Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Terraformers. Ended.  (Read 11958 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraformers. Round 1: Turn 8.
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »

YOU REQUIRE MORE PYLONS OXYGENS
.06 ATM TO BE EXACT

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2010, 06:53:23 pm »

My bet is on Cheddarius. If you don't know why, than you should look at the "How to score" spoiler again.

Mainly because Cheddarius is doing mars, which is obviously the easiest of all of them to terraform (as its the most earthlike) and Ironyowl is trying to put atmosphere on an asteroidal moon which isn't going to hold that atmosphere.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2010, 06:56:27 pm »

Ironyowl is trying to put atmosphere on an asteroidal moon which isn't going to hold that atmosphere.
Yeah it will. It's a game, not real life, you can put 3500 ATMs of oxygen on a pebble given enough turns.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »

Ironyowl is trying to put atmosphere on an asteroidal moon which isn't going to hold that atmosphere.
Yeah it will. It's a game, not real life, you can put 3500 ATMs of oxygen on a pebble given enough turns.

Oh, okay. I didn't know how the mechanics would work for that game.

Ironyowl still has to increase the gravity of that moon, and if he's not careful, it'll end up crashing into mars

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »

Irony will suffer a greater gravity penalty then Ched or Ukrainian. Putting Irony back about 50 points for Ukrainian, and about 80 for Ched. When temperature stops being useful, Irony will have nothing else to do but crash asteroids into Demos.

I don't think I'll ever have demos crash into mars, I'm thinking of removing solar disasters. I just lack the needed imagination.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2010, 07:07:01 pm »

Yeah, I did pick first, so I have a good advantage there. I thought maybe Mercury could be colonized, but it has awful base temp.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2010, 07:11:25 pm »

Also: Ched will get the 200 bonus for habibability, Irony won't (Too little gravity).

Actually, Mercury loses a lot of temperature for each ATM of anti-greenhouse gas. ~6.3 Degrees to be exact, so each turn one person could get ~37.8 points. Though it varies with the atmosphere pressure.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »

Irony will suffer a greater gravity penalty then Ched or Ukrainian. Putting Irony back about 50 points for Ukrainian, and about 80 for Ched. When temperature stops being useful, Irony will have nothing else to do but crash asteroids into Demos.

I don't think I'll ever have demos crash into mars, I'm thinking of removing solar disasters. I just lack the needed imagination.

Yea, that too. I would say keep the solar disasters, when we get to other systems with different kinds of orbits, it should get more interesting.

Yeah, I did pick first, so I have a good advantage there. I thought maybe Mercury could be colonized, but it has awful base temp.

If there was a way to remove atmospheric pressure and gases, Venus could work, although challenging. If Titan didn't have the glitched base temperature, that wouild be viable. Titan also appears to have a little bit higher gravity than Mars for some reason, which doesn't seem correct to me.

Edit: Checked wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28moon%29 ) and it says that titan has 0.14 g, but since the base temp is glitched as well, I guess we can just blame steve for that one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:15:40 pm by smjjames »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:53 pm »

You can remove .06 atm per month, but even  in a full round you'd only remove one percent of Venus's ludicrously thick atmosphere.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:03 pm »

You can remove .06 atm per month, but even  in a full round you'd only remove one percent of Venus's ludicrously thick atmosphere.

I see. Given time, it could be possible, but won't work for this game.

Titan is glitched up anyway.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:24 pm »

Well, the problems with solar disasters is that it's 100% made up, Aurora doesn't simulate increases in gravity or orbit changes. And I'm not that creative.

Titan suffers the poor base temperature because Steve likely was trying to get titan, with it's large atmosphere, to the same temperature as the surrounding moons. Not that I like it at all.

Venus is THE WORST planet you could try to terraform, try doing it in Aurora, it'll take years.

Also: Aurora generated systems will be quite interesting.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:21:06 pm by Tarran »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2010, 07:24:39 pm »

Well, the problems with solar disasters is that it's 100% made up, Aurora doesn't simulate increases in gravity or orbit changes. And I'm not that creative.

Oh, blame me for not knowing what physics Aurora simulates. sorry.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2010, 07:34:33 pm »

Anyway, Here's tips for everyone who will participate in the next round:

The worse the planet is the more potential. But is harder to terraform to ideal.

The better the planet is the less potential. But is easier to terraform to ideal.

Mercury type planets can net a lot of points from temperature, but each turn lowering the temperature is one less for other stuff.

Never go for Venus type planets. Never.

Toxic planets offer a lot of points for removing the toxins, but removing the toxins means less turns to do anything else.

Look for planets that have decent gravity. Or work like heck to increase the gravity.

Watch out for planets with lower than average Albedo.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2010, 07:48:20 pm »

Hey. If I understand this correctly, you score using the points you accumulated during the game, plus a "final score" based on the planet, correct? Because you have stuff like "-5 points for every 0.01 ATM away from human's ideal oxygen ATM amount", and that only makes sense if you check it at the end.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2010, 07:50:15 pm »

Hey. If I understand this correctly, you score using the points you accumulated during the game, plus a "final score" based on the planet, correct? Because you have stuff like "-5 points for every 0.01 ATM away from human's ideal oxygen ATM amount", and that only makes sense if you check it at the end.
Yep, I check it at the end. I add points per turn so I don't screw up the final turn.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7