Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 83846 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Now has a wiki--
« Reply #330 on: June 16, 2010, 12:30:26 am »

A corral or pen workshop referring to something to do with animals assuming.

First thing to note, is that you can't make creatures from a reaction. Just had to get this one out of the way.

If you're talking about making a fenced off area to store animals... don't cha think walls might be easier?

You can make a workshop that's like a fenced off area. You'd probably want to drop them in via a pit/pond dealio, but again, walls would probably be a lot easier for this task.

What exactly is it you're going for?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 16, 2010, 03:52:59 am »

Hello,

without hurting anybody feelings...  I see that workshop is necessary to handle reactions. But I was not
referring to reaction.  I am referring to the restraint.

I was thinking along the lines of faster breeding, reduced pathing and milking...

Well If you were referring to wall or pit technqiues...  there are two problems with the approach,

A) pets/animals will attempt to escape as documented in Wiki.   Only restraint or Cage will control this behavior.
B) pit (without ramps), means dwarves can not get inside to milk the animals (without avoiding the A)

So what i did in lieu of the A or B, use the workshop "restraint", you could mine out niches in
a room... placing alot of restraints in there. However caveat emptor,  alot of ropes/chains.

What i thought here in my brains... there must be a tag that was utilized for the building restraint... 

take this restraint tag(s), assign it to a custom workshop,  and allow users to assign animals...
thus not need to put dwarf-hours in crafting 20 ropes/chains) instead using stone/wood build the
workshop in less amount of time.

That way could create more variations of reaction  (faster breeding, controlled milking productions, etc)

Ah,  but in order to do this, need find out if there are such tags?

R

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2010, 10:47:43 am »

Ah,  but in order to do this, need find out if there are such tags?

such things are hardcoded.
I am wondering, however, if a decently sized workshop, with only one entrance were made, then you could set it up with 2 walls and a door outside. This might work as a corral, but I think that's as close as you're going to get.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2010, 05:21:19 pm »

In my opinion there is no "easy corral"

It takes ingenuity.

A workshop would in my opinion only complicate things.

You can't have a workshop help with anything related to living creatures.

If you want to spend the time to make a custom workshop that's 32x32 tiles then by all means go for it.

The way I'd do it is wall off an area, with a series of doors for an entrance. In the "corral" would be a meeting zone that the animals would gather at. I would put a roof over it with a hole in the top and drop the animals in that way. You'd use burrows for your dwarfs, mind you, you have to make every where you want your dwarfs to go only, a burrow.

What Flaede is talking about doing would be easier with walls and a door. Chains and Ropes and Cages are the easiest form of putting animals where you want them. If you so need it I'll post you a reaction for making free chains or ropes, just specify what it is you want.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2010, 06:32:36 pm »

Easiest way to have a corral for non-milking animals is to dig a pit with a ramp leading out after a small tunnel. Build a wall grate in between the ramp and the pit and link it up to a leaver. This pit will then hold any number of animals in nice non-pathfinding safty until you need some of them. When you do, just open the grate to grab whichever ones you want to butcher/train/whatever. Once every animal you care about is out of the pit, close the level and re-pit the ones you don't want out.

For manageability I tend to have a few different pits with different rules. Baby animals that can be trained go in specific generation pits until they're all adult and then let out. Meat animals are kept in one or more pits depending on how many I have. Usually I'll have the adults in one pit and throw any babies who get out during a culling into a different pit. I find that a few different pits based on animal age/when it showed up works pretty well, and I can usually solve the 'wandering animal' problem by just butchering everything in a given pit. By keeping them segregated by a given generation it's only mildly annoying to find them all on the animals list, and once they're all butchered I can just unmark any animals that happen to be in different pits if I mismarked a few.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2010, 10:54:35 pm »

Hi Shaostoul!
I am not sure I should post it here, however you tend to be patient and willing to help wannabe modders, so I'll give it a try =) My question is: is it possible to produce vermin remains in a custom reaction? I've quickly browsed through your guide but could not find a tag for such product as remains.

I love the idea of Wizard Tower mod by SethCreiyd, and I just want to tweak it a little for my needs by modding in a byproduct to some reactions. The purpose of the byproduct is to generate miasma, giving me an extra incentive to build aboveground.
Even simple rat or bat remains would suffice, although it would also be nice to mod in a special vermin that is not encountered in normal circumstances, for the sole purpose of providing necessary game object for creating 'custom' remains.

If all this is possible, of course =)
Thank you for your attention!
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #336 on: June 17, 2010, 01:06:48 am »

Heh, thanks for the compliment afoninv.

As a heads up, I have my guide thread that you should always feel free to post any questions on. Just so it avoids potentially derailing other threads.

I do enjoy helping people. Everyone has to learn some times, I wish some people would've told me a lot of what I've learned, but I had to do that the hard way, which was kinda fun.

Anyways...

I have indeed produced remains and "vermin" via reaction. However for example. When I made a "turtle" vermin, it wasn't really a turtle. When it was processed, there was no shell. I have produced "raw fish" as well, but again, no specific creature products, just generic stuff.

So a true vermin product via reaction, I don't really think is possible right now or but I could be doing something wrong.

Miasma wise, I've never kept the remains around long enough to see if any was produced, I also did a ton of my vermin tests before the nonrotting vermin fix.

I think what I was working with vermin wise was around the idea of...

[PRODUCT:100:1:VERMIN:NONE:TURTLE:NONE]

And many many variations of that. I've used VERMIN, REMAINS, RAW_FISH (Or fish_raw... i forget off the top of my head.) CORPSE, CORPSE_PIECE, etc. etc. etc. etc.

So in short... just remember, as far as I can tell right now, it won't be the true vermin.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 17, 2010, 11:14:28 am »

Thank you for your answer!

OK, now some testing results.
I added a [PRODUCT:100:1:REMAINS:NONE:TURTLE:NONE] to coal smelting reaction (.31.06). Genned a world, embarked and smelted some coal. The result is 'turtle ' (with white space after the word). That were remains (in Stocks screen named 'turtle ' both before and after Tab-expanding the menu); one went to a 1-tile refuse stockpile accepting remains only underground, one - to the same pile aboveground; one - left at the Smelter.

The one aboveground disappeared (before season change!) w/o undergoing 'rotten ' state. Other two are still there, not rotten. Tested for 3 full months, incl. season change.

For the science, of course =)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:18:15 am by afoninv »
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #338 on: June 17, 2010, 02:25:48 pm »

My guess is the way that these "pseudo-vermin" are missing a lot of the characteristics of real vermin.

I could continue to test the vermin product thing, but in my opinion, seeing as vermin are... well more or less useless, I see no reason why I should continue. Especially with the addition of Deon's Cave tortoise, a breedable turtle.

When Runesmith is able to edit creatures from alive or dead I'll do more testing on making creatures.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 17, 2010, 03:40:20 pm »

I could continue to test the vermin product thing

Oh no, not at all I was going to exploit you for my needs; I am doing some testing myself, maybe the results will be helpful to someone, just that =)

I agree that in my case vermin remains production proved itself useless. Well, so much to invent something new =)
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #340 on: June 17, 2010, 03:41:57 pm »

Well if you felt like digging through the tokens (I have majority of the useful ones on the first page) you could always try to make bone via a reaction, I've yet to do that.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2010, 05:37:11 pm »

Well, I've tried BONE item token (didn't work of course, but I had to try) and then CORPSEPIECE item token, since bones are now under 'Body parts' section of Stocks. The last one didn't give an error in errorlog at least, but it seems I was trying wrong material tokens:
Code: [Select]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:BONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CORPSEPIECE:BONE:BONE:TURTLE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CORPSEPIECE:BONES:BONE:TURTLE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CORPSEPIECE:TURTLE:BONE:TURTLE]

These reactions in-game didn't produce bone.
I'm not a great modder, really =)
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #342 on: June 17, 2010, 05:51:08 pm »

You're pretty much going through what I went through. I have yet to make any so... ya

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #343 on: June 17, 2010, 06:02:57 pm »

The following tokens I think may be used some how...

under item tokens... at least making things from creatures...

For making fat iirc
GLOB

I'm pretty sure these will be used for making proper vermin or at least vermin bodies.
FISH_RAW
VERMIN
PET

These three are a little peculiar, I believe remains is vermin corpses... I always confuse it with dwarf remains... I'm not sure if we'd want to use CORPSE or CORPSEPIECE... maybe a combo of sorts... like CORPSE:CORPSEPIECE
CORPSE
CORPSEPIECE
REMAINS

That's it for item tokens...

Matgloss tokens...
CREATURE_MAT
BONE
TOOTH
HORN
SHELL

That's just stuff off of my first page on the guide.

These are under body part type tokens but might be helpful...
VERMIN_BUTCHER_ITEM
LIMB
HEAD

possibly useful?
REACTION_CLASS
HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »

The following tokens I think may be used some how...
REACTION_CLASS

Reaction class can definitely be useful for custom reactions. It allows multiple types of items to be used for the same reaction without having to make multiple reaction entries.

For example, it's used for making Plaster, and all the stone types that you can use to make plaster have a REACTION_CLASS:GYPSUM tag. I've used it for some alchemy. I imagine you could use it to do something with, say, various skin definitions to make custom leather reactions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29