Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 119543 times)

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2011, 01:34:12 pm »

No not really, you can have remote controlled drones, pre scripted drones, automated drones, a drone with a artificial intelligence controlling its actions would not be a tautology...

If you trigger a AI rebellion however you get lots and lots of completely AI controlled ships.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »

I'd probably just call them drone bombers. Because they'd have turrets.

On the same note, I've got a few more weapon concepts.

Pulse Bomb - a side application of Torpedo and Polarized Plasmatics tech, the Pulse Bomb is a small tracking globule of polarized plasma, capable of being fitted into a medium strafe mount. Due to the projectile actually weakening with range as the polarized fields dissipate around the high-energy core, its best use is in Heavy Drones. Comes in Plasma, Fusion, and Antimatter varieties, matching the researched Torpedo techs, also requires Chakkars for Plasma and Fusion, and Chakrams for Antimatter.

Gyrojets (micro missiles): With interceptor PDs available, why the heck not? Take the swarmer warhead and fit it with a simple target ID system. Now you have a small-sized short-range missile launcher, weaker hitting than a HEAP gauss and with a longer reload, but with longer range and tracking.

Non-weapon: Drone Shields tech. Once you get Shield Amplification and MkIII Shields, you can develop heavy drone frames with built-in MkI-equivalent shield generators. These drones have reduced speed and maneuverability as a result of shields drawing away engine power.

As for the other projects:

HEAP drivers seem to pass all sanity checks. Late-game they're ever so slightly weaker than comparable missiles, and aren't too easy to get (You need DF Racks and AP drivers, which some races won't get sometimes) so their higher early-game power isn't that obvious.

Repeater drivers survived transplantation into medium/large turrets admirably, now a Gauss repeater gives slightly lower DPS than its brother the medium-mount stormer, but is much more efficient at the application of this DPS. Same with the Mass Driver repeater. The gauss repeaters might look good on drones, with their high fire rate.

Flak drivers need some good blast FX, and I still can't confirm that they actually explode around incoming missiles they miss, but with a proper downgrade they work like decent medium-mount weapons. They're guaranteed to be a great swarm-deterrent, because of their wide area of effect.

Working on Swarmer Launchers and Volley Launchers next.

Here you go - if you want to use them:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4152380/SotSMod.zip
Includes HEAP Drivers, Repeater Drivers, and the Flak Driver. No new research necessary.
HEAP drivers require AP Drivers and DF Racks. Repeater Drivers require Stormers. Flak drivers require Stormers and Point Defence.
The archive is a Mods folder and sots.ini, which you'll have to either edit to point to your profile, or just post it as-is and hope the game understands what you want of it. The mod presumes a SotS Complete Collection, 1.8.0. If you've got something else, it may or may not work.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:04:21 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:54 pm »

Some kind of guided COL package maybe? I feel the current version relies entirely too much on cannon position while say, a area denial nanite-missile can be launced from basicly any big slot on the ship at a moments notice... But I digress. And have a cold. So have some delirious ramblings.

Drones are, I feel, a somewhat underutilized concept, mainly in fact because most ships will carry some form of Point Defence or another (unless the random tech tree RNG decides to completely screw you over) And once you have phaser point defences or perish the thought, missile point defences, it lands drones in the very awkward position of being a detachable low tier turret with very low life expectancy. - The only game I can think of where this isn't the case for what is basicly a glorified missile which launches missiles (or lasers, or what have you(not to be confused with those missiles which do in fact split up into multiple missiles*)) would be EvE online, if only because there are no proper point defence slots for the ships and drones tend to be a pain in the ass to shoot down. - I guess it just comes down to what the situation calls for, like the unlikely event that nobody else ever bothered to research point defences (which is almost a necessity with Silicoids roaming around). ... Or you can fit beamers on them and try to bring as many into battle as humanely possible. PDs be damned.

* Make a COL package that splits up into missiles. Lots of missiles. With auto target aquisition.

Does anyone recall what the balance reasoning decision behind making dreadnought sections not explode until the whole thing comes apart from sheer structural stress (shooty go boom). ... And is there a way to mod how many ship sections you can disable before the ship inevitably explode? Would be fun to have a completely disabled hulk floating around...

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2011, 05:26:01 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2011, 05:48:07 am »

No guns on the bottom?  That seems like a design flaw.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2011, 05:55:13 am »

Did you make that?

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 21, 2011, 07:31:28 am »

nope, found it reading about the game

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 21, 2011, 08:05:59 am »

Just flip the ship over.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:31 am »

Just flip the ship over.

What?  No guns on the top?  That seems like a design flaw.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #384 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04:06 pm »

The ship is designed to spin on it's axis so the gun's position is irrelevant.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2011, 12:59:20 pm »

Well, it looks like a typical Destroyer turret layout. Except you have a Large turret and Mediums instead of a Medium and Small turrets. Human Destroyers were always under-armed from below, with only one Small (Medium here) turret on the engine section, facing back. This cruiser also has a pair of Small turrets facing down, for point defense purposes, probably.

All in all, it looks like I was right. We get "System Defense" Destroyers as a new ship class, Cruisers are essentially what Destroyers were previously, Dreadnaughts act like Cruisers, and Leviathans take place of the Dreadnaughts. Same deal, just scaled up. Downgrading destroyers to system defense was (IMO) not a good move, they could've just added frigates for that, but I understand the need for such ships - defense platforms are NOT going to cut it when you have combat actually happening in the system, not just one of the planets. Orbital defenses will only be useful to hold off a siege, but to actually fight incoming menaces you'll need mobile ships.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 21, 2011, 04:44:36 pm »

Do you guys know what would be immense for drones/missiles to have on them? Point-defence-point-defence. Even faster firing guns that have a shorter range and less damage, but can shoot down PD shots. :D
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #387 on: February 21, 2011, 04:45:57 pm »

Do you guys know what would be immense for drones/missiles to have on them? Point-defence-point-defence. Even faster firing guns that have a shorter range and less damage, but can shoot down PD shots. :D
But then I would put point-defense-point-defense-point-defense on my point-defense missiles which could shoot down your point-defense-point-defense rounds!  :D

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »

Oh noez! My plan is foiled, I'll have to use PDPDPDPD Missiles! They are so small the human eye can't actually see them.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2011, 04:55:29 pm »

Oh noez! My plan is foiled, I'll have to use PDPDPDPD Missiles! They are so small the human eye can't actually see them.
But my PDPDPDPDPD nanomunitions would defeat you!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55