Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 84156 times)

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Poll added--
« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »

That sounds like "If you would like to torture me, please let me know."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Now has a wiki--
« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »

Well, it may sound like that, but I do actually find enjoyment out of working on this stuff. Not too sure why.

Now with the macro thing I've got set up and am learning progressively... it's made things a lot easier.

The wiki was a little brutal at first, but I'm learning quick... patience is a virtue.

-edit-

So I'm a wee bit bored at the moment and read up on the sky fortress, which I found inspiring. I was wondering if there was anything that people wanted tested? I'll start a fort from scratch with your choice of mods and ideas.

What I'm looking at doing is making slade mineable ;)
I'm going to keep my custom reactions (mostly cause I don't want to delete them, I have them set up special)
I won't use my normal [SPEED:1][NOEXERT][NO_SLEEP][NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] Unless you specify otherwise.

So, share some thoughts on what you want me to do, who knows, I might make it a documentary.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:09:02 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2010, 11:31:43 pm »

I have a suggestion: add a few "spare" reactions in a "spare" custom workshop. THis might be the easiest way to test modded-in-reactions on the fly. (since you still can't add or remove any, right?)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »

That's what I got Flaede. I have 26 (a-z) free reaction spots to do stuff with.

My generic cheat shop...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My generic reaction slots...

These are the ones I use most often. The ones the say Dragon I was using for testing.

I had a set of reactions I used a lot for doing certain stuff, I got tired of looking through the smelter, so this is what I made.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2010, 11:59:22 pm »

Great job on the wiki!

Are there any known limits to the number of body parts/tissues a creature can have?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2010, 12:11:15 am »

Short answer... I don't know... I would assume there is no limit.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2010, 10:29:44 am »

Dunno. I couldn't add more than 32 teeth to a body entry. Might be able to get away with it, by adding "GENERIC_TEETH" a few times to the creature definition, though

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2010, 02:13:05 pm »

Well I'm not going to be around for a good portion of today I believe, but I'll get to any questions anyone has when I get back.

Also, I guess I'll just be playing df seeing as no ones made any suggestions on mods. So nevermind about that.

-edit-

Well then, so much for going out today, guess I'll be here if anyone needs me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 03:15:36 pm by Shaostoul »

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »

Is it possible to make an substance that completely melts off skin, fat and muscles but leaves the skeleton intact? As in, the only things you can get from the dead body are the bones?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »

That's what I got Flaede. I have 26 (a-z) free reaction spots to do stuff with.

My generic cheat shop...

My generic reaction slots...

These are the ones I use most often. The ones the say Dragon I was using for testing.

I had a set of reactions I used a lot for doing certain stuff, I got tired of looking through the smelter, so this is what I made.

Sweet! thanks  Shaostoul. This is probably the bit I needed to go and try to start modding again in the new version.

I'm a little curious about how hard-coded the standard workshops are. Can one narrow the focus of, say, the FarmerWorkshop? (leaving the milking to a Dairy or something, and the thread processing to a specific threshing workshop?) There are a few places where the standard workshops bottleneck intolerably for me, and this manager isn't smart enough to handle it well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:23:09 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2010, 09:15:16 pm »

Well changing the vanilla shops is (as far as I know) impossible. The only exceptions being the soap_makers and the smelter.

You COULD make custom workshops of your choice, to do what you want and present you the proper product and skill use and all that. However I don't believe you could change milking or something else that requires a live being. I believe thread work is a little specific, but again, you could make the proper reactions to do it the way you want.

Sagus, I really don't know what to tell you. I would assume fire. When cremating a body if you let it burn for only a certain amount of time, the bones won't burn.

However in Dwarf Fortress... presently... I think we're stuck waiting for the new version to come out.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2010, 10:06:46 pm »

Ah, I think you misundertood me; I meant, if it's possible to make a substance in the creature's raws that'd be able to melt off everthing but the bones, not how to do this in a Fortress.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2010, 10:56:18 pm »

Oh... in that case, I don't know. Necrosis is the closest thing I think you could get to what you want at the moment.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2010, 11:01:35 pm »

Ah, I think you misundertood me; I meant, if it's possible to make a substance in the creature's raws that'd be able to melt off everthing but the bones, not how to do this in a Fortress.

Aa self-destructing creature? or a substance that does this to the creature, but is obtained somewise else?
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:52 pm »

@Flaede, the only way I could believe it could happen is either a small amount of magma that'd dry up before the bones went. A fire where the corpse lay in it. Necrosis (but that doesn't remove the tissue, it just makes it pseudo-decay). Or an extremely hot creature to go near the corpse or creature. Or the creature could be made extremely hot, but not be able to withstand the heat and cause it to boil away to nothing but bones. However, that creature would die once it got on the map...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29