Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 119545 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #510 on: October 31, 2011, 09:59:22 am »

Ah, ok, I'll put that one on the backburner beside Elemental then. (Waiting for the new one I think, sounds more of what I was hoping WoM would be).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:31 am »

Huh. Mecron is a pretty hoopy frood. It's uncommon to see anyone take personal responsibility for snafus anymore. Makes me doubly glad I legitimized my copy of SOTS 1, and definitely means I'll keep SOTS 2 on my future purchase list.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 31, 2011, 10:13:20 am »

I keep hearing comparisons of Sots2 and Elemental: WOM. This scares me. Elemental was/is the most depressing letdown in gaming since MOO3 for me. I've been looking forward to Sots2, but can't afford it right now. Looks like I might have been saved some grief.

So many important fundamentals appear to be missing or not "wired up" in the code. Can they fix it in a month? Guess we'll see.

Looking forward to seeing how today's patch goes. Apparently it'll be up on Steam sometime "mid-morning PST."

I want to believe.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 31, 2011, 10:21:23 am »

Yeah, they really screwed up big time with this one.And it's even worse because despite all the bugs and broken stuff the game is still fun as hell at the core, hopefully they can fix it up before people change their minds permanently about Kerberos, which would be a very bad thing :(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 31, 2011, 10:30:14 am »

Kerberos has some great game design talent, but suffers from some of the worst project management I have ever seen. Remember Ft. Zombie?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 31, 2011, 10:32:30 am »

I don't think the comparison between Elemental and SoT2 is really that accurate. Elemental was a bad purchase because the fundamental game play was flawed. The game did have technical issues but the major issue was game-play itself. I got a copy of the game about halfway into the beta and it felt like the team wanted to add a whole bunch of features and do-hickies without thinking about the impact it had on the game-play.

From what I heard SoT2 has the opposite problem. I'm much more inclined to buy a fun, bug-ridden game with the promise of patching then a boring, stable game. Plus Kerberos has a great track record when it comes to improvements and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:43:19 am by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:59 am »

Ft. Zombie. Ugh. I remember.   :-\

And I do agree, Smitehappy, that the core gameplay sounds really fun/interesting, whereas Elemental just wasn't (at all, and I'm still cranky about it). Really hoping the technical bits get patched up so we can see the Real Deal.

Related note: the manual has just been updated and is available for download from Pardox Plaza.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:28 am »

I really dislike this manual. The PDF is so damn slow. They know they can't make a print copy because it's more of a "living" manual and stuff changes, but then they put out a bloated manual that takes forever to find anything because you're waiting on page turns. Streamline it and put it in epub format if you're going to "get with the times". I don't want to alt-tab and have the game and/or adobe crash. I don't want to use a second computer to read and play. I own an ereader and can use it for things like this, but it takes as long or longer to turn a page in a pdf.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #518 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:54 am »

The difference, at the risk of sounding fanboyish, is that Elemental was a poorly designed game from the start while SOTS2 is an unpolished gem. The basic game that I can see in SOTS2 is fantastic and looks well done, but specific parts of it are broken enough that it is almost unplayable right now.

That said, Kerberos was in a 'release or let die' situation with the publisher afaik and I'm glad they released it rather than letting SOTS2 die out completely. Hopefully the initial monies will let them finish it.

That said, I am a bit pissed at them for deceiving us. They should have stated right out that it was an unfinished game rather than leading up to a release day with videos and footage which don't reflect the current state of the game at all. In the videos you see ships diving and rolling around each other in combat, which they don't do on their own. In SOTS I could give my fleet a general attack order and let them do their thing while I concentrated on a part of the fleet to control manually. In SOTS2 (currently) they won't even move without you clicking.

And yes, the manual is useless, tiny and annoying.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 31, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »

I hope they get rid of the mission screen, or at least make it optional. I MUCH prefer selecting the fleet and right clicking the planet.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34:47 pm »

I think maybe we should split the threads out into SotS 1 and 2... but that is just me.

I finally picked up SotS. I was worried it was going to be one of those games with too many mechanics and too little direction, but I was (mostly) pleasantly surprised. It isn't difficult to be "okay" at the game; you aren't going to mess up your colonies or your empire beyond repair through experimentation. That being said, the game could do a way better job at explaining some things, like the difference between command modules.

Overall I like it, well worth my 5 bucks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #521 on: October 31, 2011, 03:07:00 pm »

That being said, the game could do a way better job at explaining some things, like the difference between command modules.

Do you have any specific questions? I've played SOTS1 for quite a while and can provide insights.

Edit: BTW there was a 130MB patch today for SOTS2. Anyone checked it out?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:19:58 pm by forsaken1111 »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 31, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »

I REALLY don't like the goddamn mission system, it makes assembling fleets more convoluted than it should be, unless all ships are being built on the same planet. It basically mandates that every system have a fleet base station so you can relocate
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 31, 2011, 03:43:56 pm »

Even with 130mb patch of today, there are to many little things still around  that stop me putting any more time into it. The unresponsive/slow UI is *really* getting on my nerves for some reason. *shrugs*

Ah well, I'm gonna wait a few weeks and then give it another go (or a mega patch/announcement lures me back sooner). Kerb can have my cash for now, seeing their track record and great support for Sots1.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:45:48 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 31, 2011, 04:54:44 pm »

I REALLY don't like the goddamn mission system, it makes assembling fleets more convoluted than it should be, unless all ships are being built on the same planet. It basically mandates that every system have a fleet base station so you can relocate

That was somewhat the intent - It was designed for you to make decisions to make worlds forge or gem worlds, and you are not meant to spam ships like in sots1 anymore.

I rather like the mission system, but the limitation on admirals is what is irking me right now (not enough of them to do the things i want to do), but i cant really say that doesnt fix itself by end game because i only got to turn 42 before i could not progress due to CTDs or persistent sound crashes.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55