren't allowed FTL drives, but I really can't see a reason to be limiting them like that. Sure, their use late-game is limited (tell that to people defeating Ortgay with a platoon of DE minelayers), but early-game they are a cheap and cheerful method of scouting out the map and probing for encounters without risking the expensive ships.

EXACTLY what I am fearing pal. I fear destroyers are now how they call drones. In fact, they have said there will be "destroyer-carrier ships"
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 55