Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120300 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #480 on: October 29, 2011, 07:52:31 am »

The queue system was inefficient for large orders though since you pay up front and then lose out on the interest that money would have made sitting in your treasury, which meant it was more efficient to order 1-2 ships at a time which was annoying.

True, does the invoice system improve on that though?
I'll have to get the update this evening when I get home from work and see what it's like :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 29, 2011, 08:16:21 am »

You can save an invoice and order up multiple stacks.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #482 on: October 29, 2011, 10:40:10 am »

The queue system was inefficient for large orders though since you pay up front and then lose out on the interest that money would have made sitting in your treasury, which meant it was more efficient to order 1-2 ships at a time which was annoying.

True, does the invoice system improve on that though?
I'll have to get the update this evening when I get home from work and see what it's like :)
As far as I can see, you pay per ship completed rather than it immediately taking the money out when you submit the invoice. The money doesn't vanish from your treasury and sit in escrow for several years, you pay when the work is done instead. And as inteuniso said, you can save an invoice and order it up again later. I went through and worked out my standard colony, survey and construction fleets at the start and now all I have to do is put through an invoice to get a fleet, no click click clicking.

The fleet management took some time to get used to but I think I like it. Fleets are based out of naval stations now and not free to go flying all over the place without a supply base. It inserts a lot of strategic thinking. You may want a system not because it has nice planets but because of its positioning so you can insert a forward supply base there and extend your range.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 29, 2011, 11:56:11 am »

I am quite glad the price stopped me from buying that game(also I was a bit suspicious about the fact that all the screenshots they showed were zooms on spaceships).

Apparently there is quite a few issues at release:
-Sound cutting every 10 mins(may be only a few configurations but from what I read it's quite common)
-Broken encyclopedia
-Lack of tooltip/documentation
-UI issues
-Some crashes
-Lots of little bugs

Apparently from what I read they had 3 developement period extensions granted by paradox but didn't manage to finish the game and paradox finally put his foot down and released(can't really blame paradox)...

Anyway it looks like it will need a few months of fixing before it becomes enjoyable at this point.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 29, 2011, 12:50:52 pm »

They released a day 0 patch.
According to my sources, the data to download for the patch was actually larger than the initial game download.
Whoops.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #485 on: October 29, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »

According to my sources, the data to download for the patch was actually larger than the initial game download.
Whoops.
Source? Because the game itself is ~4.5 GB and I haven't downloaded a patch larger than that. I did download a 16MB patch earlier today for it...

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 29, 2011, 12:55:15 pm »

Whoops.
Wouldnt know about that, the first thing i downloaded came from Gamersgate being 1.6 or 1.5gb in size.

It did little more than launch steam and let me activate the game there, resulting in steam to completly ignore the downloaded files, proceeding to get its own 4-odd gb download.
It did patch later, making basicly another full download... that would be them releasing the actual release version (however unfinished that actually is) in place of the accidently placed beta version (it seems my call on this being beta was perfectly accurate xD)

Now they're gonna do actual patching, and downloads are likely to be smaller.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 29, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »

Whoops.
Source? Because the game itself is ~4.5 GB and I haven't downloaded a patch larger than that. I did download a 16MB patch earlier today for it...
Did you...  Actually download it before said patch?  It would stand to reason that you wouldn't notice it if it were applied before you even had the game downloaded :P

EDIT: That 1.6 stands at approximately exactly the original release size.
The patch was 1.9, which seemingly leaves room for decompression bloat to achieve that 4.5GB.  Somehow.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:59:50 pm by Jay »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #488 on: October 29, 2011, 01:00:01 pm »

Whoops.
Did you...  Actually download it before said patch?  It would stand to reason that you wouldn't notice it if it were applied before you even had the game downloaded :P
Yes I did. I think what you're referring to was the release build. The older beta build was put up first by mistake and then the release build was put up hours later which necessitated a redownload. There was no 'zero-day patch larger than the game' though.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 29, 2011, 01:02:40 pm »

Yes I did. I think what you're referring to was the release build
I cannae explain 'ow a ~1.9 GB build could possibly bloat to 4+GB, cap'n

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #490 on: October 29, 2011, 01:06:04 pm »

Yes I did. I think what you're referring to was the release build
I cannae explain 'ow a ~1.9 GB build could possibly bloat to 4+GB, cap'n
Are you being cute? In any case the installed footprint of the game from steam is... -checks- ...8.4GB. That is of course with the game currently running and several saves I've been working on, so I don't know how much of that is after the fact. The download from steam for BOTH releases was around 4+GB.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 29, 2011, 01:31:37 pm »

I was really looking forward to this but after hearing about lots of problems... I'm definitely going to wait a while for them to sort the bugs out (and maybe even get a steam sale). I hate that pretty much every game released these days is a buggy mess, AND you're expected to pay top price for it when you can wait a few months and get it cheaper + less buggy.

I'd also like to see a demo first... it sounds like they have changed a LOT and some of the changes don't sound good to me. I'd absolutely hate to have another MoO3 on my hands.

Edit: heh, it seems like it's so bad paradox (the publisher) is offering refunds for people who want them. Definitely glad I didn't click that preorder button now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:53:55 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:36 pm »

Most people downloaded an older beta copy by accident, which was only 1.6GBs.  The Day 0 patch was is actually the proper release, containing all the extras and most of the missing bits, from what I can tell.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 29, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »

Bummer to hear all the release drama, but I'll give Kerberos the benefit of the doubt. They've shown themselves to be dedicated to patching and improvements with the original SOTS, so I expect they'll get it sorted out.

That said, I'm peronally holding off till it's on sale and/or has an expansion pack out. I was underwhelmed by the original SOTS until the add-on packs started coming out. Now it's one of my favorites.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 29, 2011, 02:21:13 pm »

Yesterday already i read there was a manual to be seen or downloaded somewhere.

any of you know about it? Searched my steam folders, doesnt appear to come with the game?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 55