Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, returns soon]  (Read 8654 times)

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, many available]
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2010, 10:07:21 pm »

Sorry to hear about the crash, dude.

But on the bright side, strange mood and kick-ass crossbow! I request that my title henceforth be changed to "Doom Consultant".

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »

Consider it done!

And I suppose I didn't lose that much - most of it was design, which I now have a rough idea of. We had about 19 migrants, but I hadn't paid them much attention (they were only there for a few days), so we'll get new ones soon enough.

But, in the meantime, sleep.

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2010, 04:54:54 pm »

Argh, I know what you mean.  My main fort just hit year 6, and it's primarily a castle/tower fort, meaning I can play for over an hour and half without changing seasons (and thus autosaving).  I've had it crash on me like four times and it seems to always be after 30-minutes of wall designating. :/
...Eh?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2010, 05:22:42 pm »

Yeah, me too. I don't use autosave, though; I just exit-save and reload a whole lot. The way I play, I can do days of work without unpausing... Autosave would be near-useless should my game crash. But redoing a crashed design is at least twice as fast as planning its original incarnation out, so could be much worse!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2010, 08:24:01 pm »

Yay! Didn't crash this session.

19 Granite
This cat is too much - it catches fluffy wamblers at a ridiculous rate and leaves their corpses all over the place. It left one in the mechanisms for controlling the magma and almost caused a jam! It's got to go.
I spoke with Andreus, and he agreed that there hasn't been nearly enough doom in the fortress. He told me he'd take care of the rest.

22 Granite
I was topside today, admiring the imports from the minotaurs, when an idea struck me. Why not create a place in the fortress that feels like the natural caverns, but is completely safe for dwarves to walk around in and see various creatures in their normal habitat? Stroke a drunian, feed an elk bird, ride the giant cave spider!

27 Granite
I've sketched out some designs for the cavern. It'll be twice as high as our dining hall, and host all manner of subterranean creatures! Giant olms will swim in the waters and giant cave swallows will roost amongst the stalactites! The miners have started digging it out.

8 Slate
Migrants! 19 new residents of the fort, and just in time to see Andreus' new device's first performance! Even Urist McDoc rushed to finish counting every last everything in the fort to come along.

Spoiler: Kitty Kat Splat (click to show/hide)
The cat's owner was delighted to be the first to use the new toy, and was glad to be rid of that pesky cat.

Afterwards, we all had a celebration at the new well Biff set up for us - it's made of pure gold and is absolutely sublime.

24 Slate
Zon Fernbusts helped me figure out how we'd feed the ponds in the cavern, and the miners finished digging. I even got to pull the levers to start it flooding!

16 Felsite
Urist McDoc returned to the hospital only to find Urist McCoy and Tholtig Aran being taught by a couple of newcomers who'd taken over in his absence. Apparently they're reluctant to let McDoc take control again, and claim to have all sorts of 'official' qualifications. Not sure where they got those, since there was never anything of the sort back in Zealrelics. The only officially recognised doctors were the ones that got paid by the queen. Just like everything else.

Current State of the Fort:
On the whole, coming along nicely. Still plenty of things to do (workshops/bedrooms/military), which are all being done in small amounts, and keep taking longer due to having multiple projects, etc. But progress! Of course, as the bedrooms were finally being finished, we got a load of migrants, so that's a whole load more to be furnished! :D
Spoiler: Status Screen (click to show/hide)

Goals:
Spoiler: Immediate Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Long-Term Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Experience Gains (click to show/hide)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »

Beautiful update. By the way... I'm going to die in the first invasion, I just know it! Please don't let me :-\
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:52 pm »

No way is that gonna happen. You'll be in steel, running in with your axe as giant eagles swoop around you and blades swing out from the ground under your foes!

The minotaurs of the Squashed Monsters will be big, but they keep to the goblin ways and have lost the arts of steel and of some of their traditional weaponry (i.e. fecking big axes),

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2010, 09:27:19 pm »

I think we'll be facing generic goblins, though, so it works out well enough for us. Invaders are generated on the spot, and they're all (with the exception of historical figures) generated as the main race of the civ as defined in the raws.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2010, 09:52:36 pm »

Then again, it's not the invaders we have to worry about so much as their mounts. I've heard of jabberers and rutherers and other crazy underground beasties being used as mounts, so it's not unheard of. I'm glad my lil' miner is going to stay inside and dig where it's safe :D

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2010, 08:51:20 am »

I saw a goblin riding a giant cave swallow man the other day. It was funny, he kept hopping between z-levels.

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2010, 11:16:22 am »

a goblin riding a giant cave swallow man
Not the first mental image I wanted today.
...Eh?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »

Dude, I just saw a goblin riding a giant cave swallow, man...

Fixed.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2010, 05:03:09 pm »

Sigh - crash again. No major losses, just some stone hauling and dumping and stuff, as I saved after painstakingly setting up stockpiles in the workshop area (going through and removing every entry of fat and not entry of tallow for lye-making can take a while, for example).

We got another artifact, and one of our legendary furnace operators is now also a legendary bone carver. Finished up the cavern, too. The dwarves seem to like it. Who wouldn't want to visit a petting zoo where an arachnoid predator several times your size is only barely chained up? :D

Even the piglet's getting cuddly with it.

Will pick up from where I left off tomorrow!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:05:16 pm by Samthere »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »

It's tame...

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2010, 05:06:16 pm »

How tame can you really trust a giant cave spider to be, though? Is it really possible to get such a creature to ignore its instincts?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9