Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 84144 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Now has a wiki--
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2010, 04:06:35 pm »

Actual mud... no... again make a stone that shows up no where and pretend...

Oh, I was not expecting that one to work anymore. Just noting it DID, before, and I figured glass was free enough, and utterly free mud bricks was overdoing it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »

I could be wrong though... I'm not exactly in a very good mood... so I'm bound to make mistakes.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2010, 04:19:22 pm »

I could be wrong though... I'm not exactly in a very good mood... so I'm bound to make mistakes.

fell mood?
It is an artifact forum post! It menaces with spikes of Dwarf Bone, and is adorned with hanging rings of Dwarf Leather.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2010, 04:20:52 pm »

I edited the raws before world generation. And I know they are still alcohol dependent because after about a year I can look at at of my dwarves thoughts and preferences and they all say they could really use a drink right now (usually after a new line comes up stating that they depend on <favorite drink here> to get through the working day and become sluggish without it.)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 26, 2010, 05:09:01 pm »

Once a dwarf's caste, personality, etc. are generated, they cannot be changed by raw editing. The same thing goes for life span. Now that you've altered the raws, whatever changes to the dwarf creature you made will be applied to newly born children or migrants that arrive afterward, but they do not affect the original dwarves.

This is also partly influenced by the fact that alcohol reliance is a trait that can occasionally be generated on non-alcohol dependent races.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 26, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »

Once a dwarf's caste, personality, etc. are generated, they cannot be changed by raw editing.

But... the guy did a world regen. Are you saying that any changes to raws regarding dwarves don't matter, even after doing a world regen? That the changes apply ONLY to children and future migrants? That it is impossible to affect the original seven dwarves that start the fortress?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #291 on: May 26, 2010, 09:18:54 pm »

That's not what he is saying... Let me clarify...

This is if you DO NOT regen
All effects done to PRESENT creatures will not take effect, unless it's like noeat nosleep nodrink speed (simple stuff)
Firebreath, insane homeotherms and set temps and alcohol dependency and all that fun extra stuff (complex stuff) will persist in PRESENT creatures INDEFINITLY
So more or less, creatures presently on the map will not be effected from the change.

If you DO regen
all changes are applied. original 7 get new specs, new creatures get new specs, etc.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 26, 2010, 10:36:49 pm »

If you DO regen
all changes are applied. original 7 get new specs, new creatures get new specs, etc.

Ok, in theory anyway. But like the guy said, he didn't see the alcohol dependency go away even after world regen. And no one can actually observe the changes made in attribute or skill decay/gain rates. That's the issue that eventually brought me here. It's on the bug tracker, too. Well, sort of. Not the exact same issue but closely related.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=803
(requires log-in)

My own testing solely consisted of experimenting with the original seven dwarves after making changes to the raws (plus the world regens). So that's why I wondered if the original 7 get potentially hard-coded values...

So.. this is just great. First I wanted to run a one dwarf fortress in DF2010. Then I discover that attributes and skills decay over time, after which I immediately attempt to alter this behavior, with no result. So, after a dozen failed attempts I try out the 40d version, which tasted pretty sweet after sucking on the sour DF2010. Urist McChosenOne organizes an unfortunate accident for the other six of his team and gets to work. Several years pass and he kills dozens of creatures while defending his fort. Then one day he notices that he's rather good with his crossbow, and decides he's actually so good that he doesn't have to work anymore. And that's when I learn about the hero status, and that they essentially can't be ordered to work, once a weapon skill has reached a certain level. And all I ever wanted to see was one battle-hardened know-it-all superdwarf. Switching weapons is not a permanent solution either. It -would- be if the skill and attribute gain/decay control worked properly, but alas... It all comes together in oh so wonderfully frustrating way :/

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #293 on: May 26, 2010, 11:46:35 pm »

Meh, w/e

Bob Clarke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 27, 2010, 08:20:09 pm »

I didn't find a reaction to make fat, or soap. So I made one that works for me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which I based off of

Sorry if it's redundant, I couldn't find one with a search.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 28, 2010, 03:38:34 pm »

I can't get the lye into the barrel. Is there anything visibly wrong with this? I could get the fat in the barrel, but not the lye, so I removed the necessary tags from the fat.

Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #296 on: May 28, 2010, 03:41:28 pm »

I don't think 100 of anything fits in a barrel? Try setting it so it makes only one lye and see if it works then.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 28, 2010, 03:46:52 pm »

*facepalm*

I always miss things as simple as that. Thank you.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #298 on: May 28, 2010, 04:25:27 pm »

No problem.

I only ever remember seeing meats and seeds being stored I think at 5-20 per barrel? I forget the exact number though.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 28, 2010, 04:51:22 pm »

IIRC it was 20.

BTW, I created a link to your modding guide wiki in the modding guides section of the wiki so it can be more accessible. I saw it no where else, so I added it. I probably skipped over it somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:53:56 pm by Daywalkah »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29