Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120317 times)

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #495 on: October 29, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »

You can download it from the paradox forums, did read somewhere that it wasn't the correct one also, sorry can't remember where. I checked it out and it still leaves *tons* of questions unanswered. But it's a start I guess..

Anywho, here is the link, http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?566832-Manual&s=a1cda8a4f291beedd157ddef7be9580a

Also, they updated it again, small patch, small fixes.

Wow, I'm really disappointed in this release/game, but seeing how they supported Sots1, I still got some hope left they will patch it up nicely the coming months.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:43:38 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 29, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »

SotS1 got a few patches per release of main game and expansions. I expect 2 to get good support.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2011, 06:32:37 pm »

Mecron Statement on Kerberos Boards, Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:36 pm
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In short, they'll hang in there but it will take time (month being mentioned, months being hinted). Besides the fixing and filling out of promised features, there will be maps, badges, portraits etc weekly... and you can grab a free copy of SOTS 1 for the time being.
Or get a refund, if you're not trusting em.

I'm staying with it. Love everything that is there at the moment. Ships themselves, design, new research with feasibility, mission based fleet control, star systems, bases... its all evolved but still familiar and cozy to me.
Not like i'm PLAYING it at the moment, but damn. It's not like it's the only game i own and it has to work NOW.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:35:46 pm by Lord Snow »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 30, 2011, 06:41:59 pm »

Having some trouble with the game being kind heavy for my computer, but that might be helped with patches or with my soon to be purchase of more RAM... Other than that, it's showing quite some promise, although it certainly need to be worked on.

That said, kudos to Mecron for assuming full responsibility.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 30, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »

Is the game worth playing now? I bought it before realizing exavtly what was going on. Ill wait for them either way, just curious if i should bother booting it up now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #500 on: October 30, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »

Is the game worth playing now? I bought it before realizing exavtly what was going on. Ill wait for them either way, just curious if i should bother booting it up now.
It is playable but has some issues.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 30, 2011, 07:04:13 pm »

Some issues is a bit of an understatement.

Needless to say I crash every game I play.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 30, 2011, 07:12:40 pm »

But is of fun?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 30, 2011, 07:15:01 pm »

You could try messing with the texture settings.

I notice on low texture settings it tends to crash...a lot.

Though, what I see with the game already shows promise. Treating it as a beta, or even an alpha, I feel it has the framework to turn into something truly great. Guess I'll have to wait a month to see what it was supposed to be.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #504 on: October 30, 2011, 07:19:10 pm »

Some issues is a bit of an understatement.

Needless to say I crash every game I play.
It varies quite a lot from person to person. I'm on turn 203 of a game now and have only crashed once.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 30, 2011, 10:54:29 pm »

I bought this game on sale about a week ago and have had the chance to play it a bit this past weekend. So far the Liir seem like the race for me, but I had some trouble with effective weapon choice and armor management. The main problem I have with the Liir is just how slow they warp between systems - fighting humans along nodelines meant they could reinforce the moment my fleet was detected - and since I had jammers in my fleet, they just reinforced with their huge ball of cruisers rather than take the risk that I had brought along some big guns. (Which I couldn't afford due to cruddy colonies and morale problems)

I was playing the tutorial as Liir vs. Human normal AI, and, it being my first game, I thought the light emitters sounded good, so I researched them. In combat, they tore up destroyers like paper, assuming I had at least as many destroyers at them. But once the enemy got to cruisers, those emitters were basically worthless. In fact, it seems in combat, a ship is only really effective versus its class or lighter. I at that point switched my emitters to UV lasers, in an attempt to deal more damage, and it was only partially effective. Is there any way to beat a cruiser with a small group of destroyers, and any suggestions for good early-mid game weapons? I'm thinking for Liir emitters or beams work as good targets, depending on the fleet composition of your enemy.

Likewise, early on it seemed like the AI was using mainly kinetic weapons - missiles, gauss cannons, the like, but I had no way to be sure because I didn't have the Tech-Intel research. Is there any way to tell beyond just zooming in or getting that intel?

Because of this 'observation', I switched to the kinetic-absorbing armour, but considering how easily they were torn to shreds by beam-equipped cruisers later on, I suddenly wasn't sure if the armor was worth it. Any opinions?

Of course, now that it's my second game I'm starting to figure out more things (like set ships to broadside firing for most circumstances, focus on colonization upgrades for a while to save money/time, keep your balance in the green to prevent rebellions), although there's still plenty to learn.

(Also, does the AI respect jammers? As in, does it cheat and know fleet composition even if there's a jammer with it? It seemed like the AI never used jammers/CNC ships during my fights, but then again it had a ball of cruisers and moves about 3x faster than my ships did, maybe it thought jammers were irrelevant.)
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 30, 2011, 10:57:51 pm »

I suppose if you don't have access to Data Correlation, you need to look at the battle (lasers and gauss cannon look different in battle). Also, the kinetic-absorbing armour upgrades also increase the hitpoints of the ship sections that have them, so it is useful against all weapons.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #507 on: October 31, 2011, 03:11:48 am »

The humans have the fastest FTL tech, unless you could the Hivers on defensive who'll teleport ships around. And yes, destroyers are pretty useless against cruisers unless you have a lot of destroyers. Best plan is to go for the C&C ships, which will stop then being able to reinforce during that battle, unless they have more. C&C ships can usually be picked out by a spinny thing on the ship somewhere in the middle, although the Morrigi rock the boat by having yellow sailish thingies. You'll recognise them better if you use the race, to be honest. I'd advise using a strategy posted a few pages ago for hitting hivers: several throwaway fleets with jammers and a few serious fleets, also with jammers. They've got no idea which fleet is/are the nasty ones (hopefully) so they have to spread out or pick some to trash. Odds are, you'll get at least one serious fleet in.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 31, 2011, 04:45:46 am »

But is of fun?

It's somewhat fun I think.

There are some issues you'll need to avoid, such as hivers not automatically using gates like the previous game, and trade seeming to be utterly broken.

I'm also finding the implementation of the mission system a drag, the idea is good but an extra screen or two each time you want to send a fleet out is getting to be a bore.
There also doesn't appear to be a nice way to find idle fleets, not that have ever got a new captain so appear limited to 7 fleets.

All that said I'm still playing it rather than going back to the first one.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 31, 2011, 09:34:56 am »

But is of fun?
and trade seeming to be utterly broken.

You can't build small freighters because they are cost 0 and take infinite time to build. Build orders are screwed up. I finally got a buildable freighter and can't figure out how to make them do anything.

Wait a month to play.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55